[NEohioPAL]Did college kids vote?

Jpk1798 at aol.com Jpk1798 at aol.com
Sat Nov 6 07:06:45 PST 2004

-------------------------------1099753605

Why single out and blame college students as a group who didn't vote?

I saw Oberlin College students conduct a voter registration drive which saw
nearly 100% voter registration and nearly 100% voter turnout. Due to the
unprecedented participation, Oberlin voters waited in line for 3-5 hours to cast
their ballots but they waited and voted.

I saw 60  Columbia University arrive by bus from NYC to campaign 16  hours a
day in Lorain.  They were cheerful, bright, focused, energetic, and  effective.

My generation grew up in a time of civil rights, women's rights, and
anti-war activism yet most turned their backs on their commitment to peace with
justice once they started to draw a salary.  Who can blame college students  for
being cynical after such a role model?

Political leaders and those who lead campaigns should look at the examples
of Oberlin, Columbia, and other college students who worked tirelessly in the
Kerry campaign or other campaigns and realize that college students will
participate but we neeed to listen to them, involve them in meaningful roles,  and
learn from them about how to reach and involve their peers.

We can't pretend to have all the answers and expect college students to  fall
into line lockstep.

Jack Kilroy

-------------------------------1099753605

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1476" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
Arial"=20
e_document=20
face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D2>
<DIV>
<DIV>Why single out and blame college students as a group who didn't vote?</=

<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I saw Oberlin College students conduct a voter registration drive which=
 saw=20
nearly 100% voter registration and nearly 100% voter turnout. Due to the=20
unprecedented participation, Oberlin voters waited in line for 3-5 hours to=20=
cast=20
their ballots but they waited and voted.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I saw 60  Columbia University arrive by bus from NYC to campaign 1=
6=20
hours a day in Lorain.  They were cheerful, bright, focused, energetic,=
 and=20
effective.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>My generation grew up in a time of civil rights, women's rights, and=20
anti-war activism yet most turned their backs on their commitment to peace w=
ith=20
justice once they started to draw a salary.  Who can blame college stud=
ents=20
for being cynical after such a role model?</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Political leaders and those who lead campaigns should look at the examp=
les=20
of Oberlin, Columbia, and other college students who worked tirelessly in th=
e=20
Kerry campaign or other campaigns and realize that college students will=20
participate but we neeed to listen to them, involve them in meaningful roles=
,=20
and learn from them about how to reach and involve their peers.  </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>We can't pretend to have all the answers and expect college students to=
=20
fall into line lockstep.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Jack Kilroy</DIV></DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>