[NEohioPAL]protecting your email address and computer from internet scoundrels

FSternfeld at aol.com FSternfeld at aol.com
Sat Jan 15 10:11:52 PST 2005

-------------------------------1105812712

Some people who have posted to the list have informed me that their  e-mail
address has been the victim of "spoofing" and/or  "phishing."

The neohiopal posting address or anyone's individual address can be  used as
a fake address by internet scoundrels.  Almost everyone I have  talked to
about this issue has been a victim of this at one point or  another.

THE BEST WAY TO PROTECT YOURSELF AND YOUR COMPUTER IS TO NEVER OPEN  AN
ATTACHMENT FROM AN UNFAMILIAR E-MAIL ADDRESS OR FROM THE NEOHIOPAL  LIST.

As you probably know, I have a "no graphics or attachments" policy  for this
very reason.  Occasionally, I accidentally approve a message with  a graphic
or attachment because I only see the first part of the posting in the  queue
and simply can't tell that there is one.

Your will always be able to open your neohiopal mail and assume it  is safe
as long as there is no attachment on it.

There is more information about "spoofing" and "phishing" at this  link: _ht
tp://www.mailsbroadcast.com/email.broadcast.faq/46.email.spoofing.htm_
(http://www.mailsbroadcast.com/email.broadcast.faq/46.email.spoofing.htm)

You can also google these words to learn more about the problem:  spoofing,
phishing, spam, counterfeit email, hijacked email.

If any of you know more about this issue that you want to share  with the
list, please chime in - however I will limit the discussion to the next  day or
so.

Fred  Sternfeld
_http://www.fredsternfeld.com_ (http://www.fredsternfeld.com/)
216-360-0708-  home
216-496-6087- cell

-------------------------------1105812712

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2900.2523" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY id=3Drole_body style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; COLOR: #000000; FONT-FAMILY:=20=
Arial"=20
e_document=20
face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D3>
<DIV><STRONG>Some people who have posted to the list have informed me that t=
heir=20
e-mail address has been the victim of "spoofing" and/or=20
"phishing."</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG></STRONG> </DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>The neohiopal posting address or anyone's individual address ca=
n be=20
used as a fake address by internet scoundrels.  Almost everyone I have=20
talked to about this issue has been a victim of this at one point or=20
another.</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG></STRONG> </DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>THE BEST WAY TO PROTECT YOURSELF AND YOUR COMPUTER IS TO NEVER=20=
OPEN=20
AN ATTACHMENT FROM AN UNFAMILIAR E-MAIL ADDRESS OR FROM THE NEOHIOPAL=20
LIST.</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG></STRONG> </DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>As you probably know, I have a "no graphics or attachments" pol=
icy=20
for this very reason.  Occasionally, I accidentally approve a message w=
ith=20
a graphic or attachment because I only see the first part of the posting in=20=
the=20
queue and simply can't tell that there is one.</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG></STRONG> </DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>Your will always be able to open your neohiopal mail and assume=
 it=20
is safe as long as there is no attachment on it.</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG></STRONG> </DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>There is more information about "spoofing" and "phishing" at th=
is=20
link: <A=20
href=3D"http://www.mailsbroadcast.com/email.broadcast.faq/46.email.spoofing.=
htm">http://www.mailsbroadcast.com/email.broadcast.faq/46.email.spoofing.htm=
</A></STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG></STRONG> </DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>You can also google these words to learn more about the problem=
:=20
spoofing, phishing, spam, counterfeit email, hijacked email.</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG></STRONG> </DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>If any of you know more about this issue that you want to share=
=20
with the list, please chime in - however I will limit the discussion to the=20=
next=20
day or so.</STRONG></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT lang=3D0 face=3D"Script MT Bold" size=3D4 FAMILY=3D"SCRIPT" PTSIZ=
E=3D"14">Fred=20
Sternfeld</FONT><FONT lang=3D0 face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D4 FAMILY=
=3D"SANSSERIF"=20
PTSIZE=3D"14"><BR></FONT><FONT lang=3D0 face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff size=
=3D3=20
FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" PTSIZE=3D"12"><A=20
href=3D"http://www.fredsternfeld.com/">http://www.fredsternfeld.com</A><U><B=
R></U>216-360-0708-=20
home<BR>216-496-6087- cell<B><BR></B></FONT></DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>