[NEohioPAL]DELETE NOW: A Satirical Review of Kent Stage Players' "Laughter on the 23rd Floor"

Mike and Ike limeyhick2 at yahoo.com
Sun May 30 20:11:05 PDT 2004

--0-611901266-1085973065=:11756

WARNING:  MAX DUGAN RETURNED AND NO ONE CARED

MIKE: (English accent) Greetings and salutations.  He’s not Mike.

IKE: (Southern accent) He ain’t Ike.

M:  When one thinks of Neil Simon, several things immediately spring to mind.

I:  Vomit?

M:  Snappy one liners.

I:  Snappy, one note characters.

M:  Moments of extreme hilarity.

I:  Punctuated by dialogue so bad ya wanna break either your eardrums or Simon’s fingers.

M:  And beneath it all an important message that resonates for all who hear it.

I:  Vomit!

M:  One thing that doesn’t spring to mind when you think about Neil Simon is underwear.

I:  And let’s face it.  If it does . . . damn!

M:  Underwear should not factor into it at all.  You’re there to laugh, or in the case of “The Dinner Party” wonder why you’re not.  So, would someone please explain to me why I spent fifteen minutes last Thursday wondering if the lead in “Laughter on the 23rd Floor” was freeballing!

I:  Cause that’s what you do.

M:  Oh, come on!  You’re the one that started the three-day “Stormtrooper shorts” debate.

I:  You kept it goin.’

PAUSE

M:  There is a moment early in Act One where Max Prince, the alcoholic, drug abusing, violent—

I:  But loveable!

M:  --host of a popular 1950’s TV show drops trou.  In the 83 gazillion other productions of this I’ve seen, he’s always in boxer shorts.  THIS TIME, I don’t know what he was wearing.  What the shirttails didn’t cover well-placed hands did.

I:  Both his.  We ain’t in Amsterdam.

M:  We’re told Max has “the biggest show on television.”  You didn’t have to prove it to us!

I:  Thankfully, pants were returned, order was restored to the universe and we could focus again on the story, which is apparently what happens when you put six Jews and a Catholic in a room with a typewriter and a lot of cocaine.  You get the WB’s Fall schedule.

M:  Ike.

I:  Which is a lot funnier than this show.

M:  Isaac!

I:  Look, I give the director (Who shall remain nameless cause he talked mean to us) credit for casting a black man as Max and attemptin’ to prove that Simon’s not just for white people anymore.  It adds a couple of mildly interesting twists (Him liking the minstrel song is both pretty damn brilliant and creepy at the same time.  It’s a real “Network” moment).  Plus, he has a good cast and some kick ass controlled chaos.  However, it’s still Neil Simon and, in my own not so humble opinion, except for “Murder By Death,” NEIL SIMON SHOWS SUCK CICADA CYSTS!

M:  Nice alliteration.

I:  Thank ya.  So what are we seein’ next?

M:  “Barefoot in the Park.”

PAUSE

I:  He was wearin’ a thong.

M:  Shut up!

COMING SOON:  The Complete History of Theatre (Abridged) Course 3 and a special Mike and Ike farewell to Kent Stage Players

--0-611901266-1085973065=:11756

<DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>WARNING:  MAX DUGAN RETURNED AND NO ONE CARED</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>MIKE: (English accent) Greetings and salutations.  He’s not Mike.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>IKE: (Southern accent) He ain’t Ike.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>M:  When one thinks of Neil Simon, several things immediately spring to mind.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I:  Vomit?</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>M:  Snappy one liners.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I:  Snappy, one note characters.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>M:  Moments of extreme hilarity.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I:  Punctuated by dialogue so bad ya wanna break either your eardrums or Simon’s fingers.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>M:  And beneath it all an important message that resonates for all who hear it.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I:  Vomit!</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>M:  One thing that doesn’t spring to mind when you think about Neil Simon is underwear.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I:  And let’s face it.  If it does . . . damn!</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>M:  Underwear should not factor into it at all.  You’re there to laugh, or in the case of “The Dinner Party” wonder why you’re not.  So, would someone please explain to me why I spent fifteen minutes last Thursday wondering if the lead in “Laughter on the 23rd Floor” was freeballing!</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I:  Cause that’s what you do.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>M:  Oh, come on!  You’re the one that started the three-day “Stormtrooper shorts” debate. </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I:  You kept it goin.’</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>PAUSE</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>M:  There is a moment early in Act One where Max Prince, the alcoholic, drug abusing, violent—</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I:  But loveable!</DIV>
<DIV><BR>M:  --host of a popular 1950’s TV show drops trou.  In the 83 gazillion other productions of this I’ve seen, he’s always in boxer shorts.  THIS TIME, I don’t know what he was wearing.  What the shirttails didn’t cover well-placed hands did.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I:  Both his.  We ain’t in Amsterdam.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>M:  We’re told Max has “the biggest show on television.”  You didn’t have to prove it to us!</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I:  Thankfully, pants were returned, order was restored to the universe and we could focus again on the story, which is apparently what happens when you put six Jews and a Catholic in a room with a typewriter and a lot of cocaine.  You get the WB’s Fall schedule.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>M:  Ike.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I:  Which is a lot funnier than this show.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>M:  Isaac!</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I:  Look, I give the director (Who shall remain nameless cause he talked mean to us) credit for casting a black man as Max and attemptin’ to prove that Simon’s not just for white people anymore.  It adds a couple of mildly interesting twists (Him liking the minstrel song is both pretty damn brilliant and creepy at the same time.  It’s a real “Network” moment).  Plus, he has a good cast and some kick ass controlled chaos.  However, it’s still Neil Simon and, in my own not so humble opinion, except for “Murder By Death,” NEIL SIMON SHOWS SUCK CICADA CYSTS!</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>M:  Nice alliteration.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I:  Thank ya.  So what are we seein’ next?</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>M:  “Barefoot in the Park.”</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>PAUSE</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I:  He was wearin’ a thong.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>M:  Shut up!<BR></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>To read Mike and Ike's views on the Friend's finale, Van Helsing, and Troy go to <A href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/limeyhick/">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/limeyhick/</A>  </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>COMING SOON:  The Complete History of Theatre (Abridged) Course 3 and a special Mike and Ike farewell to Kent Stage Players</DIV></DIV><p>
--0-611901266-1085973065=:11756--