[NEohioPAL]Bill Rudman's Irving Berlin Musical Journey next weekend!

JPercher at aol.com JPercher at aol.com
Fri Dec 3 10:44:38 PST 2004

--part1_86.1c9d0545.2ee20e16_boundary

The Jewish Community Center of Cleveland  NEWS
26001 South Woodland Road
Beachwood, Ohio  44122

For Immediate Release                    Contact: Jackie Percher
December 3, 2004                                    (216) 641-1588
                                                   e-mail: jpercher at aol.com

The Jewish Community Center of Cleveland presents
Irving Berlin: The Proud Father of 20th Century Song
Musical Journey Features Radio Personality Bill Rudman
and Jazz Pianist Joe Hunter
One Performance Only, December 12, 2004
at Cuyahoga Community College Eastern Campus Performing Arts Center

The Jewish Community Center (JCC) of Cleveland in association with Cuyahoga
Community College Eastern Campus Theatre Arts presents a songfest celebrating
the marvelous words and music of an American master, Irving Berlin: The Proud
Father of 20th Century Song, for one performance only, December 12 at 2:00 p.m.
at Cuyahoga Community College Eastern Campus Performing Arts Center.

Irving Berlin: The Proud Father of 20th Century Song was conceived and
written by radio personality Bill Rudman. Rudman and jazz pianist Joe Hunter co-host
the show, which features vocalists Erin Kufel and Vince Mastro, with Bryan
Thomas on bass and Ray Porrello on drums.

The concert tells the rags-to-riches story of Berlin (1888-1989), a Jewish
immigrant who fled Czarist Russia and arrived on Ellis Island with his family at
the age of five, quickly learning not only the English language but how to
make a living as a singing waiter on New York's Lower East Side.

Berlin, who taught himself to play the piano and create his own words and
music, broke through on Tin Pan Alley in 1911 with his worldwide sensation,
"Alexander's Ragtime Band," and from then on there was no stopping him.
Over the next 60 years the composer-lyricist wrote more than 1,500 songs for
Broadway, Hollywood and Tin Pan Alley including "White Christmas," "Blue
Skies," "Let's Face the Music and Dance," "How Deep Is the Ocean?," "Cheek to
Cheek"  and of course "God Bless America" - all of which, along with 20 other
songs, are performed in the concert.

His words and music were introduced by such legendary American performers as
Fred Astaire, Bing Crosby, Judy Garland, Al Jolson, Ethel Merman, Ginger
Rogers, Rosemary Clooney and Ethel Waters.

Berlin's work has become a permanent part of popular culture.  As his
colleague Jerome Kern once observed, "Irving Berlin has no place in American music;
he is American music." And to bring Berlin to life for a contemporary audience,
Rudman has included dozens of still images in the show, along with rare audio
and video clips of the songwriter in action. "Berlin and his extraordinary
legacy of song," says Rudman, "embody all that we treasure in the American
dream."

Ticket prices for Irving Berlin: The Proud Father of 20th Century Song are
$15 for general public; $12 for JCC members; $13 for seniors and $14 for groups
of 10 or more.

To charge tickets by phone call the JCC Box Office at (216) 382-4000 ext.
274.  To purchase a group of 10 or more tickets call (216) 593-6258.  Tickets can
also be purchased, in person, at the JCC Box Office located at 3505 Mayfield
Road, Cleveland Heights, OH  44118.  On the day of the performance only,
tickets may be purchased one hour prior to the performance at the box office of the
Tri-C Eastern Campus Performing Arts Center, 4250 Richmond Road, Highland
Hills, OH  44122.

Irving Berlin: The Proud Father of American Song, was originally produced by
Tri-C JazzFest Cleveland as part of The Song Is You, Rudman and Hunter's
ongoing series exploring the Great American Songbook. Songwriters featured this
season are Jerome Kern, Hoagy Carmichael, George and Ira Gershwin, Harold Arlen
and Duke Ellington.

BILL RUDMAN is an award-winning broadcaster and the executive director of
Musical Theater Education Programming, a nonprofit organization whose mission is
to bring the art of the American musical and the Great American Songbook to
the widest possible audience. Rudman hosts the syndicated radio program
"Footlight Parade," broadcast for 21 years on WCLV 104.9 FM, and for six years on more
than 75 stations coast-to-coast.

As a record producer, Rudman has supervised jazz albums focusing on American
popular song and featuring such vocalists as Peggy Lee and Maxine Sullivan.
He and jazz artist Ernie Krivda have created special concerts for Tri-C
JazzFest  celebrating scores by Kurt Weill and Langston Hughes ("Street Scene"),
George and Ira Gershwin ("Girl Crazy") and Leonard Bernstein, Betty Comden and
Adolph Green ("On the Town").

Rudman, the former associate director of Great Lakes Theater Festival, is the
recipient of eight Northern Ohio Live Awards of Achievement in popular music,
theater and arts education. In 2000 he received the first Robert P. Bergman
Award for his work in arts education and outreach in the Cleveland area.

JOE HUNTER, who has been playing piano professionally since 1979, has served
on the faculty of the Tri-C Jazz Studies Program for several years and is a
popular performer throughout Greater Cleveland. He attended Cleveland State
University, where an exchange program in Rio De Janeiro fueled his fascination
with Brazilian rhythms. He returned to Brazil in 1981 to study at the
Universidade Gamma Filho.
>From 1987 to 1996, Hunter served on the Conservatory of Music faculty at
Capitol University in Columbus. He has performed with many national artists
including Conti Condoli, Tito Puente and Scott Hamilton, and is a favorite at many
Tri-C JazzFest events.

VINCE MASTRO has developed a loyal following in Cleveland over many years.
After receiving a Decca Records contract in New York City, he enrolled at the
Juilliard School of Music and studied jazz and vocals, returning later to
Cleveland and recording an album with his quartet. Recently he collaborated with Joe
Howard on the CD, "As Time Goes By," and he is currently the featured
vocalist with Harry Hershey.

At 21, ERIN KUFEL is already one of the most sought-after jazz vocalists in
northern Ohio, performing regularly with Ernie Krivda's two groups: the Fat
Tuesday Big Band and Swing City. She has been singing all her life and received
outstanding soloist awards at the Western Michigan, Tiffin, Purdue and Lakeland
jazz festivals.

Joe Hunter's instrumental trio for the Irving Berlin concert includes drummer
RAY PORRELLO, a veteran of the Count Basie Orchestra and a featured member of
Sammy Davis Jr.'s rhythm section, and bass player BRYAN THOMAS, who has
toured with the Glenn Miller Orchestra and performed on the Norwegian Cruise Lines.

This is the second offering of the JCC's newly launched 2004-05 Arts &
Culture Season which redefines the JCC's commitment to support, produce and present
the arts to the widest possible audiences in Northeast Ohio. This season has
been made possible by a grant from the Green Arts Fund of the Jewish Community
Federation of Cleveland and is dedicated to Roe Green.

The JCC is also a proud recipient of a Cuyahoga County Economic Development
Grant for its Arts & Culture program.  This funding is provided in part by the
generous support of the Cuyahoga County Board of Commissioners:
Jimmy Dimora, Peter Lawson Jones and Tim McCormack.

Upcoming performances of the JCC's 2004-05 Arts & Culture Season include Yuri
Lane, human beatbox phenomenon, starring in From Tel Aviv to Ramallah: A
Beatbox Journey (March 5, 2005); the JCC's fifth-annual An Evening of Classical
Music (May 8, 2005); and the world premiere of Albi Gorn's play, To Know Him
(May 5-22, 2005).

The JCC gratefully acknowledges the support of the Holiday Inn - Beachwood.

About the JCC

The Jewish Community Center of Cleveland builds and strengthens Cleveland's
entire Jewish Community by providing exceptional programs and services that
enhance Jewish continuity and Jewish identity in four key program areas: Health,
Wellness and Recreation, Early Childhood Education, Camping and Cultural Arts.
 Membership to the JCC is open to all.  The JCC is a non-profit social
service agency that receives funding from the Jewish Community Federation and the
United Way.

--part1_86.1c9d0545.2ee20e16_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><HTML><P ALIGN=3DCENTER><FONT  SIZE=3D2 P=
TSIZE=3D10 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"><B>The Jewish Comm=
unity Center of Cleveland  NEWS<BR>
26001 South Woodland Road<BR>
Beachwood, Ohio  44122</B><BR>
<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000" BACK=3D"#ffffff" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR:=20=
#ffffff" SIZE=3D3 PTSIZE=3D12 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"=
><B>For Immediate Release</FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000" BACK=3D"#ffffff" st=
yle=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D2 PTSIZE=3D10 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF"=20=
FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"></B>                &nbsp=
;   Contact: Jackie Percher<BR>
December 3, 2004                       &n=
bsp;            (216) 641-1588<BR>
                                     &nbs=
p;             e-mail: jpe=
rcher at aol.com<BR>
<BR>
<P ALIGN=3DCENTER><B>The Jewish Community Center of Cleveland presents <BR>
<I>Irving Berlin: The Proud Father of 20th Century Song</I><BR>
Musical Journey Features Radio Personality Bill Rudman<BR>
and Jazz Pianist Joe Hunter <BR>
One Performance Only, December 12, 2004<BR>
at Cuyahoga Community College Eastern Campus Performing Arts Center<BR>
<P ALIGN=3DLEFT></B><BR>
The Jewish Community Center (JCC) of Cleveland in association with Cuyahoga=20=
Community College Eastern Campus Theatre Arts presents a songfest celebratin=
g the marvelous words and music of an American master, <B><I>Irving Berlin:=20=
The Proud Father of 20th Century Song</B></I>, for one performance only, Dec=
ember 12 at 2:00 p.m. at Cuyahoga Community College Eastern Campus Performin=
g Arts Center.  <BR>
<BR>
<B><I>Irving Berlin: The Proud Father of 20th Century Song</B></I> was conce=
ived and written by radio personality <B>Bill Rudman</B>. Rudman and jazz pi=
anist <B>Joe Hunter</B> co-host the show, which features vocalists <B>Erin K=
ufel </B>and <B>Vince Mastro</B>, with <B>Bryan Thomas </B>on bass and <B>Ra=
y Porrello</B> on drums.<BR>
<BR>
The concert tells the rags-to-riches story of Berlin (1888-1989), a Jewish i=
mmigrant who fled Czarist Russia and arrived on Ellis Island with his family=
 at the age of five, quickly learning not only the English language but how=20=
to make a living as a singing waiter on New York's Lower East Side.<BR>
<BR>
Berlin, who taught himself to play the piano and create his own words and mu=
sic, broke through on Tin Pan Alley in 1911 with his worldwide sensation, "A=
lexander's Ragtime Band," and from then on there was no stopping him. <BR>
Over the next 60 years the composer-lyricist wrote more than 1,500 songs for=
 Broadway, Hollywood and Tin Pan Alley including "White Christmas," "Blue Sk=
ies," "Let's Face the Music and Dance," "How Deep Is the Ocean?," "Cheek to=20=
Cheek"  and of course "God Bless America" - all of which, along with 20=
 other songs, are performed in the concert. <BR>
<BR>
His words and music were introduced by such legendary American performers as=
 Fred Astaire, Bing Crosby, Judy Garland, Al Jolson, Ethel Merman, Ginger Ro=
gers, Rosemary Clooney and Ethel Waters. <BR>
<BR>
Berlin's work has become a permanent part of popular culture.  As his c=
olleague Jerome Kern once observed, "Irving Berlin has no place in American=20=
music; he is American music." And to bring Berlin to life for a contemporary=
 audience, Rudman has included dozens of still images in the show, along wit=
h rare audio and video clips of the songwriter in action. "Berlin and his ex=
traordinary legacy of song," says Rudman, "embody all that we treasure in th=
e American dream."<BR>
<BR>
<B>Ticket prices for Irving Berlin: The Proud Father of 20th Century Song ar=
e $15 for general public; $12 for JCC members; $13 for seniors and $14 for g=
roups of 10 or more.</B><BR>
<BR>
<B>To charge tickets by phone call the JCC Box Office at (216) 382-4000 ext.=
 274. </B> To purchase a <B>group of 10 or more tickets call</B> <B>(21=
6) 593-6258.</B>  Tickets can also be purchased, in person, at the JCC=20=
Box Office located at 3505 Mayfield Road, Cleveland Heights, OH  44118.=
  On the day of the performance only, tickets may be purchased one hour=
 prior to the performance at the box office of the Tri-C Eastern Campus Perf=
orming Arts Center, 4250 Richmond Road, Highland Hills, OH  44122.<BR>
<BR>
<B><I>Irving Berlin: The Proud Father of American Song</B></I>, was original=
ly produced by Tri-C JazzFest Cleveland as part of The Song Is You, Rudman a=
nd Hunter's ongoing series exploring the Great American Songbook. Songwriter=
s featured this season are Jerome Kern, Hoagy Carmichael, George and Ira Ger=
shwin, Harold Arlen and Duke Ellington. <BR>
<BR>
<B>BILL RUDMAN </B>is an award-winning broadcaster and the executive directo=
r of Musical Theater Education Programming, a nonprofit organization whose m=
ission is to bring the art of the American musical and the Great American So=
ngbook to the widest possible audience. Rudman hosts the syndicated radio pr=
ogram "Footlight Parade," broadcast for 21 years on WCLV 104.9 FM, and for s=
ix years on more than 75 stations coast-to-coast.<BR>
<BR>
As a record producer, Rudman has supervised jazz albums focusing on American=
 popular song and featuring such vocalists as Peggy Lee and Maxine Sullivan.=
  He and jazz artist Ernie Krivda have created special concerts for Tri=
-C JazzFest  celebrating scores by Kurt Weill and Langston Hughes ("Str=
eet Scene"), George and Ira Gershwin ("Girl Crazy") and Leonard Bernstein, B=
etty Comden and Adolph Green ("On the Town"). <BR>
<BR>
Rudman, the former associate director of Great Lakes Theater Festival, is th=
e recipient of eight Northern Ohio Live Awards of Achievement in popular mus=
ic, theater and arts education. In 2000 he received the first Robert P. Berg=
man Award for his work in arts education and outreach in the Cleveland area.=
 <BR>
<BR>
<B>JOE HUNTER,</B> who has been playing piano professionally since 1979, has=
 served on the faculty of the Tri-C Jazz Studies Program for several years a=
nd is a popular performer throughout Greater Cleveland. He attended Clevelan=
d State University, where an exchange program in Rio De Janeiro fueled his f=
ascination with Brazilian rhythms. He returned to Brazil in 1981 to study at=
 the Universidade Gamma Filho. <BR>
>From 1987 to 1996, Hunter served on the Conservatory of Music faculty at Cap=
itol University in Columbus. He has performed with many national artists inc=
luding Conti Condoli, Tito Puente and Scott Hamilton, and is a favorite at m=
any Tri-C JazzFest events. <BR>
<BR>
<B>VINCE MASTRO </B>has developed a loyal following in Cleveland over many y=
ears. After receiving a Decca Records contract in New York City, he enrolled=
 at the Juilliard School of Music and studied jazz and vocals, returning lat=
er to Cleveland and recording an album with his quartet. Recently he collabo=
rated with Joe Howard on the CD, "As Time Goes By," and he is currently the=20=
featured vocalist with Harry Hershey. <BR>
<BR>
At 21, <B>ERIN KUFEL</B> is already one of the most sought-after jazz vocali=
sts in northern Ohio, performing regularly with Ernie Krivda's two groups: t=
he Fat Tuesday Big Band and Swing City. She has been singing all her life an=
d received outstanding soloist awards at the Western Michigan, Tiffin, Purdu=
e and Lakeland jazz festivals. <BR>
<BR>
Joe Hunter's instrumental trio for the Irving Berlin concert includes drumme=
r <B>RAY PORRELLO,</B> a veteran of the Count Basie Orchestra and a featured=
 member of Sammy Davis Jr.'s rhythm section, and bass player <B>BRYAN THOMAS=
</B>, who has toured with the Glenn Miller Orchestra and performed on the No=
rwegian Cruise Lines. <BR>
<BR>
This is the second offering of the JCC's newly launched 2004-05 Arts & C=
ulture Season which redefines the JCC's commitment to support, produce and p=
resent the arts to the widest possible audiences in Northeast Ohio. <B>This=20=
season has been made possible by a grant from the Green Arts Fund of the Jew=
ish Community Federation of Cleveland and is dedicated to Roe Green.</B><BR>
<BR>
The JCC is also a proud recipient of a <B>Cuyahoga County Economic Developme=
nt Grant for its Arts & Culture program.  This funding is provided=20=
in part by the generous support of the Cuyahoga County Board of Commissioner=
s:<BR>
Jimmy Dimora, Peter Lawson Jones and Tim McCormack.</B>  <BR>
<BR>
Upcoming performances of the JCC's 2004-05 Arts & Culture Season include=
 Yuri Lane, human beatbox phenomenon, starring in From Tel Aviv to Ramallah:=
 A Beatbox Journey (March 5, 2005); the JCC's fifth-annual An Evening of Cla=
ssical Music (May 8, 2005); and the world premiere of Albi Gorn's play, To K=
now Him (May 5-22, 2005).<BR>
<BR>
The JCC gratefully acknowledges the support of the <B>Holiday Inn - Beachwoo=
d</B>.<BR>
<BR>
<B><U>About the JCC</B></U><BR>
<BR>
The Jewish Community Center of Cleveland builds and strengthens Cleveland's=20=
entire Jewish Community by providing exceptional programs and services that=20=
enhance Jewish continuity and Jewish identity in four key program areas: Hea=
lth, Wellness and Recreation, Early Childhood Education, Camping and Cultura=
l Arts.  Membership to the JCC is open to all.  The JCC is a non-p=
rofit social service agency that receives funding from the Jewish Community=20=
Federation and the United Way.<BR>
<BR>
</P></P></P></P></FONT></HTML>
--part1_86.1c9d0545.2ee20e16_boundary--