[NEohioPAL]Berko review: PHANTOM OF THE OPERA/Allen Theatre

Roy Berko royberko at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 9 10:35:48 PDT 2004

‘THE PHANTOM’ GETS DESERVED STANDING OVATION AT THE
ALLEN THEATRE

Roy Berko

(Member, American Theatre Critics Association)

--THE TIMES NEWSPAPERS--

Lorain County Times--Westlaker Times--Lakewood News
Times--Olmsted-Fairview Times

Saw ‘THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA’ before?  Afraid that
the touring production might be one of those slapped
together non-union actor productions?  Well, fear not.
 The rendition of the show which is appearing at the
Allen Theatre has a superb cast and  all the spectacle
of any edition of the show, including the Broadway
production.  Yes, the falling chandelier, Hannibal’s
elephant, the sumptuous costumes, the boat which
floats across the stage, they are all there.  And the
cast is outstanding!

“THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA” opened at Her Majesty’s
Theatre in 1986.
Since then, it has been seen in 110 cities in 20
countries by over 70 million people. Worldwide, the
box office revenues are higher than any film or stage
play in history, including “TITANIC”, “ET” and “STAR
WARS.”

On February 4 of this year, PHANTOM became the 2nd
longest-running show in Broadway history.  That
version has been running for 16 years.

In June of 1993 the show made its first appearance in
Cleveland.  Almost 200,000 people attended that run.

The musical, which has won over 50 major theatre
awards, including seven Tonys, is scheduled to be
released as a motion picture during this year’s
holiday season.
The movie trailer can be accessed at:
http://phantomthemovie.warnerbros.com.

As for the story line:  It is 1911 and the contents of
an Opera House are being auctioned off. Present are
the auctioneer and bidders.  As the auctioneer
displays the Opera House chandelier, he explains that
it is connected with the legend of The Phantom of the
Opera. With a flash of light, the audience is flung
back in time, when the Paris Opera was at its height.

We are in the middle of a rehearsal for the opera
‘HANNIBAL.’ The retiring manager of the Opera is
showing the new managers the great stage.  As the
prima donna is singing, a backdrop falls to the floor,
nearly killing her. The cry is raised, "It's The
Phantom of the Opera!"    And, the story of a young
singer, her lover, and the phantom who loves her, play
out before our eyes.  As the plot deepens we discover
the real story of the phantom and, in the end, the
Phantom gives Christine (the young singer)  a choice.
She can stay with him forever, or he will kill Raoul
(her lover).  That decision brings an end to the
story.

Don’t go to see the production thinking this is
musical comedy.   Comedy, it definitely is not.  It is
high drama.   High dark drama.  And, be warned, there
are scenes that are not visually appropriate for young
children...skeletons, murders, scary masks, hangings,
gun shots, light flashes, and strong illusions.  On
opening night, a child exited screaming.

The Allen production is suburb.  Gary Mauer, makes the
Phantom his own.  He does not do a Michael Crawford
(the original Phantom) imitation.  He makes the role
softer, more vulnerable, more human.  His voice is
marvelous.  His rendition of “The Music of the Night”
is what musical theatre is all about...superb,
enthralling.  His “All I Ask” is emotionally draining.

Rebecca Pitcher who portrays Christine, gives a
believable acting performance which graces her
marvelous voice.  She makes for a perfect Christine.
The duets between Mauer and Pitcher, which include
“The Phantom of the Opera,” “I Remember,” and “The
Point of No Return” were production highlights.

Tim Martin Gleason effectively sings the role of
Raoul, Christine’s lover.  He physically fits the role
of the handsome suitor.  But he sometimes seems on the
surface in his character development, not totally
immersed in the role.  “”All I Ask of You” his major
duet with Pitcher, was riveting.

CAPSULE JUDGEMENT:  The production of ‘THE PHANTOM OF
THE OPERA’ now playing at the Allen Theatre, is as
close to a perfect production of the Andrew Lloyd
Webber, Charles Hart, Richard Stilgoe musical as you
will ever see.  If you haven’t experienced the show
before see this production.  If you have seen it
before, go again. You won’t be disappointed.   As is
the habit of Cleveland audiences, the opening night
production received a standing ovation.  This is one
of the few shows that deserved it!

 ‘THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA’ runs through  November 7.
For tickets  call 216 241-6000 or 800-766-6048, go to
the tickets outlets at Tops Friendly Markets, or go on
one to www.playhousesquare.com.  Tickets range in
price from $22.50 to $66.50.

=====
Roy Berko's web page can be found at royberko.info.  His theatre and dance reviews appear on NeOHIOpal, a free on-line source, which can be subscribed to at neohiopal at lists.fredsternfeld.com.