[NEohioPAL]Berko Review: 'HOT N THROBBIN' at convergence-continuum

Roy Berko royberko at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 3 12:57:35 PDT 2004

CONVERGENCE-CONTINUUM STAYS ITS COURSE WITH ‘HOT N
THROBBING’

Roy Berko

(Member, American Theatre Critics Association)

--THE TIMES NEWSPAPERS--

Lorain County Times--Westlaker Times--Lakewood News
Times--Olmsted-Fairview Times

Convergence-continuum theatre has built its reputation
by doing controversial, thought-provoking plays that
most other theatres in this area wouldn’t touch.  And,
they tend to do them very well, especially when Clyde
Simon is at the directing helm.  Their newest staging,
Paula Voegel’s ‘HOT N THROBBING’ is exactly this
theatre’s cup of tea.  It is somewhat abstract,
appeals to a certain nitch audience, and fits well
into its 50-seat venue.

‘Hot N Throbbing’ tells the story of a dysfunctional
family fighting its way to destruction. Charlene, who
writes women's erotica to support her 16-year-old
daughter and 14-year-old son, is both attracted to and
repelled by her ex-husband Clyde, who can't seem to
leave her alone despite a restraining order.  The play
also offers two other voices: a woman whose dialogue
represents Charlene's inner thoughts and a man who
represents a variety of characters, including the male
part of Charlene and the fears that Clyde has
instilled in her.

But the play’s purpose is more than what appears on
the surface.  In reality, the script delves into the
connections between sex, power and domestic abuse.  As
the director of a recent production in Washington, DC
comments, "This is a dangerous and exciting play that
is both screamingly funny and deeply devastating.”

Even the title evokes comments.  The DC director
stated, "I think that the title is a comment on the
relationship between sex and violence and how we are
very mixed up about those two topics in our society.
We love to be titillated, but we chastise those who
titillate us. We have one of the biggest, if not THE
biggest, sex industries in the world, and the highest
level of violence.  I think that Paula Vogel wants us
to go through that twist, to hear the title and get
kind of excited, giggly, and then to realize that it
is a play about domestic violence."

Vogel has been accused of being a cerebral and
inaccessable writer.  ‘HOT N THROBBIN’ is that.  But,
it does give one a chance to think, and that’s a
purpose that most theatrical pieces don’t do.

The convergence-continuum has a strong cast who
clearly understand their roles.  Times Tribute Award
winner Lucy Bredeson-Smith, who doesn’t know how to be
ineffective on a stage, has the right tone and and
gives a multi-textured performance as Charlene.   John
Regan’s Clyde is just too slimy for words.  He is
appropriately unkempt, pathetic and obnoxious.
Geoffrey Hoffman’s slouching, slumping, geeky
peformance is right on key.  Though Jovanna Batkovic
isn’t always believable, she pulls off the part of the
teenage rebellious Leslie Ann.   Sheila O’Toole,
especially when she is acting out scenes from
Charlene’s writing, is excellent.  Cliff Baily is
inconsistent as the male voice.

CAPSULE JUDGEMENT:  The question that winds its way
through every scene in
‘HOT N THROBBING’ seems to be, “What happened to the
human elements of tenderness, affection and a shared
experience?”  You won’t get the answers in the
convergence-continuum production, but you will
continue to think about possible answers long after
you’ve left the theatre.

‘HOT N THROBBING’ runs at 8 pm Thursdays, Fridays and
Saturdays through July 17 at convergence-continuum’s
artistic home, The Liminis, at 2438 Scranton Rd. in
Cleveland’s Tremont neighborhood.  Tickets are $12
general admission and $9 for students and seniors. For
information and reservations call 216-687-0074.
Seating is limited to 45.

=====
Roy Berko's web page can be found at royberko.info and many of his theatre and dance reviews appear on artscleveland.net.