[NEohioPAL]The story behind "Break a leg"?

david white djwhite at lycos.com
Sun Oct 10 14:51:36 PDT 2004

The association of this with John Wilkes Booth is most likely far too literal to have any basis in fact.  (Aside from the fact that it would involve joking about something related to Lincoln's assassination, which would have been considered atrociously bad form.)  This is most likely a simple example of an "apotropaic" formula, i.e. something designed to turn aside bad luck.  If is regarded as bad luck to wish someone well, it must conversely be good luck to wish someone ill.  Why that took the particular form of wishing an actor to break his leg is a mystery that most likely will never be solved.  (Although slipping and falling, and breaking a leg, is something that could actually happen to an actor during a performance, if there were water on the stage, etc.  My father swears to this day that he saw Jackie Gleason fall and break his leg on live TV in the 50s.)

German actors traditionally with each other "Hals- und Beinbruch" (lit., neck and leg break).

One wishes opera singers "In bocc' al lupo", into the wolf's mouth.  (The proper response is "Crepi", may it (the wolf) die.

David J. White
formerly of Kent Stage Players
Now of Waco, TX