[NEohioPAL]Jewelry and Ornament Making Workshop

jeff jingram3 at neo.rr.com
Tue Nov 9 09:26:03 PST 2004

--MS_Mac_OE_3182847963_202003_MIME_Part

Greetings,

WHO:  Standing Rock Cultural Arts and Michelle Pajak

WHAT:  Jewelry and Ornament Making Workshop

WHEN:  December 5, 2005  2-5pm
-(more classes added if needed)

WHERE:  North Water Street Gallery, 257 N. Water St., Kent

AGES:  12 to Adult.  Younger Students accepted if accompanied by an adult.

MAXIMUM NUMBER OF STUDENTS:  10 plus any children accompanied by an adult.

SKILL LEVEL:  Beginners to Advanced

FEE:  $15.00

SIGN-UP:  330-673-4970 or email info at standingrock.net
-Please sign-up before November 30th.
-Checks payable to Standing Rock Cultural Arts, 257 N. Water St., Kent, OH
44240

MATERIALS:  Some basic materials and tools will be provided.  Students are
encouraged to bring their own beads, wire, pliers, and craft supplies.

GOAL:  To make a unique piece of art that can be used to ornament the body
or the house during the holiday season.

OBJECTIVE:  This class is designed to assist people in making their own
ornaments and/or jewelry for the holidays.  No experience is required.
Those with advanced skills can benefit from Michelle's extensive experience
in the field of Fashion and Jewelry Design.

-

Michelle Pajak Artist Statement

  My work is inspired by my obsession with haute couture fashion,
specifically haute couture=B9s excessive and dramatic qualities.  Couture is =
wearable art form that celebrates the one of a kind, in which garments are
made from the finest of materials with meticulous craftsmanship.  My curren=
body of wearable objects incorporates the same opulence and theatrical
qualities of couture through my selection of materials, scale, and placemen=
on the body.
  This obsession has stimulated my interest in fusing jewelry,
metalsmithing, and fashion/textile processes.  By blending these techniques=
,
I am able to create luxurious  wearable objects by exploring the
relationship between the juxtaposition of precious metals with fine
textiles, gemstones, and glass beads.  The combination of these materials
and techniques results in alluring surfaces that awaken the tactile
sensations of the wearer.  I purposely exaggerate the scale and or mass of
each piece in order to envelop the wearer as well as respond to the motion
of the body.
  Jewelry, fashion, and culture continuously influence one another, as well
as how we present ourselves in society.  These forces propel my work and
assist me in my creation of wearable objects that embody luxurious surfaces=
,
dramatic scale, fine materials, and meticulous craftsmanship.  My obsession
with the drama and excessiveness of couture is its celebration of dressing
up in the extremely unique.

Michelle Pajak

-
-
-
----------------

Artist Biography

=B3My interest in haute couture fashion has informed and directed my current
body of work.  Fusing both jewelry and fashion processes, I am able to
create luxurious objects by combining elements of precious metals with fine
fabrics and glass beads.=B2 Michelle Pajak was born in 1977 and raised in
northeastern Ohio.  She currently lives in Kent, Ohio where she maintains a
studio full time. She has exhibited her work in numerous exhibitions across
the country since receiving her BFA in Crafts/Metals from Kent State
University in 2001.  She is currently represented by Sculpture to Wear
Gallery, Santa Monica CA,  Houston Center for Contemporary Craft, Houston
TX, Gallery 138, Kent, OH and the Winds of Change Boutique, Chagrin Falls
OH.

-
-
-
----------------

RESUME

Michelle Pajak
614 West Main St   Kent Oh 44240           330 677 4092
mapstudios at netscape.net

Education
2001    Bachelor of Fine Arts (Magna cum Laude), Crafts/Metals, Kent State
University, Kent, OH
1998    Associate of Arts, Kent State University, Kent, OH

Exhibitions
2004 CRAFT COUTURE!-A Wearable Art Trunk Show, Houston Center for
Contemporary Craft,
Houston, TX
       Wearable Art: An Exhibition of Contemporary Jewelry and Fine Craft,
Gallery Mathes,
Terre Haute, IN=20
       PERSONAL ADORNMENT: examples from Africa and America,
   Eells Gallery/Blossom Music Center, Cuyahoga Falls, OH
Embower/Embellish (Jewelry and Sculpture by Jesse Mathes and Michelle Pajak=
)
Gallery M, Cleveland, OH

2003 A Gift of Art-Second Annual Small Works Competition, Gallery 138, Kent=
,
OH
       La Petite XI, Alder Gallery, Coburg, OR
       CraftHouston 2003: National, Houston Center for Contemporary Craft,
Houston, TX=20
       The Bracelet, Yaw Gallery, Birmingham, MI
       International Exposition of Sculptural Objects and Fine Art (SOFA)
NYC, represented by
Yaw Gallery, Birmingham, MI
       MATERIALS: HARD & SOFT, Greater Denton Arts Council, Center for the
Visual Arts,
Meadows Gallery, Denton, TX

2002   Holiday Jewelry Show, North Water Street Gallery, Kent, OH
         A Gift of Art-Small Works Competition, Gallery 138, Kent, OH
        Of the MATERIAL BODY, Sculpture to Wear, Santa Monica, CA
        Three Rivers Arts Festival: Juried Visual Arts Exhibition, PPG
Wintergarden, Pittsburgh, PA

2001 Clay and Metals/Jewelry Invitational, SMSU Student Exhibition Center,
Southwestern Missouri State University, Springfield, MO
         Plush (Solo BFA exhibition), Studio 425, Kent, OH
         Student Annual Exhibition (Juried), School of Art Gallery, Kent
State University, Kent, OH
         SNAG National Student Slide Show and Exhibition (Juried), Richmond=
,
VA

2000 Language of Hands: Work-Create-Achieve, a Student Metalsmith
Invitational,
         Visual Arts Center Gallery, Community College of Allegheny County,
Pittsburgh, PA
         2000 Juried Student Brooch Competition, Miami University of Ohio,
Oxford, OH
        The Gamut: Group Show of 21 Local Artists, Akron Public Library,
Akron, OH
        Student Annual Exhibition (Juried), School of Art Gallery, Kent
State University, Kent, OH
        SNAG National Student Slide Show (Juried), Boston, MA

Awards
2000 Blossom Art Scholarship, Kent State University, Kent, OH
       Undergraduate Art Scholarship, Kent State University, Kent, OH
1999 Undergraduate Art Scholarship, Kent State University, Kent, OH

mapstudios at netscape.net

Scheduled Bibliography/Press
Fall 2004 (tentative publishing date) Wedding Style Magazine, (cover image)

 Bibliography/Press
=B3Clever Accents: Fall Fashion 2004=B2, Los Angeles Magazine, September 2004
=B3Serious Metal: Gallery M=B2, Dan Transberg, Angle: A Journal of Arts and
Culture,=20
  Vol. 2 No. 14 June 2004
=B3Fashion=B2, Malibu Monthly Magazine, Vol. 2, Issue 12, April 2004
=B3Modern Bride=B2, (Cover Image), LA Brides Magazine, Spring/Summer 2004
Marshal Field=B9s Department Stores, Spring/Summer 2004 Television Advertisin=
Campaign
=B3Fashion Flash=B2, Brenda Sue Junkin, Cleveland Plain Dealer, Cleveland OH,
March 1, 2004
 =B3Petting Zoo=B2, Estylo Magazine, April/May 2004
=B3The Best of Cleveland=B2, Cleveland Magazine, Vol. 32, Number 12, October
2003
Art Jewelry Today, Dona Z. Meilach, Schiffer Publishing Ltd, 2003
=B3Festival Review: Photography excels in juried exhibitions=B2 Mary Thomas,
Pittsburgh Post Gazette,
Pittsburgh, PA, June 8, 2002

Artist Organizations
Present-2003   American Craft Council
Present-1998   Society of North American Goldsmiths (SNAG)
2001-1998         Kent State University Jewelry Metals Co-Op, 2000-01
Vice-President
2001-1999        Studio 425- Artists Co-Op Studio

Continuing Education:

2004 A Watercolor Workshop, Standing Rock Cultural Arts/North Water Street
Gallery, Kent, OH
        Visiting Artist/Instructor: Beth Ciborek
2002 Kinetic Body Art: Costume Design Workshop, Cleveland Institute of Art,
Cleveland, OH
        Faculty: Michael Guy-James
2000 Kent/Blossom Art-Metals, Kent State University, Kent, OH
        Resident Faculty: Kathleen Browne
        Visiting Faculty: Susan Kingsley, Dave and Roberta Williamson
1998    London/Paris Museum Tour Workshop, Kent State University, Kent, OH
         Resident Faculty: Fred Smith

Professional Experience:

Present-1999   Jewelry Artist, exhibition works, commissions (private
collections)
8/04-12/04 Visiting Artist, Ursuline College, Pepper Pike, OH
            Course: Couture Embellishments-history and techniques of
embellishment in fashion
           Adjunct Professor: Lorita Winfield
7/03- Visiting Artist/Instructor, Standing Rock Cultural Arts/North Water
Street Gallery, Kent, OH
        Workshop: Multiples: design, structure, form- exploring repetition
in wearable objects
5/03-5/01   Studio Assistant, Lori Leavitt Collection, Pepper Pike, OH
6/01-2/01   Studio Assistant, Donna D=B9aquino, Kent, OH

--MS_Mac_OE_3182847963_202003_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Jewelry and Ornament Making Workshop</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<B>Greetings,<BR>
<BR>
WHO:  Standing Rock Cultural Arts and Michelle Pajak<BR>
<BR>
WHAT:  Jewelry and Ornament Making Workshop <BR>
<BR>
WHEN:  December 5, 2005  2-5pm<BR>
-(more classes added if needed)<BR>
<BR>
WHERE:  North Water Street Gallery, 257 N. Water St., Kent<BR>
<BR>
AGES:  12 to Adult.  Younger Students accepted if accompanied by =
an adult.<BR>
<BR>
MAXIMUM NUMBER OF STUDENTS:  10 plus any children accompanied by an ad=
ult.<BR>
<BR>
SKILL LEVEL:  Beginners to Advanced<BR>
<BR>
FEE:  $15.00<BR>
<BR>
SIGN-UP:  330-673-4970 or email info at standingrock.net<BR>
-Please sign-up before November 30th.<BR>
-Checks payable to Standing Rock Cultural Arts, 257 N. Water St., Kent, OH =
 44240<BR>
<BR>
MATERIALS:  Some basic materials and tools will be provided.  Stu=
dents are encouraged to bring their own beads, wire, pliers, and craft suppl=
ies.<BR>
<BR>
GOAL:  To make a unique piece of art that can be used to ornament the =
body or the house during the holiday season.<BR>
<BR>
OBJECTIVE:  This class is designed to assist people in making their ow=
n ornaments and/or jewelry for the holidays.  No experience is required=
.  Those with advanced skills can benefit from Michelle's extensive exp=
erience in the field of Fashion and Jewelry Design.</B> <BR>
<BR>
---------------------------------------------------------<BR>
<BR>
<B><BR>
<FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman"><U>Michelle Pajak Artist Statement<BR>
</U><BR>
   My work is inspired by my obsession with haute couture fashion=
, specifically haute couture=B9s excessive and dramatic qualities.  Coutu=
re is a wearable art form that celebrates the one of a kind, in which garmen=
ts are made from the finest of materials with meticulous craftsmanship. &nbs=
p;My current body of wearable objects incorporates the same opulence and the=
atrical qualities of couture through my selection of materials, scale, and p=
lacement on the body.<BR>
   This obsession has stimulated my interest in fusing jewelry, m=
etalsmithing, and fashion/textile processes.  By blending these techniq=
ues, I am able to create luxurious  wearable objects by exploring the r=
elationship between the juxtaposition of precious metals with fine textiles,=
 gemstones, and glass beads.  The combination of these materials and te=
chniques results in alluring surfaces that awaken the tactile sensations of =
the wearer.  I purposely exaggerate the scale and or mass of each piece=
 in order to envelop the wearer as well as respond to the motion of the body=
.<BR>
   Jewelry, fashion, and culture continuously influence one anoth=
er, as well as how we present ourselves in society.  These forces prope=
l my work and assist me in my creation of wearable objects that embody luxur=
ious surfaces, dramatic scale, fine materials, and meticulous craftsmanship.=
  My obsession with the drama and excessiveness of couture is its celeb=
ration of dressing up in the extremely unique.<BR>
<BR>
Michelle Pajak<BR>
<BR>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------=
----------------------------------------------------------------------------=
-----------------<BR>
<BR>
<U>Artist Biography<BR>
</U><BR>
=B3My interest in haute couture fashion has informed and directed my current =
body of work.  Fusing both jewelry and fashion processes, I am able to =
create luxurious objects by combining elements of precious metals with fine =
fabrics and glass beads.=B2 Michelle Pajak was born in 1977 and raised in nort=
heastern Ohio.  She currently lives in Kent, Ohio where she maintains a=
 studio full time. She has exhibited her work in numerous exhibitions across=
 the country since receiving her BFA in Crafts/Metals from Kent State Univer=
sity in 2001.  She is currently represented by Sculpture to Wear Galler=
y, Santa Monica CA,  Houston Center for Contemporary Craft, Houston TX,=
 Gallery 138, Kent, OH and the Winds of Change Boutique, Chagrin Falls OH.<B=

<BR>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------=
----------------------------------------------------------------------------=
-----------------<BR>
</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Palatino"><BR>
<U>RESUME<BR>
</U></FONT><BR>
<FONT FACE=3D"Palatino">Michelle Pajak<BR>
614 West Main St   Kent Oh 44240      &n=
bsp;    330 677 4092      &nbsp=
; <FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><U>mapstudios at netscape.net<BR>
</U></FONT><BR>
Education<BR>
2001    Bachelor of Fine Arts (Magna cum Laude), Crafts/Meta=
ls, Kent State University, Kent, OH<BR>
1998    Associate of Arts, Kent State University, Kent, OH<B=

<BR>
Exhibitions<BR>
2004 <I>CRAFT COUTURE!-A Wearable Art Trunk Show</I>, Houston Center for Co=
ntemporary Craft, <BR>
Houston, TX<BR>
        <I>Wearable Art: An Exhibition o=
f Contemporary Jewelry and Fine Craft, </I>Gallery Mathes,<BR>
Terre Haute, IN <BR>
       <I> PERSONAL ADORNMENT: examples from =
Africa and America, </I> <BR>
    Eells Gallery/Blossom Music Center, Cuyahoga Falls, OH<B=

<I>Embower/Embellish (Jewelry and Sculpture by Jesse Mathes and Michelle Pa=
jak)<BR>
</I>Gallery M, Cleveland, OH<BR>
<BR>
2003 <I>A Gift of Art-Second Annual Small Works Competition</I>, Gallery 13=
8, Kent, OH<BR>
        <I>La Petite XI, </I>Alder Galle=
ry, Coburg, OR<BR>
       <I> CraftHouston 2003: National</I>, H=
ouston Center for Contemporary Craft, Houston, TX<I> <BR>
        The Bracelet</I>, Yaw Gallery, B=
irmingham, MI<I> <BR>
        International Exposition of Scul=
ptural Objects and Fine Art (SOFA) NYC, </I>represented by<BR>
Yaw Gallery, Birmingham, MI<BR>
        <I>MATERIALS: HARD & SOFT</I=
>, Greater Denton Arts Council, Center for the Visual Arts,<BR>
Meadows Gallery, Denton, TX<BR>
<BR>
2002   <I>Holiday Jewelry Show</I>, North Water Street Gallery, K=
ent, OH<BR>
          <I>A Gift of Art-Sma=
ll Works Competition</I>, Gallery 138, Kent, OH<BR>
         <I>Of the MATERIAL BODY, <=
/I>Sculpture to Wear, Santa Monica, CA<I> <BR>
         Three Rivers Arts Festival=
: Juried Visual Arts Exhibition, </I>PPG Wintergarden,<I> </I>Pittsburgh, PA=
 <BR>
<BR>
2001 <I>Clay and Metals/Jewelry Invitational</I>, SMSU Student Exhibition C=
enter,            &nb=
sp;     Southwestern Missouri State University, Spr=
ingfield, MO<BR>
<I>         Plush </I>(Solo BFA exh=
ibition), Studio 425, Kent, OH <BR>
<I>         Student Annual Exhibiti=
on</I> (Juried), School of Art Gallery, Kent State University, Kent, OH <BR>
<I>         SNAG National Student S=
lide Show and Exhibition</I> (Juried), Richmond, VA<BR>
<BR>
2000<I> Language of Hands: Work-Create-Achieve, a Student Metalsmith Invita=
tional</I>,<BR>
          Visual Arts Center G=
allery, Community College of Allegheny County, Pittsburgh, PA<BR>
<I>         2000 Juried Student Bro=
och Competition</I>, Miami University of Ohio, Oxford, OH<BR>
<I>        The Gamut: Group Show of 21 L=
ocal Artists</I>, Akron Public Library, Akron, OH<BR>
<I>        Student Annual Exhibition</I>=
 (Juried), School of Art Gallery, Kent State University, Kent, OH<BR>
<I>        SNAG National Student Slide S=
how</I> (Juried), Boston, MA<BR>
<BR>
Awards<BR>
2000 Blossom Art Scholarship, Kent State University, Kent, OH<BR>
        Undergraduate Art Scholarship, K=
ent State University, Kent, OH<BR>
1999 Undergraduate Art Scholarship, Kent State University, Kent, OH<BR>
<BR>
Michelle Pajak<BR>
614 West Main St   Kent Oh 44240      &n=
bsp;    330 677 4092      &nbsp=
; <FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><U>mapstudios at netscape.net<BR>
</U></FONT><BR>
Scheduled Bibliography/Press<BR>
Fall 2004 (tentative publishing date) Wedding Style Magazine, <I>(cover ima=
ge)<BR>
<BR>
</I> Bibliography/Press<BR>
<I>=B3Clever Accents: Fall Fashion 2004=B2, </I>Los Angeles Magazine, September=
 2004<BR>
=B3<I>Serious Metal: Gallery M=B2, </I>Dan Transberg, Angle: A Journal of Arts =
and Culture, <BR>
   Vol. 2 No. 14 June 2004<BR>
<I>=B3Fashion=B2</I>, Malibu Monthly Magazine, Vol. 2, Issue 12, April 2004<BR>
<I>=B3Modern Bride=B2, (Cover Image)</I>, LA Brides Magazine, Spring/Summer 200=
4<BR>
Marshal Field=B9s Department Stores, Spring/Summer 2004 Television Advertisin=
g Campaign<BR>
<I>=B3Fashion Flash=B2</I>, Brenda Sue Junkin, Cleveland Plain Dealer, Clevelan=
d OH, March 1, 2004<BR>
<I> =B3Petting Zoo=B2,</I> Estylo Magazine, April/May 2004<BR>
<I>=B3The Best of Cleveland=B2</I>, Cleveland Magazine, Vol. 32, Number 12, Oct=
ober 2003<BR>
<U>Art Jewelry Today</U>, Dona Z. Meilach, Schiffer Publishing Ltd, 2003<BR=

<I>=B3Festival Review: Photography excels in juried exhibitions</I>=B2 Mary Tho=
mas, Pittsburgh Post Gazette,<BR>
Pittsburgh, PA, June 8, 2002<BR>
<BR>
Artist Organizations<BR>
Present-2003   American Craft Council<BR>
Present-1998   Society of North American Goldsmiths (SNAG)  =
            &nbs=
p;<BR>
2001-1998         Kent State Univer=
sity Jewelry Metals Co-Op, 2000-01 Vice-President<BR>
2001-1999        Studio 425- Artists Co-=
Op Studio<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Continuing Education:<BR>
<BR>
2004 A Watercolor Workshop, Standing Rock Cultural Arts/North Water Street =
Gallery, Kent, OH<BR>
         Visiting Artist/Instructor=
: Beth Ciborek<BR>
2002 Kinetic Body Art: Costume Design Workshop, Cleveland Institute of Art,=
 Cleveland, OH<BR>
         Faculty: Michael Guy-James=
<BR>
2000</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Arial"> </FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Palatino">Kent/Blossom Ar=
t-Metals, Kent State University, Kent, OH<BR>
         Resident Faculty: Kathleen=
 Browne<BR>
         Visiting Faculty: Susan Ki=
ngsley, Dave and Roberta Williamson<BR>
1998</FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Arial"> </FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Palatino">   Lo=
ndon/Paris Museum Tour Workshop, Kent State University, Kent, OH <BR>
          Resident Faculty: Fr=
ed Smith<BR>
<BR>
Professional Experience:<BR>
<BR>
Present-1999   Jewelry Artist, exhibition works, commissions (pri=
vate collections)<BR>
8/04-12/04 Visiting Artist, Ursuline College, Pepper Pike, OH<BR>
             Co=
urse: <I>Couture Embellishments</I>-history and techniques of embellishment =
in fashion<BR>
            Adjunct =
Professor: Lorita Winfield<BR>
7/03- Visiting Artist/Instructor, Standing Rock Cultural Arts/North Water S=
treet Gallery, Kent, OH<BR>
         Workshop: <I>Multiples: de=
sign, structure, form</I>- exploring repetition in wearable objects<BR>
5/03-5/01   Studio Assistant, Lori Leavitt Collection, Pepper Pik=
e, OH<BR>
6/01-2/01   Studio Assistant, Donna D=B9aquino, Kent, OH<BR>
</FONT></B>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3182847963_202003_MIME_Part--