[NEohioPAL]Broadcast Journalism Class with Casey Coleman

DazebyDaze1 at aol.com DazebyDaze1 at aol.com
Sat Jun 19 11:17:49 PDT 2004

--part1_1a6.25422818.2e05dd4d_boundary

For the second five weeks of the Summer 2004 semester, Cuyahoga Community
College's Western Campus is offering a Broadcast Journalism Class, instructed by
Ohio's Sportscaster of the Year, Casey Coleman.

The class meets June 28 - July 28, 2004 on Monday and Wednesday evenings from
7:00 - 9:40 p.m. If you're interested please contact Journalism and Mass
Communication Coordinator Jerome McKeever, Ph. D, as soon as possible, but no
later than Monday, June 28, 2004. The best way to reach him is by email at:
jerome.mckeever at tri-c.edu. The class is: JMC 2220: Broadcast Journalism.

Below is Casey Coleman's Course Description:

Heavy on writing. Writing a column. Feature type story on a live event.
Writing on deadline. 1:30 and then editing the piece to 1:00 three minutes later.

Writing a recap at a live event, and students get to see what it's like to
sit in a press box during a game. The students get all of the pre-game info the
media gets. Regarding this summer's course, I talked with the Tribe yesterday
and it looks like we will be able to take the class to a game and have the
students cover it and see what the media receives before every game and have them
talk to PR folks, etc, and maybe a day at Browns camp too. Going to an event
and having students do a story makes it all so real and they get a sense of
deadlines and content limitations.

I take the class to WTAM studios to learn how to record and edit on
computers, which is the standard in the biz these days, no more tapes, recorders, etc.

I have up to six guest lecturers, people in the industry, TV, radio, and hard
print to talk about 45 minutes or so regarding life in the medium.

We talk about ethics, interviewing, researching and all the basics that go
into the writing, audio, and video.

And of course, we spend four classes in the TV studio and everyone gets to do
several on-set takes and keep the tapes. Also, students learn to direct,
switch, run camera, and the TelePrompter.

By the end of the course, each student will have two audio CDs, several
writing pieces to include in a portfolio, and of course, a video tape.

I distribute hand-outs that I have gleaned from various publications over the
years on ethics, interviewing, researching stories, etc.

That's it in a nutshell. I would say that you take this course and you're
well on the way to opportunities for a job in the biz.

If interested, contact Dr. McKeever as soon as possible at:
jerome.mckeever at tri-c.edu

--part1_1a6.25422818.2e05dd4d_boundary

=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">For the second five weeks of the Su=
mmer 2004 semester, Cuyahoga Community College's Western Campus is offering=20=
a Broadcast Journalism Class, instructed by Ohio's Sportscaster of the Year,=
 Casey Coleman.<BR>
<BR>
The class meets June 28 - July 28, 2004 on Monday and Wednesday evenings fro=
m 7:00 - 9:40 p.m. If you're interested please contact Journalism and Mass C=
ommunication Coordinator Jerome McKeever, Ph. D, as soon as possible, but no=
 later than Monday, June 28, 2004. The best way to reach him is by email at:=
<BR>
jerome.mckeever at tri-c.edu. The class is: JMC 2220: Broadcast Journalism.<BR>
<BR>
Below is Casey Coleman's Course Description:<BR>
<BR>
Heavy on writing. Writing a column. Feature type story on a live event. Writ=
ing on deadline. 1:30 and then editing the piece to 1:00 three minutes later=
.<BR>
<BR>
Writing a recap at a live event, and students get to see what it's like to s=
it in a press box during a game. The students get all of the pre-game info t=
he media gets. Regarding this summer's course, I talked with the Tribe yeste=
rday and it looks like we will be able to take the class to a game and have=20=
the students cover it and see what the media receives before every game and=20=
have them talk to PR folks, etc, and maybe a day at Browns camp too. Going t=
o an event and having students do a story makes it all so real and they get=20=
a sense of deadlines and content limitations.<BR>
<BR>
I take the class to WTAM studios to learn how to record and edit on computer=
s, which is the standard in the biz these days, no more tapes, recorders, et=
c.<BR>
<BR>
I have up to six guest lecturers, people in the industry, TV, radio, and har=
d print to talk about 45 minutes or so regarding life in the medium.<BR>
<BR>
We talk about ethics, interviewing, researching and all the basics that go i=
nto the writing, audio, and video.<BR>
<BR>
And of course, we spend four classes in the TV studio and everyone gets to d=
o several on-set takes and keep the tapes. Also, students learn to direct, s=
witch, run camera, and the TelePrompter.<BR>
<BR>
By the end of the course, each student will have two audio CDs, several writ=
ing pieces to include in a portfolio, and of course, a video tape.<BR>
<BR>
I distribute hand-outs that I have gleaned from various publications over th=
e years on ethics, interviewing, researching stories, etc.<BR>
<BR>
That's it in a nutshell. I would say that you take this course and you're we=
ll on the way to opportunities for a job in the biz.<BR>
<BR>
If interested, contact Dr. McKeever as soon as possible at: <BR>
<B>jerome.mckeever at tri-c.edu</B><BR>
<BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_1a6.25422818.2e05dd4d_boundary--