[NEohioPAL]Once On This Island - Weekends in July

Rebecca Summers rsummers at kent.edu
Thu Jun 24 10:26:48 PDT 2004

--B_3170928408_1127385

Once On This Island

On Stage Weekends in July
At the Streetsboro Community Theatre

Based on the novel My Love, My Love by Rosa Guy, the show is a twist on the
traditional "Little Mermaid" tale, and tells the story of Ti Moune, a poor
peasant girl who falls in love with Daniel, an upper class boy whose life
she saves after a car crash. Central to the story are four gods that the
peasants believe rule their lives. The gods of Love, (Erzulie) Earth
(Asaka), Water (Agwe), and Death (Papa Ge) cause the lives of the young
lovers to intersect, and send Ti Moune on the fateful journey that tests th=
strength of her love.

Set in the French Antilles, Once On This Island boasts a score that is
immediately and continually reflective of its Caribbean roots. There are
rousing, upbeat numbers like "Mama Will Provide," and "Some Say," as well a=
poignant ballads like "The Human Heart" and "Forever Yours".  The story is
told through its nineteen musical numbers.

 Once On This Island originated at Playwrights Horizons on April 6, 1990. I=
opened at the Booth Theater on Broadway on October 18, 1990 and played for
469 performances. The show also received eight Tony Award Nominations,
including Best Musical, Best Score and Best Book.  Bringing the show to lif=
is Director Lisa Pyles, Assistant Director Adam Alderson, Musical Director
Barbara Bellamy, Orchestra Director Cheryl Sage and Choreographers Rebecca
Summers and Caitlin Maxwell.

The show features a talented cast of performers ages 5 through 21 led by
Seth Murphy, Kristin Sarver, Anthony May and Dina Nocifora as the gods;
Kathleen Rooney as Ti Moune and Andrew Parmelee as Daniel.   The show also
features Vince Azzarello as Tonton Julian and Elizabeth Waikman as Mama
Euralie; and the storytellers who narrate the show, Kevin Beltz, Brett
Pucillo, Tina Springston, Katie Vogias, Ashley Snyder and Tiffany Stoker.
The entire show is backed with a singing-dancing chorus of teens and
children. The teen and children=B9s chorus will alternate performances.

Once on This Island opens on July 2 at 7:30.  Additional performances will
be held July 3, 9, 10, 11, 15, 16, 17, 18, 22, 23, and 24 at the Streetsbor=
Municipal Building, 9184 St. Rt. 43. Ticket prices are $7.00/Students,
$8.00/Seniors and $10.00/Adults.  For reservations or more information,
please call the box office at 330-626-9427.

--B_3170928408_1127385

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Once On This Island - Weekends in July</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
<FONT COLOR=3D"#008000"><FONT SIZE=3D"5">Once On This Island<BR>
<BR>
</FONT>On Stage Weekends in July <BR>
At the Streetsboro Community Theatre<BR>
</FONT><BR>
Based on the novel My Love, My Love by Rosa Guy, the show is a twist on the=
 traditional "Little Mermaid" tale, and tells the story of Ti Moun=
e, a poor peasant girl who falls in love with Daniel, an upper class boy who=
se life she saves after a car crash. Central to the story are four gods that=
 the peasants believe rule their lives. The gods of Love, (Erzulie) Earth (A=
saka), Water (Agwe), and Death (Papa Ge) cause the lives of the young lovers=
 to intersect, and send Ti Moune on the fateful journey that tests the stren=
gth of her love. <BR>
<BR>
Set in the French Antilles, Once On This Island boasts a score that is imme=
diately and continually reflective of its Caribbean roots. There are rousing=
, upbeat numbers like "Mama Will Provide," and "Some Say,&quo=
t; as well as poignant ballads like "The Human Heart" and "Fo=
rever Yours".  The story is told through its nineteen musical numb=
ers.<BR>
<BR>
 <I>Once On This Island</I> originated at Playwrights Horizons on Apri=
l 6, 1990. It opened at the Booth Theater on Broadway on October 18, 1990 an=
d played for 469 performances. The show also received eight Tony Award Nomin=
ations, including Best Musical, Best Score and Best Book.  Bringing the=
 show to life is Director Lisa Pyles, Assistant Director Adam Alderson, Musi=
cal Director Barbara Bellamy, Orchestra Director Cheryl Sage and Choreograph=
ers Rebecca Summers and Caitlin Maxwell. <BR>
<BR>
The show features a talented cast of performers ages 5 through 21 led by Se=
th Murphy, Kristin Sarver, Anthony May and Dina Nocifora as the gods; Kathle=
en Rooney as Ti Moune and Andrew Parmelee as Daniel.   The show al=
so features Vince Azzarello as Tonton Julian and Elizabeth Waikman as Mama E=
uralie; and the storytellers who narrate the show, Kevin Beltz, Brett Pucill=
o, Tina Springston, Katie Vogias, Ashley Snyder and Tiffany Stoker. The enti=
re show is backed with a singing-dancing chorus of teens and children. The t=
een and children’s chorus will alternate performances.<BR>
<BR>
<I>Once on This Island</I> opens on July 2 at 7:30.  Additional perfor=
mances will be held July 3, 9, 10, 11, 15, 16, 17, 18, 22, 23, and 24 at the=
 Streetsboro Municipal Building, 9184 St. Rt. 43. Ticket prices are $7.00/St=
udents, $8.00/Seniors and $10.00/Adults.  For reservations or more info=
rmation, please call the box office at 330-626-9427.</FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--B_3170928408_1127385--