[NEohioPAL]Daniel Thomspon is 69 years old TODAY - April 21, 2004

Oonawolf at aol.com Oonawolf at aol.com
Wed Apr 21 07:51:11 PDT 2004

Dear Folks,

Well for a man born during National Poetry Month, the last couple of years
have brought significant changes.  While enjoying probably his most prolific
period, Daniel Thompson is once again facing a battle with leukemia.

The good news is he was given another option on treatment; and he decided on
a new drug which would not be as toxic as chemotherapy.  He will undergo this
new therapy in the next week or so, on an out-patient basis.  Daniel told me
that he does not want to be in the hospital for thirty days; because he has
"things to do".  He is actually in better shape than two years ago, right before
we departed for Drumplay's first European tour.  In July of 2002, he was first
diagnosed with this disease.  He succesfully underwent chemotherapy; and the
leukemia has been in remission.

>From that first tour came "Under the Map of the World Where I Sleep",
recorded in Verviers, Belgium, at the Spirit of 66.  For more info on that one,
please go to www.cdbaby.com/drumplay.

Last year at Festival International de Musique Universitaire in Belfort,
France, we recorded our just-released CD "Dayshine to Stars-end", featuring Benoit
Moerlen on marimba.  Some of you may know Benoit's name from his work with
Gong and the Mike Oldfield Band.  Daniel has never sounded better in terms of
delivering his poetry over our percussion.  See Harvey Pekar's review in the
April 7, 2004, edition of the Cleveland Free Times.

Please join us tonight @ 7:00 p.m., as Drumplay and friends (Katie Daley, Maj
Ragain, et al) wish Daniel another year of life on the planet.  I would like
to think that all of this productivity has helped to keep Daniel with us; and
I wish him many more years to come - and in good health!  Our poet laureate
has been an inspiration to me (and many others); and he has many people in his
life who love him.  There can be no greater riches.

We hope to see you, tonight, at the Algebra Tea House, 2136 Murray Hill Road
(about the middle of the street), in Little Italy.  Phone number is 421-9007.
Please bring a potluck dish or dessert to share, or for a small fee, enjoy
cous-cous, prepared "Libya" style by the proprietor, Ayman.

Drumplay will be doing our thing; and the evening will feature some of our
area's finest poets and performers   There is no admission charge.  Just bring
yourself, your good thoughts and/or food (don't forget, we vegetarians); and
please help us to honor Daniel Thompson, the poet laureate of Cuyahoga County.

And we can all make a pact to do it again, next year.  We want to see Daniel
hit the big 7 0.  Peace.

James Onysko