[NEohioPAL]Theater For Political Action

Kevin Cronin bodwin_theatre_company at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 25 20:54:51 PDT 2004

List: I'd like to ask list members to join other performers in an act of
theater for political action, by joining statewide theater for progressive
reform.  I am working with groups to organize performances, similar to the
worldwide readings of Lysistrata that preceded the war in Iraq. We would
raise money for "Bring Ohio Back" (BOB), the only 527 organization in Ohio
dedicated to enacting progressive reform in Ohio (BOB is the group that
brought in Martin Sheen, Susan Serandon and Juliana Margulies for a
Cleveland fundraiser). While the structure and date is still being
developed, I would like to hear from interested artists and performers and
provide some preliminary thoughts:

There were 13 (at least) Lysistrata productions in Ohio, including one in
all major cities and college towns.  the intent is to choose an arbitrary
date (early October) to have an event in every city (and others areas could
join as well).  Local artists, in any arts media (theater, singing, dance,
even painters could join and donate/sell their paintings), could
participate.

In lieu of gate, donations are solicited and given to BOB.  We would comply
with all record-keeping, obviously. As I understand them, 527s have few
restrictions (record all donations, no cash above $50, no corporate
donations, no netting of event expenses against event revenue, as well as
some others).  I will send along specific restrictions, so everyone is very
clean.

We are sounding out a variety of sites.

I think this would work -- the event would attract artists, and attendees,
with political goals, as well as those without political goals.  I'm sure
some people would simply be attracted to the idea of hearing members of the
orchestra Red, or seeing dancers or hearing a few Cleveland Orchestra
performers.  Others would be drawn to the political goals.  Both groups can
contribute to the cause. There is no target goal, but there is an awful lot
of talent and pent-up desire for reform on this list.

Thanks for your thoughts. All the best....

Kevin Cronin
Cleveland, Ohio
c: 216.374.7578
http://kevin_cronin_assoc.tripod.com