[NEohioPAL]Response to open letter

Martin Friedman martinfriedman98 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 29 09:46:30 PST 2005

--0-1242780121-1107020790=:10286

Hello.
Like all directors (whether they were called actor/managers or producers), I've had my share of problems with actors and technicians. Who hasn't.  I suspect I have been a problem to my actors, designers and technicians, too. Indeed, it's always something.

While I do my due-dilligence; and call other directors to get their imput on potential collaborators, it ultimately comes down to my personal judgement. It's my gut feeling about someone whether I cast or hire them for the first, or next time or last time.

While it may be liberating to name names... or to use inuendo, everybody has something to hide....some baggage.

I have not met a director, musical director, designer or TD who has not had to replace and/or fire someone either prior to or during a show.

I believe if you've been screwed, vow never to work with that person again. Pass along your recommendation when called. Decide when, and if, you will ever cast or hire them again.

Inuendo is a terrible thing. Many people have been damaged throughout the years by that.
Plays have been written. We never name names. No. That would be too hard to do. What we do is use inuendo.

It's easier isn't it? We can go from substance abuse to what? sexual preference? religion? Political affiliation? Where does it stop?

It stops with me.

Martin Friedman

--0-1242780121-1107020790=:10286

<DIV>Hello.</DIV>
<DIV>Like all directors (whether they were called actor/managers or producers), I've had my share of problems with actors and technicians. Who hasn't.  I suspect I have been a problem to my actors, designers and technicians, too. Indeed, it's always something.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>While I do my due-dilligence; and call other directors to get their imput on potential collaborators, it ultimately comes down to my personal judgement. It's my gut feeling about someone whether I cast or hire them for the first, or next time or last time. </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>While it may be liberating to name names... or to use inuendo, everybody has something to hide....some baggage.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I have not met a director, musical director, designer or TD who has not had to replace and/or fire someone either prior to or during a show.  </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I believe if you've been screwed, vow never to work with that person again. Pass along your recommendation <STRONG>when called</STRONG>. Decide when, and if, you will ever cast or hire them again. </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Inuendo is a terrible thing. Many people have been damaged throughout the years by that. </DIV>
<DIV>Plays have been written. We never name names. No. That would be too hard to do. What we do is use inuendo. </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>It's easier isn't it? We can go from substance abuse to what? sexual preference? religion? Political affiliation? Where does it stop?</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>It stops with me.   </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Martin Friedman</DIV><p>