[NEohioPAL]An Open Letter to the Theater Community

Randy Rollison rrollison at cptonline.org
Fri Jan 28 11:23:15 PST 2005

An Open Letter to the Theater Community

In the past six years as a member of the Cleveland theater community I have
been honored to work among you.  There is an incredible base of artists
here.  Having spent most of my career in New York, I grew of age in this
business working in a world of endless striving.  Artists didn’t do theater
so much for the art of it, but as a way to get an agent so they could work
in the more lucrative fields of television and film.  Sure, there were many
of us who made theater because we passionately believed in the art form.
But many had one eye on the script and another on what casting agent was in
the front row.

It has been great to be here working among so many who really just want to
make great theater happen.  With the “but who is going to see me in it”
dynamic removed, you can trust that most of the artists you are
collaborating with are in the room because they feel it is an important
place to be and they are excited by all the possibilities in themselves and
others.

Like in New York or Chicago or Seattle, most don’t make a living here as a
theater artist.  Those that do either work for one of the theaters or cobble
together assorted small jobs in related fields.  The economics of the
industry are not kind to the theater artist.  The organizations do the best
they can with the resources they have to provide what we hope is at least
some fair compensation for your work.  But we all realize that it is not
enough for you to pay the rent, keep fed and clothed and raise families.
Unfortunately, I think this has helped create a couple of problems I’d like
to address that are the reason for this letter.

First, because theater people don’t make their living practicing their art
there can at times be a rather cavalier attitude about their commitments,
whether to an audition or a part or as a member of the production team.  I’
ve noticed that actors sometimes blow off an audition or a crew person
suddenly has another conflict arise and won’t be available for two nights of
tech.  There is habitual lateness to rehearsal or lack of preparation that
allows for the best use of rehearsal time.   Most of the community is very
disciplined and respectful, but those with a more casual attitude can easily
throw off course those who do approach the process respectfully. Some of
those who are considered professionals in the field in Cleveland have that
casual attitude.

Secondly, there is a very unfortunate habit having to do with alcohol and
drugs.  Actors have arrived at auditions, rehearsals and performances
smelling of alcohol. (Don’t think the mints mask the odor.)  I have seen
them in bars prior to calls – some even during performances. Some actors and
technicians even joke openly about having snuck off during the show to smoke
a joint or do a shot.  I have to ask the question of them – What are you
thinking?

It is really hard to keep a theatre going.  The odds are against us every
day as we try to keep the doors open and the shows happening.  We commit
precious resources, public funding and the good will and energy of a lot of
people to everything that happens on our stages.  Yes, we love to party too.
I’m a big martini fan myself.  But it is critical to remember the time for
play is not when you are in a play.  This isn’t college.  There are
professional theaters that want to work with you, but if you cannot work
without the benefit of drugs or alcohol, perhaps you should be at a party
and not in a production. Your acts risk throwing off your artistic
collaborators who are committed, do work hard, and take the art seriously,
as well as all those people in offices, scenic and costume shops who have
labored so hard to allow you to be on stage.  And you insult our audiences
because you have made a choice not to be present to honor the commitment to
them.

For every one of us working in the theater, there scores of others, all
working toward the same goal – to make good art.  We want the best from and
for everyone.  We’ll do our part.  Will you do yours?

Let’s honor one another, our art and our audiences.

Thank you,

Randy Rollison
Executive/Artistic Director
Cleveland Public Theatre