[NEohioPAL]Cleveland Poet Daniel Thompson Died

Kevin Cronin bodwin_theatre_company at hotmail.com
Thu May 6 15:12:22 PDT 2004

Arts Friends:  I'm sorry to pass along some very sad news, but Daniel
Thompson died early this morning. For those who appreciated his lyrical
talent, it's a serious loss. For those who shared his political passion for
fairness and honesty in government, it's a serious loss. For anyone who
admired creativity, commitment, passion and a warm laugh, it's a loss.

In addition to his writing, Daniel performed with the world music percussion
group, Drumplay.  Daniel had a range of very serious health problems and
complications and recently went back to the hospital for another round of
treatment.  On the day he started treatment (on an out-patient basis),
Drumplay hosted a birthday party for him in Cleveland's Little Italy
neighborhood and he was royally feted with friends from everywhere.  He
talked frankly about is health problems, but also the energy remaining, as
well as offering a few political verses about the President. That's a great
way to remember the poet laureate of Cuyahoga County, a man with a '60s
"beat poet" sensibility, teaching in his 21st century role.  I'll miss him.

Kevin Cronin
Bodwin Theatre
Cleveland
216.374.7578