[NEohioPAL]Cool Cleveland Review: for colored girls who have considered

Performing Arts performingarts at karamu.com
Mon Sep 27 10:52:31 PDT 2004

------=_NextPart_000_0059_01C4A499.3BB0A380

Cool Cleveland Review: for colored girls who have considered
suicide/when the rainbow is enuf," Sure to be one of the highlights of =
the
season (OH)
 http://www.coolcleveland.com/index.php/Main/Current
> for colored girls who have considered suicide/when the rainbow is enuf =
@
Karamu House 9/17
> What: Full of dance, music, and blisteringly truthful poetry,
> Ntozake Shange's Obie-award winning 1972 work about a woman's soul is =
as
fresh and cutting-edge as ever in this amazing revival. Sure to be one =
of
the highlights of the season.
> Reasons to go: Shange's writing is, simply, awesome. And director =
Terrence
Spivey does her proud with a cast who can blow the roof off the house. A
powerful ensemble of eight women conjure a juju of remembrance, humor, =
rage,
and healing - sparkling like jewels in Kathryn Tobasko's =
African-inspired
costumes. Everybody has moments where she shines, but feisty Corene =
Woodford
as The Lady in Green nails the love payback time in "somebody almost =
walked
off wid alla my stuff" and "no assistance". Monte Escalante is sinuous =
and
lithe as a tiger as The Lady in Purple. And the incomparable Nina =
Domingue
turns a story about a domestic violence episode into a soul-shaking =
Greek
tragedy. The poetry rocks, the choreography sizzles, and the women are =
so
passionate and beautiful and alive that you could dig this show even if =
you
didn't understand a word. So why aren't you calling that reservation =
number
now? Backstory: Karamu's new Artistic Director Terrence Spivey made a =
name
for himself in NYC with this 2001 production by his off-off-Broadway =
company
Powerful Long Ladder, and remounted at Karamu with an all-Cleveland =
cast.
> Target audience: Dance-lovers, music-lovers, theatre-lovers,
poetry-lovers, love-lovers. Teens & up; Shange doesn't mince words about =
sex
in all of its colors.
> Details: Karamu, 2355 E. 89th St., Cleveland. 216-795-7070. Through =
10/17.
http://www.karamu.com. from Cool Cleveland contributor Linda Eisenstein
Linda at coolcleveland.com

------=_NextPart_000_0059_01C4A499.3BB0A380

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" =
size=3D3>Cool Cleveland=20
Review: for colored girls who have considered<BR>suicide/when the =
rainbow is=20
enuf," Sure to be one of the highlights of the<BR>season =
(OH)<BR> </FONT><A=20
href=3D"http://www.coolcleveland.com/index.php/Main/Current"><FONT=20
face=3D"Times New Roman"=20
size=3D3>http://www.coolcleveland.com/index.php/Main/Current</FONT></A><B=
R><FONT=20
face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D3>> for colored girls who have =
considered=20
suicide/when the rainbow is enuf @<BR>Karamu House 9/17<BR>> What: =
Full of=20
dance, music, and blisteringly truthful poetry,<BR>> Ntozake =
Shange=92s=20
Obie-award winning 1972 work about a woman=92s soul is as<BR>fresh and=20
cutting-edge as ever in this amazing revival. Sure to be one of<BR>the=20
highlights of the season.<BR>> Reasons to go: Shange=92s writing is, =
simply,=20
awesome. And director Terrence<BR>Spivey does her proud with a cast who =
can blow=20
the roof off the house. A<BR>powerful ensemble of eight women conjure a =
juju of=20
remembrance, humor, rage,<BR>and healing =96 sparkling like jewels in =
Kathryn=20
Tobasko=92s African-inspired<BR>costumes. Everybody has moments where =
she shines,=20
but feisty Corene Woodford<BR>as The Lady in Green nails the love =
payback time=20
in =93somebody almost walked<BR>off wid alla my stuff=94 and =93no =
assistance=94. Monte=20
Escalante is sinuous and<BR>lithe as a tiger as The Lady in Purple. And =
the=20
incomparable Nina Domingue<BR>turns a story about a domestic violence =
episode=20
into a soul-shaking Greek<BR>tragedy. The poetry rocks, the choreography =

sizzles, and the women are so<BR>passionate and beautiful and alive that =
you=20
could dig this show even if you<BR>didn=92t understand a word. So why =
aren=92t you=20
calling that reservation number<BR>now? Backstory: Karamu=92s new =
Artistic=20
Director Terrence Spivey made a name<BR>for himself in NYC with this =
2001=20
production by his off-off-Broadway company<BR>Powerful Long Ladder, and=20
remounted at Karamu with an all-Cleveland cast.<BR>> Target audience: =

Dance-lovers, music-lovers, theatre-lovers,<BR>poetry-lovers, =
love-lovers. Teens=20
& up; Shange doesn=92t mince words about sex<BR>in all of its =
colors.<BR>>=20
Details: Karamu, 2355 E. 89th St., Cleveland. 216-795-7070. Through=20
10/17.<BR></FONT><A href=3D"http://www.karamu.com"><FONT face=3D"Times =
New Roman"=20
size=3D3>http://www.karamu.com</FONT></A><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" =
size=3D3>.=20
from Cool Cleveland contributor Linda Eisenstein<BR></FONT><A=20
href=3D"mailto:Linda at coolcleveland.com"><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"=20
size=3D3>Linda at coolcleveland.com</FONT></A><BR></DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML=

------=_NextPart_000_0059_01C4A499.3BB0A380--