[NEohioPAL]Jazz Pianist Joe Hunter plays Irving Berlin this Sunday at 2 p.m.

JPercher at aol.com JPercher at aol.com
Wed Dec 8 09:22:55 PST 2004

--part1_140.394b0355.2ee8926f_boundary

The Jewish Community Center of Cleveland presents=20
Irving Berlin: The Proud Father of 20th Century Song
Musical Journey Features Radio Personality Bill Rudman
and Jazz Pianist Joe Hunter=20
One Performance Only, this Sunday, December 12, at 2 p.m.
at Cuyahoga Community College Eastern Campus Performing Arts Center

Ticket prices: $15 for general public; $12 for JCC members; $13 for seniors=20
and $14 for groups of 10 or more.

To charge tickets by phone call the JCC Box Office at (216) 382-4000 ext.=20
274.=A0 To purchase a group of 10 or more tickets call (216) 593-6258.=A0 Ti=
ckets can=20
also be purchased, in person, at the JCC Box Office located at 3505 Mayfield=
=20
Road, Cleveland Heights, OH=A0 44118.=A0 On the day of the performance only,=
=20
tickets may be purchased one hour prior to the performance at the box office=
 of the=20
Tri-C Eastern Campus Performing Arts Center, 4250 Richmond Road, Highland=20
Hills, OH=A0 44122.

Presented by the Jewish Community Center of Cleveland in association with=20
Cuyahoga Community College Eastern Campus Theatre Arts =20

About the Concert
Irving Berlin: The Proud Father of 20th Century Song was conceived and=20
written by radio personality Bill Rudman. Rudman and jazz pianist Joe Hunter=
 co-host=20
the show, which features vocalists Erin Kufel and Vince Mastro, with Bryan=20
Thomas on bass and Ray Porrello on drums.

The concert tells the rags-to-riches story of Berlin (1888-1989), a Jewish=20
immigrant who fled Czarist Russia and arrived on Ellis Island with his famil=
y at=20
the age of five, quickly learning not only the English language but how to=20
make a living as a singing waiter on New York's Lower East Side.

Berlin, who taught himself to play the piano and create his own words and=20
music, broke through on Tin Pan Alley in 1911 with his worldwide sensation,=20
"Alexander's Ragtime Band," and from then on there was no stopping him.=20
Over the next 60 years the composer-lyricist wrote more than 1,500 songs for=
=20
Broadway, Hollywood and Tin Pan Alley including "White Christmas," "Blue=20
Skies," "Let's Face the Music and Dance," "How Deep Is the Ocean?," "Cheek t=
o=20
Cheek"=A0 and of course "God Bless America" - all of which, along with 20 ot=
her=20
songs, are performed in the concert.=20

His words and music were introduced by such legendary American performers as=
=20
Fred Astaire, Bing Crosby, Judy Garland, Al Jolson, Ethel Merman, Ginger=20
Rogers, Rosemary Clooney and Ethel Waters.=20

Berlin's work has become a permanent part of popular culture.=A0 As his=20
colleague Jerome Kern once observed, "Irving Berlin has no place in American=
 music;=20
he is American music." And to bring Berlin to life for a contemporary audien=
ce,=20
Rudman has included dozens of still images in the show, along with rare audi=
o=20
and video clips of the songwriter in action. "Berlin and his extraordinary=20
legacy of song," says Rudman, "embody all that we treasure in the American=20
dream."

Irving Berlin: The Proud Father of 20th Century Song, was originally produce=
d=20
by Tri-C JazzFest Cleveland as part of The Song Is You, Rudman and Hunter's=20
ongoing series exploring the Great American Songbook. Songwriters featured t=
his=20
season are Jerome Kern, Hoagy Carmichael, George and Ira Gershwin, Harold=20
Arlen and Duke Ellington.=20

BILL RUDMAN is an award-winning broadcaster and the executive director of=20
Musical Theater Education Programming, a nonprofit organization whose missio=
n is=20
to bring the art of the American musical and the Great American Songbook to=20
the widest possible audience. Rudman hosts the syndicated radio program=20
"Footlight Parade," broadcast for 21 years on WCLV 104.9 FM, and for six yea=
rs on more=20
than 75 stations coast-to-coast.

As a record producer, Rudman has supervised jazz albums focusing on American=
=20
popular song and featuring such vocalists as Peggy Lee and Maxine Sullivan.=
=A0=20
He and jazz artist Ernie Krivda have created special concerts for Tri-C=20
JazzFest=A0 celebrating scores by Kurt Weill and Langston Hughes ("Street Sc=
ene"),=20
George and Ira Gershwin ("Girl Crazy") and Leonard Bernstein, Betty Comden a=
nd=20
Adolph Green ("On the Town").=20

Rudman, the former associate director of Great Lakes Theater Festival, is th=
e=20
recipient of eight Northern Ohio Live Awards of Achievement in popular music=
,=20
theater and arts education. In 2000 he received the first Robert P. Bergman=20
Award for his work in arts education and outreach in the Cleveland area.=20

JOE HUNTER, who has been playing piano professionally since 1979, has served=
=20
on the faculty of the Tri-C Jazz Studies Program for several years and is a=20
popular performer throughout Greater Cleveland. He attended Cleveland State=20
University, where an exchange program in Rio De Janeiro fueled his fascinati=
on=20
with Brazilian rhythms. He returned to Brazil in 1981 to study at the=20
Universidade Gamma Filho.=20
>From 1987 to 1996, Hunter served on the Conservatory of Music faculty at=20
Capitol University in Columbus. He has performed with many national artists=20
including Conti Condoli, Tito Puente and Scott Hamilton, and is a favorite a=
t many=20
Tri-C JazzFest events.=20

VINCE MASTRO has developed a loyal following in Cleveland over many years.=20
After receiving a Decca Records contract in New York City, he enrolled at th=
e=20
Juilliard School of Music and studied jazz and vocals, returning later to=20
Cleveland and recording an album with his quartet. Recently he collaborated=20=
with Joe=20
Howard on the CD, "As Time Goes By," and he is currently the featured=20
vocalist with Harry Hershey.=20

At 21, ERIN KUFEL is already one of the most sought-after jazz vocalists in=20
northern Ohio, performing regularly with Ernie Krivda's two groups: the Fat=20
Tuesday Big Band and Swing City. She has been singing all her life and recei=
ved=20
outstanding soloist awards at the Western Michigan, Tiffin, Purdue and Lakel=
and=20
jazz festivals.=20

Joe Hunter's instrumental trio for the Irving Berlin concert includes drumme=
r=20
RAY PORRELLO, a veteran of the Count Basie Orchestra and a featured member o=
f=20
Sammy Davis Jr.'s rhythm section, and bass player BRYAN THOMAS, who has=20
toured with the Glenn Miller Orchestra and performed on the Norwegian Cruise=
 Lines.=20

This is the second offering of the JCC's newly launched 2004-05 Arts &=20
Culture Season which redefines the JCC's commitment to support, produce and=20=
present=20
the arts to the widest possible audiences in Northeast Ohio. This season has=
=20
been made possible by a grant from the Green Arts Fund of the Jewish Communi=
ty=20
Federation of Cleveland and is dedicated to Roe Green.

The JCC is also a proud recipient of a Cuyahoga County Economic Development=20
Grant for its Arts & Culture program.=A0 This funding is provided in part by=
 the=20
generous support of the Cuyahoga County Board of Commissioners:
Jimmy Dimora, Peter Lawson Jones and Tim McCormack.=A0=20

Upcoming performances of the JCC's 2004-05 Arts & Culture Season include Yur=
i=20
Lane, human beatbox phenomenon, starring in From Tel Aviv to Ramallah: A=20
Beatbox Journey (March 5, 2005); the JCC's fifth-annual An Evening of Classi=
cal=20
Music (May 8, 2005); and the world premiere of Albi Gorn's play, To Know Him=
=20
(May 5-22, 2005).

The JCC gratefully acknowledges the support of the Holiday Inn - Beachwood.

About the JCC

The Jewish Community Center of Cleveland builds and strengthens Cleveland's=20
entire Jewish Community by providing exceptional programs and services that=20
enhance Jewish continuity and Jewish identity in four key program areas: Hea=
lth,=20
Wellness and Recreation, Early Childhood Education, Camping and Cultural=20
Arts.=A0 Membership to the JCC is open to all.=A0 The JCC is a non-profit so=
cial=20
service agency that receives funding from the Jewish Community Federation an=
d the=20
United Way.

--part1_140.394b0355.2ee8926f_boundary

=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"><BR>
<P ALIGN=3DCENTER></FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#800080" BACK=3D"#ffffff" style=3D"=
BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D3 PTSIZE=3D12 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=
=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"><B>The Jewish Community Center of Cleveland presents</=
FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#800080" BACK=3D"#ffffff" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f=
fffff" SIZE=3D4 PTSIZE=3D14 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">=20=
</FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#800080" BACK=3D"#ffffff" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR:=20=
#ffffff" SIZE=3D3 PTSIZE=3D12 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"=
><BR>
<I>Irving Berlin: The Proud Father of 20th Century Song</I><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#800080" BACK=3D"#ffffff" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR:=20=
#ffffff" SIZE=3D2 PTSIZE=3D10 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"=
>Musical Journey Features Radio Personality Bill Rudman<BR>
and Jazz Pianist Joe Hunter <BR>
One Performance Only, this Sunday, December 12, at 2 p.m.<BR>
at Cuyahoga Community College Eastern Campus Performing Arts Center</FONT><F=
ONT  COLOR=3D"#800080" BACK=3D"#ffffff" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff"=20=
SIZE=3D3 PTSIZE=3D12 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"><BR>
<BR>
<P ALIGN=3DLEFT></FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000" BACK=3D"#ffffff" style=3D"BA=
CKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D2 PTSIZE=3D10 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"A=
rial" LANG=3D"0">Ticket prices: $15 for general public; $12 for JCC members;=
 $13 for seniors and $14 for groups of 10 or more.</B><BR>
<B><BR>
To charge tickets by phone call the JCC Box Office at (216) 382-4000 ext. 27=
4.=A0</B> To purchase a <B>group of 10 or more tickets call</B> <B>(216) 593=
-6258.</B>=A0 Tickets can also be purchased, in person, at the JCC Box Offic=
e located at 3505 Mayfield Road, Cleveland Heights, OH=A0 44118.=A0 <B>On th=
e day of the performance only, tickets may be purchased one hour prior to th=
e performance at the box office </B>of the Tri-C Eastern Campus Performing A=
rts Center, 4250 Richmond Road, Highland Hills, OH=A0 44122.</FONT><FONT  CO=
LOR=3D"#000000" BACK=3D"#ffffff" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=
=3D3 PTSIZE=3D12 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"><BR>
<P ALIGN=3DCENTER></FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000" BACK=3D"#ffffff" style=3D"=
BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D2 PTSIZE=3D10 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=
=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"><B><BR>
<P ALIGN=3DLEFT></B>Presented by the Jewish Community Center of Cleveland in=
 association with Cuyahoga Community College Eastern Campus Theatre Arts&nbs=
p; <BR>
<BR>
<B><U>About the Concert</B></U><BR>
<B><I>Irving Berlin: The Proud Father of 20th Century Song</B></I> was conce=
ived and written by radio personality <B>Bill Rudman</B>. Rudman and jazz pi=
anist <B>Joe Hunter</B> co-host the show, which features vocalists <B>Erin K=
ufel </B>and <B>Vince Mastro</B>, with <B>Bryan Thomas </B>on bass and <B>Ra=
y Porrello</B> on drums.<BR>
<BR>
The concert tells the rags-to-riches story of Berlin (1888-1989), a Jewish i=
mmigrant who fled Czarist Russia and arrived on Ellis Island with his family=
 at the age of five, quickly learning not only the English language but how=20=
to make a living as a singing waiter on New York's Lower East Side.<BR>
<BR>
Berlin, who taught himself to play the piano and create his own words and mu=
sic, broke through on Tin Pan Alley in 1911 with his worldwide sensation, "A=
lexander's Ragtime Band," and from then on there was no stopping him. <BR>
Over the next 60 years the composer-lyricist wrote more than 1,500 songs for=
 Broadway, Hollywood and Tin Pan Alley including "White Christmas," "Blue Sk=
ies," "Let's Face the Music and Dance," "How Deep Is the Ocean?," "Cheek to=20=
Cheek"=A0 and of course "God Bless America" - all of which, along with 20 ot=
her songs, are performed in the concert. <BR>
<BR>
His words and music were introduced by such legendary American performers as=
 Fred Astaire, Bing Crosby, Judy Garland, Al Jolson, Ethel Merman, Ginger Ro=
gers, Rosemary Clooney and Ethel Waters. <BR>
<BR>
Berlin's work has become a permanent part of popular culture.=A0 As his coll=
eague Jerome Kern once observed, "Irving Berlin has no place in American mus=
ic; he is American music." And to bring Berlin to life for a contemporary au=
dience, Rudman has included dozens of still images in the show, along with r=
are audio and video clips of the songwriter in action. "Berlin and his extra=
ordinary legacy of song," says Rudman, "embody all that we treasure in the A=
merican dream."<BR>
<BR>
<B><I>Irving Berlin: The Proud Father of 20th Century Song</B></I>, was orig=
inally produced by Tri-C JazzFest Cleveland as part of The Song Is You, Rudm=
an and Hunter's ongoing series exploring the Great American Songbook. Songwr=
iters featured this season are Jerome Kern, Hoagy Carmichael, George and Ira=
 Gershwin, Harold Arlen and Duke Ellington. <BR>
<BR>
<B>BILL RUDMAN </B>is an award-winning broadcaster and the executive directo=
r of Musical Theater Education Programming, a nonprofit organization whose m=
ission is to bring the art of the American musical and the Great American So=
ngbook to the widest possible audience. Rudman hosts the syndicated radio pr=
ogram "Footlight Parade," broadcast for 21 years on WCLV 104.9 FM, and for s=
ix years on more than 75 stations coast-to-coast.<BR>
<BR>
As a record producer, Rudman has supervised jazz albums focusing on American=
 popular song and featuring such vocalists as Peggy Lee and Maxine Sullivan.=
=A0 He and jazz artist Ernie Krivda have created special concerts for Tri-C=20=
JazzFest=A0 celebrating scores by Kurt Weill and Langston Hughes ("Street Sc=
ene"), George and Ira Gershwin ("Girl Crazy") and Leonard Bernstein, Betty C=
omden and Adolph Green ("On the Town"). <BR>
<BR>
Rudman, the former associate director of Great Lakes Theater Festival, is th=
e recipient of eight Northern Ohio Live Awards of Achievement in popular mus=
ic, theater and arts education. In 2000 he received the first Robert P. Berg=
man Award for his work in arts education and outreach in the Cleveland area.=
 <BR>
<BR>
<B>JOE HUNTER,</B> who has been playing piano professionally since 1979, has=
 served on the faculty of the Tri-C Jazz Studies Program for several years a=
nd is a popular performer throughout Greater Cleveland. He attended Clevelan=
d State University, where an exchange program in Rio De Janeiro fueled his f=
ascination with Brazilian rhythms. He returned to Brazil in 1981 to study at=
 the Universidade Gamma Filho. <BR>
>From 1987 to 1996, Hunter served on the Conservatory of Music faculty at Cap=
itol University in Columbus. He has performed with many national artists inc=
luding Conti Condoli, Tito Puente and Scott Hamilton, and is a favorite at m=
any Tri-C JazzFest events. <BR>
<BR>
<B>VINCE MASTRO </B>has developed a loyal following in Cleveland over many y=
ears. After receiving a Decca Records contract in New York City, he enrolled=
 at the Juilliard School of Music and studied jazz and vocals, returning lat=
er to Cleveland and recording an album with his quartet. Recently he collabo=
rated with Joe Howard on the CD, "As Time Goes By," and he is currently the=20=
featured vocalist with Harry Hershey. <BR>
<BR>
At 21, <B>ERIN KUFEL</B> is already one of the most sought-after jazz vocali=
sts in northern Ohio, performing regularly with Ernie Krivda's two groups: t=
he Fat Tuesday Big Band and Swing City. She has been singing all her life an=
d received outstanding soloist awards at the Western Michigan, Tiffin, Purdu=
e and Lakeland jazz festivals. <BR>
<BR>
Joe Hunter's instrumental trio for the Irving Berlin concert includes drumme=
r <B>RAY PORRELLO,</B> a veteran of the Count Basie Orchestra and a featured=
 member of Sammy Davis Jr.'s rhythm section, and bass player <B>BRYAN THOMAS=
</B>, who has toured with the Glenn Miller Orchestra and performed on the No=
rwegian Cruise Lines. <BR>
<BR>
This is the second offering of the JCC's newly launched 2004-05 Arts & C=
ulture Season which redefines the JCC's commitment to support, produce and p=
resent the arts to the widest possible audiences in Northeast Ohio. <B>This=20=
season has been made possible by a grant from the Green Arts Fund of the Jew=
ish Community Federation of Cleveland and is dedicated to Roe Green.</B><BR>
<BR>
The JCC is also a proud recipient of a <B>Cuyahoga County Economic Developme=
nt Grant for its Arts & Culture program.=A0 This funding is provided in=20=
part by the generous support of the Cuyahoga County Board of Commissioners:<=

Jimmy Dimora, Peter Lawson Jones and Tim McCormack.</B>=A0 <BR>
<BR>
Upcoming performances of the JCC's 2004-05 Arts & Culture Season include=
 Yuri Lane, human beatbox phenomenon, starring in From Tel Aviv to Ramallah:=
 A Beatbox Journey (March 5, 2005); the JCC's fifth-annual An Evening of Cla=
ssical Music (May 8, 2005); and the world premiere of Albi Gorn's play, To K=
now Him (May 5-22, 2005).<BR>
<BR>
The JCC gratefully acknowledges the support of the <B>Holiday Inn - Beachwoo=
d</B>.<BR>
<BR>
<B><U>About the JCC</B></U><BR>
<BR>
The Jewish Community Center of Cleveland builds and strengthens Cleveland's=20=
entire Jewish Community by providing exceptional programs and services that=20=
enhance Jewish continuity and Jewish identity in four key program areas: Hea=
lth, Wellness and Recreation, Early Childhood Education, Camping and Cultura=
l Arts.=A0 Membership to the JCC is open to all.=A0 The JCC is a non-profit=20=
social service agency that receives funding from the Jewish Community Federa=
tion and the United Way.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
</P></P></P></P></FONT></HTML>
--part1_140.394b0355.2ee8926f_boundary--