[NEohioPAL]Rare Meisner Class at Dobama - a few spaces left

Victor D'Altorio vdaltorio at neo.rr.com
Mon Jul 5 16:52:48 PDT 2004

--=====================_22720780==.ALT

--=====================_22720780==.ALT

only place you can act is in front of an audience, or a camera.<br>
Everything else is preparation.<br>
Good acting is personal.<br>
It's genuine, intimate, spontaneous.<br>
 The character is you--always you--<br>
Living truthfully under imaginary circumstances.<br>
boundaries<br>
for expressiveness, depth of feeling, specificity of response.<br>
<b>Victor D'Altorio<br>
</b>Meisner classes<br>
L.A. Weekly critics best director 2000<br>
Chicago's most recommended acting teacher <br>
by agents and casting directors 1993-98<br>
<b><i>"Victor guides the actor right to the truth, and to a very
specific truth,<br>
which is really rare. He creates an atmosphere of total safety.<br>
Sometimes I wanted to smack him on the head when he directed me!<br>
He insists that every moment be honest, specific, and fully alive.<br>
I absolutely loved working with him."<br>
</i><div align="right">Megan Mullally, Karen Walker on Will &
Grace<br>
Emmy Award, Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series<br>
</b></div>
A New 8-week Meisner session will begin on Sunday July 11 <br>
<b>Deadline for registration Friday July 9<br>
</b> <br>
Sunday Evening Class<br>
5:45-10pm Limited to 16 people<br>
July 11, 18, 25, Aug 1, 8, 15, 22,
Monday eveningclass is
price: $275<br>
Cost is $325 with a $50 discount if the entire amount is paid in full
before the first class.<br>
Where: Dobama Theatre, 1846 Coventry Road, Cleveland Heights OH
44118<br>
Contact: Victor D'Altorio at vdaltorio at neo.rr.com<br>
Singers spend hours vocalizing up and down the scales. Dancers stretch
and bend at a bar. The actor must exercise the mechanism that allows for
flexibility and freedom of expression--the ability to listen and respond
truthfully, fully, freely and spontaneously. First as oneself. Then, with
the addition of a specific set of imaginary circumstances. Sanford
Meisner's repetition exercise is the basis for the work.<br>
<b>Particular emphasis is placed on listening and responding to the other
person in an honest and specific way. <br>
</b> <br>
The goal: to experience a flow state of mind and heart, free of
conventionalized behaviors and preconceived responses.<br>
Lose self-consciousness by focusing outwardly.<br>
Respond to what's happening -not to what's expected or desired.<br>
Unblock/Expand your range of expression.<br>
Express fully, feely, and spontaneously.<br>
Surprise yourself with your own unanticipated responses.<br>
Relate to the imaginary circumstance in a much more specific way.<br>
Allow the dialogue to ride on the moment-don't play the meaning of the
lines.<br>
off-Broadway called Talking Minks, and he is, easily, one of the best
directors Ive worked with. Recently I recommended to a young actor on
"The West Wing" that he take Victor's acting class, and the
change in his work after only a few months was astonishing. His tendency
to dramatize was gone and his sense of truth and commitment to the moment
much, much stronger. He had more confidence, more presence, more
charisma--which can't be taught, of course--but it emerged with the
stronger sense of self he developed under Vic's tutelage."<br>
Emmy Award, Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series</b></h3><br><br>
<b><i>“Victor’s ability to facilitate honest, unembellished communication
between people is phenomenal. He’s not satisfied until each moment is as
specific as possible and perfectly clear. His understanding of Sanford
Meisner’s work--and Meisner was a genius, certainly--is so complete that
people who’ve worked on the Meisner exercises for years feel they’re
brand new when they work with Vic.” <br>
Emmy-nominated, Best Supporting Actress/Drama Series<br>
Emmy-nominated, Best Director/Drama series, The West
<h3><b>Victor D'Altorio is a teacher, director, and actor. From 1990-98
he was one of Chicago's most respected, most recommended acting teachers
at The Actors' Center, the Windy City's best known professional training
program. From 98-02 he had his own private studio in Los Angeles, where
he taught class and privately coached many actors for TV and film. He was
the L.A. Weekly Critics' Theatre Director of the Year for 2000, and was
asked by L.A. County to adapt his work with actors for teens at high risk
for HIV infection for an innovative California state funded program to
educate youth in better, more truth-centered communication skills. He is
a graduate of Northwestern University, and also of the William Esper
Studio, NYC, where he completed the formal, 2-year Meisner work, which is
the basis for his teaching.</b></div>