[NEohioPAL]Scene Magazine recognizes Karamu House for 2004

Performing Arts performingarts at karamu.com
Thu Dec 30 12:39:18 PST 2004

------=_NextPart_000_0025_01C4EE85.B9B00C40

Stage Frights & Delights
Looking back at the shows that made 2004 memorable
By Christine Howey=20

It's time once again to lounge in front of a roaring fire, prop our =
SpongeBob slippers on a hassock, sip a fragrant hot toddy, and mull over =
the past 12 months of theater. Of course, even if you're slipperless and =
haven't the faintest idea what a toddy is, despair not -- reasonably =
clean sweatsocks and a frosty longneck will do fine. Here, then, are =
some of the significant high points -- and a few low ones -- that made =
2004 memorable:=20

Born Again on East 89th Street=20
After a few years in the theatrical doldrums, Karamu has returned with a =
surge of creative energy and purpose that is exhilarating to witness. =
Under the inspired creative direction of Terrence Spivey, the company =
has mounted shows that are both challenging and incredibly captivating. =
Spivey directed Bee-Luther-Hatchee, a clumsily named but engrossing =
exploration of ethics and intellectual honesty, while the many layers of =
mother-daughter relationships were peeled back in the splendidly acted =
Jar the Floor. Even their near-misses -- such as the controversial =
Stonewall Jackson's House -- are fascinating and thought-provoking.=20

Kudos was also given to Karamu's director Hassan Rogers for good batting =
average of solid work.

(Please click on either link for full story on the 2004 theatre scene in =
Cleveland)
clevescene.com | Stage Frights & Delights | 2004-12-29
http://www.clevescene.com/issues/current/culture_toc.html

------=_NextPart_000_0025_01C4EE85.B9B00C40

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<DIV><A=20
href=3D"http://www.clevescene.com/issues/2004-12-29/culture/stage.html"><=
B>Stage=20
Frights & Delights</B></A></DIV>
<DIV>Looking back at the shows that made 2004 memorable</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>By Christine Howey</STRONG> </DIV>
<DIV><STRONG></STRONG> </DIV>
<DIV>It's time once again to lounge in front of a roaring fire, prop our =

SpongeBob slippers on a hassock, sip a fragrant hot toddy, and mull over =
the=20
past 12 months of theater. Of course, even if you're slipperless and =
haven't the=20
faintest idea what a toddy is, despair not -- reasonably clean =
sweatsocks and a=20
frosty longneck will do fine. Here, then, are some of the significant =
high=20
points -- and a few low ones -- that made 2004 memorable: </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>
<P><B>Born Again on East 89th Street <BR></B>After a few years in the =
theatrical=20
doldrums, Karamu has returned with a surge of creative energy and =
purpose that=20
is exhilarating to witness. Under the inspired creative direction of =
Terrence=20
Spivey, the company has mounted shows that are both challenging and =
incredibly=20
captivating. Spivey directed <I>Bee-Luther-Hatchee</I>, a clumsily named =
but=20
engrossing exploration of ethics and intellectual honesty, while the =
many layers=20
of mother-daughter relationships were peeled back in the splendidly =
acted <I>Jar=20
the Floor</I>. Even their near-misses -- such as the controversial =
<I>Stonewall=20
Jackson's House</I> -- are fascinating and thought-provoking. </P>
<P>Kudos was also given to Karamu's director Hassan Rogers for good =
batting=20
average of solid work.</P></DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>(Please click on either link for full story on the 2004 theatre =
scene=20
in Cleveland)</DIV></DIV>
<DIV><A=20
href=3D"http://www.clevescene.com/issues/2004-12-29/culture/stage.html">c=
levescene.com=20
| Stage Frights & Delights | 2004-12-29</A></DIV>
<DIV><A=20
href=3D"http://www.clevescene.com/issues/current/culture_toc.html">http:/=
/www.clevescene.com/issues/current/culture_toc.html</A></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>