[NEohioPAL]UPDATE ON MUSICIANS JAM AT THE ROSE

Richard Boothroyd rboothie at zoominternet.net
Wed Aug 4 08:22:18 PDT 2004

As a musician myself, I am always wondering what the composition of jam and
open mic needs to be to build the right audience and broaden the musical
community.

Well...I think I am getting a clue based upon the 8/3 event.

As many of you know...THE ROSE is all about building a community comprised
of musicians seeking the opportunity to expand their craft and listeners
wanting to either support their friends or  experience  the development of
entirely new sounds.

The way things are evolving has been quite natural.  Acoustic performers
have come on stage first and play either solo or accompanied by an electric
musician  and later in the evening, the purely electric musicians take to
the stage.

Last night, the format was blown apart when Jerry Miller, an amazing
electronic musician took the stage and performed a solo hip hop set that
left musicians and audience alike enthralled. When Jerry left the stage we
had a bit more acoustic music.  However,  the sound of Jerry's music brought
a bunch of local kids into the audience where they listened to folk, rock
and blues for nearly 2 hours at which point Jerry and some of the blues
players jammed until well after midnight. NOW THAT IS BUILDING A COMMUNITY!

As I thought, our audience and our slate of musicians grew by 100% over the
previous week and I expect the same growth until we gain participation of
60 or 70 folks which we should see in the next three weeks.

Some Tuesday you really need to check these events out. Remember though, no
jam on Tuesday August 24 when Leon Russell gets to town.

TONIGHT Wednesday August 4, send your kids over to THE ROSE at 7:30  for the
High School Rock Off "KING OF THE MOUNTAIN" to hear defending champ
Strongsville based "DRYWATER" take on Medina's own CICADA. Cost is $5.

THURSDAY is Comedy at THE ROSE with open Mic, Stand up comedy and improv all
in one night. Show starts at 8PM. Cost is $5.

Friday be a part of the live recording sessions of Cleveland's top Jam Band
SULTANS of BING starting at 9PM . $5

Saturday, a slightly more structured musicians jam beginning at 9pm . Bring
your friends and your instrument and join us. $3 minimum.

Richard

PS

Don't forget the Darol Anger American Fiddle Ensemble Show show on August
21.  If you have not heard Darol, check out Jim Blum' s show on WKSU this
weekend!