[NEohioPAL]Ohio premiere of Sugar, day of Ohio films at OIFF

Christopher kaimei at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 29 09:09:40 PDT 2004

--------------50842731D36A583559DC10AF

Just a reminder to come see the Ohio premiere of Sugar, a digital
feature that follows the character of Hailie, a nine year old girl who
leaves her suburban home and spends a night in the city, in search of
her mother, who she believes to be kidnapped.  Set to a dark electronic
soundtrack, Sugar is thrilling, yet poignant story of a young girl
competing with an urban carnival of pleasures for the attention of her
mother.

Come see Sugar and a plethora of films made in our backyard on Thursday,
November 11th at the Ohio Independent Film Festival:  Cleveland Public
Theatre (6415 Detroit Ave.  Cleveland  44102).  Showtime for Sugar is
12:00 noon, but doors open for a shorts program as early at 9:00 AM!
Check out the Ohio Independent Film Festival's page for the day's events
at http://www.ohiofilms.com/2004festival/thursday.html .

Sugar has already received the award of excellence for digital features
at the Berkeley Video and Film Festival, California's largest film
festival outside of the Los Angeles area.  Sugar had also been invited
on the Freedom Film Festival tour across the United States, and to
screen at the Milano Film Festival in Milan, Italy.  Check out the
film's web site at
http://home.earthlink.net/~shallowfocus/sugar/sugar.html .

I had a small screening for members of the Taiwan Film and Culture
Commission, the only government funded organization whose primary
purpose is to support independent film.  Below are some of their
comments.

Regards,
Christopher K. Young
www.shallowfocus.com

          "Heartbreaking, but disturbingly funny"

          "Stylistically reminds me of a good, non-Hollywood Mike Figgis
film"

          "All at once sad and very exciting"

          "The best film in this budget range I've ever seen"

          "I normally don't like trance music, but this movie makes that
sound
          come alive with images in a very impressive way."

          "incredible story"

          "(the scene of revelation between the mother and the girl) is
very
          emotionally powerful."

          "Everything I love about movies like Run Lola Run, only
improved upon by
          the lack of static cinematography"

          "the little girl (Ashley Kaye) is absolutely amazing"

          "your actors are unusually good"

          and finally...

          "your performance is hilarious and frighteningly believable"
(Said of
          "Teddy," my two scene role as a pedophile stalking the main
character on
          a subway)

--------------50842731D36A583559DC10AF

Just a reminder to come see the Ohio premiere of <u>Sugar</u>, a digital
feature that follows the character of Hailie, a nine year old girl who
leaves her suburban home and spends a night in the city, in search of her
mother, who she believes to be kidnapped.  Set to a dark electronic
soundtrack, <u>Sugar</u> is thrilling, yet poignant story of a young girl
competing with an urban carnival of pleasures for the attention of her
mother.
November 11th at the Ohio Independent Film Festival:  Cleveland Public
Theatre (6415 Detroit Ave.  Cleveland  44102).  <a href="http://www.ohiofilms.com/2004festival/thursday.html">Showtime
as early at 9:00 AM!  Check out the Ohio Independent Film Festival's
page for the day's events at <A HREF="http://www.ohiofilms.com/2004festival/thursday.html">http://www.ohiofilms.com/2004festival/thursday.html</A>
.
features at the Berkeley Video and Film Festival, California's largest
film festival outside of the Los Angeles area.  <u>Sugar</u> had also
out the film's web site at <A HREF="http://home.earthlink.net/~shallowfocus/sugar/sugar.html">http://home.earthlink.net/~shallowfocus/sugar/sugar.html</A>
.
the only government funded organization whose primary purpose is to support
independent film.  Below are some of their comments.
but disturbingly funny"
reminds me of a good, non-Hollywood Mike Figgis film"
sad and very exciting"
in this budget range I've ever seen"
like trance music, but this movie makes that sound
images in a very impressive way."
revelation between the mother and the girl) is very
powerful."
love about movies like Run Lola Run, only improved upon by
static cinematography"
(Ashley Kaye) is absolutely amazing"
are unusually good"