[NEohioPAL]WCPN tonight Philip Brunelle Christmas Concert features local composer

aj.higbee at sbcglobal.net aj.higbee at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 23 07:01:29 PST 2004

------=_NextPart_000_0811_01C4E8D6.5F5C5AF0

Folks, don't miss this broadcast.  It will also feature a winter cantata =
by Libby Larson.
 8:00 PM      90.3 WCPN Welcome Christmas!
      "Ring in the season with two brilliant new carols! "Imagine what =
it was
like when 'Deck the Hall' was first heard--or the magical evening in the
Austrian Alps when 'Silent Night' was first sung," says Philip Brunelle,
artistic director of VocalEssence. The carol competition was begun with =
the
same idea because carols are a living, breathing part of our holiday
experience. "Every year we look for that unique carol that will touch
everyone and make us happy to be celebrating another Christmas season."
Thomas Fielding (Bloomington, Indiana) and Alan Higbee (Beachwood, Ohio)
were selected from a total of 74 entries received from 28 states. Thomas
Fielding's carol, "Behold the Dark and Bitter Night," is a setting of =
his
own text and is scored for chorus with harp. Alan Higbee's carol, "In =
the
Bleak Midwinter" is a setting of a poem by Christina Rossetti, =
accompanied
by solo oboe. Welcome Christmas! also features two other world =
premieres:
"Make We Merry," written for the VocalEssence 35th anniversary season by
Stephen Paulus. Paulus has become one of America's most successful
composers. His popular choral work "Pilgrims' Hymn" was selected for
performance during funeral services for the late President Ronald Reagan =
at
the National Cathedral in Washington, DC. "A Carol" by Cary John =
Franklin
sets a poem by Donald Hall."

------=_NextPart_000_0811_01C4E8D6.5F5C5AF0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><EM>Folks, don't miss this broadcast.  It will also feature a =
winter=20
cantata by Libby Larson.</EM></DIV>
<DIV> <STRONG>8:00 PM      90.3 WCPN =
Welcome=20
Christmas!<BR></STRONG>      "Ring in the =
season with=20
two brilliant new carols! "Imagine what it was<BR>like when 'Deck the =
Hall' was=20
first heard--or the magical evening in the<BR>Austrian Alps when 'Silent =
Night'=20
was first sung," says Philip Brunelle,<BR>artistic director of =
VocalEssence. The=20
carol competition was begun with the<BR>same idea because carols are a =
living,=20
breathing part of our holiday<BR>experience. "Every year we look for =
that unique=20
carol that will touch<BR>everyone and make us happy to be celebrating =
another=20
Christmas season."<BR>Thomas Fielding (Bloomington, Indiana) and =
<STRONG><U>Alan=20
Higbee (Beachwood, Ohio)<BR></U></STRONG>were selected from a total of =
74=20
entries received from 28 states. Thomas<BR>Fielding's carol, "Behold the =
Dark=20
and Bitter Night," is a setting of his<BR>own text and is scored for =
chorus with=20
harp.<STRONG><U> Alan Higbee's carol, "In the<BR>Bleak Midwinter" is a =
setting=20
of a poem by Christina Rossetti, accompanied<BR>by solo oboe.=20
</U></STRONG>Welcome Christmas! also features two other world=20
premieres:<BR>"Make We Merry," written for the VocalEssence 35th =
anniversary=20
season by<BR>Stephen Paulus. Paulus has become one of America's most=20
successful<BR>composers. His popular choral work "Pilgrims' Hymn" was =
selected=20
for<BR>performance during funeral services for the late President Ronald =
Reagan=20
at<BR>the National Cathedral in Washington, DC. "A Carol" by Cary John=20
Franklin<BR>sets a poem by Donald Hall."<BR></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0811_01C4E8D6.5F5C5AF0--