[NEohioPAL]Berko Review: OLIVER! (Palace); Greenbrier Scholarship Fundraiser

Roy Berko royberko at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 4 12:51:03 PDT 2004

‘OLIVER!’ A MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT AT THE PALACE;
CASSIDY THEATRE SCHOLARSHIP FUND RAISER

Roy Berko

(Member, American Theatre Critics Association)

--THE TIMES NEWSPAPERS--

Lorain County Times--Westlaker Times--Lakewood News
Times--Olmsted-Fairview Times

On my very first visit to London in 1960 I was told by
the booker, from whom I ordered theatre tickets, that
one of the shows I was supposed to see had been
canceled.  If it was all right, she stated she could
give me a free ticket to a musical based on a Charles
Dicken’s novel that was opening that night.

Yes, I saw the world premiere of ‘OLIVER!,’ based on
‘OLIVER TWIST’ with book, music and lyrics by Lionel
Bart.  The amazing cast included Ron Moody as Fagin
and Georgia Brown as Nancy.  Moody was a delightful
rogue and Brown’s “As Long As He Needs Me” was the
most emotionally engaging song I had ever heard.
After 18 curtain calls I left the theatre entranced.

I went to New York to see the show again after it
transferred across the Atlantic, this time to see
Clive Revill infuse the show with his wonderful
version of Faigan, Georgia Brown revive her role of
Nancy, and Davie Jones, who gained notoriety as a
member of The Monkees, delight as The Artful Dodger.

I was not alone in my love of the show.  A review of
the New York production stated, “Oliver! came singing,
bouncing and bubbling its way into the Imperial
theatre last night, and if ever there was a musical to
please everybody, that is it.  Overflowing with
singable tunes and a solid singing cast, it is a good
clean joy of a show.”  Another reviewer called it,
“One of the smasheroo hits of recent seasons.”

As good as the London, Broadway and many local
productions of the show, including a wonderful staging
by Elyria Summer Theatre some seasons back, is as bad
as the present staging of ‘OLIVER!’ at the Palace
Theatre.  To make the matter all the worse, this show
is part of the Broadway Series.  Believe me, Broadway
quality this isn’t!

The present production is miscast and misdirected.
The choreography is static and stale. The show is
paced too slowly.  The music is tinny sounding due to
the tiny size of the touring orchestra and the cadence
of the music is way too slow.  The sets don’t work
well.  It’s hard to find anything right about the
show.  To go on with details would be worthless.

Suffice ot to say my love affair with the show will
live on in spite of the bad taste in my eyes and ears
from this embarrassing production.  I’ll just pretend
that I never saw this production and, as I’m doing as
I write this review, just listen to the original
broadway cast recording.

CAPSULE JUDGEMENT:  Playhouse Square Foundation should
be ashamed of itself to be charging Broadway rates for
this amateur, misconceived production of ‘OLIVER!’.

CASSIDY THEATRE FUND RAISER

The Berea Summer Theatre may be gone, but it refuses
to die an easy death.  Several seasons ago BST
presented ‘THE BEST OF BROADWAY,’ a musical
extravaganza.

The show will come to life again on August 27, 28 and
29 at Cassidy Theatre as part of their scholarship
fund raising efforts.  The production will be staged
by Heide Boone, with the musical direction by Bob Day
and choreography by James M. Becker.  The 40 person
cast will include such local “stars” as Katie
DelVichio, Monica Olejko, Kevin Joseph Kelly, Cathy
Brenkus, John Nolan, Kim Mihalik, Geoff Short,
MichaePlayhouse Square Foundation should be ashamed to
be charging Broadway rates for this amateur, poorly
conceived production.l Snider, Trinidad Snider and
Bill Allman.  Tickets are $20.  For reservations call 440-842-4600.

=====
Roy Berko's web page can be found at royberko.info and many of his theatre and dance reviews appear on artscleveland.net.