[NEohioPAL]response to letter

Evie Morris bachtobroadway42 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 29 20:53:37 PST 2005

--0-56638970-1107060817=:90252

Dear Friends,
       As a person who will give you my opinion, whether you ask for it or not, I offer these thoughts.
      Several decades ago, when I was a young person, the societal RIGHTS OF PASSAGE for modelling adult behavior were smoking, drinking, and having sex, both in and out of artistic circles.To put things in perspective for the younger generation, that was BEFORE research had publicly linked smoking to cancer, it was before the words alcoholic,chemically dependent, 12 step-program and recovery were a part of every day vocabulary, and it was before the AIDS epidemic and rampant STD's.
     A significant number of us, who are now in our 50's and 60's came of age in those times and some of those people whose casual partying may have become full-blown addictions, realized they had gone beyond social drinking or drugging and got help one way or another. It's fair to say that there are plenty of artistic people who choose not to use at all or control their use to cast parties and after work situations.
   We all have strengths and weaknesses, we are all human beings, both flawed and fabulous at the same time.Every director has the right to have professional expectations in their work environment, every cast is there to sublimate their individual egos for the good of the whole production and hope that in doing so, they create the magic of theater and live performance.
    If you've "been there, done that" there is always the option to reach out, share your personal experience and let the impaired user know that there are choices they can make. If they need help, you can offer it. After all, many of these people have the disease of alcoholism and chemical dependency. You just may be the person that helps them to see what they are doing and you may be the person that is their catalyst for change.
   Aside from that, I am always moved when "the list" is motivated to think, speak, and express
a variety of opinions and experiences.It takes courage to speak out and take risks, but I respect and admire Randy and everyone else for doing so. I would expect that from artists and am grateful we have a venue for communicating with one another.
                                                                    Shalom & love,
                                                                                                Evie Morris

--0-56638970-1107060817=:90252

<DIV>Dear Friends,</DIV>
<DIV>       As a person who will give you my opinion, whether you ask for it or not, I offer these thoughts.</DIV>
<DIV>      Several decades ago, when I was a young person, the societal RIGHTS OF PASSAGE for modelling adult behavior were smoking, drinking, and having sex, both in and out of artistic circles.To put things in perspective for the younger generation, that was BEFORE research had publicly linked smoking to cancer, it was before the words alcoholic,chemically dependent, 12 step-program and recovery were a part of every day vocabulary, and it was before the AIDS epidemic and rampant STD's.</DIV>
<DIV>     A significant number of us, who are now in our 50's and 60's came of age in those times and some of those people whose casual partying may have become full-blown addictions, realized they had gone beyond social drinking or drugging and got help one way or another. It's fair to say that there are plenty of artistic people who choose not to use at all or control their use to cast parties and after work situations.</DIV>
<DIV>   We all have strengths and weaknesses, we are all human beings, both flawed and fabulous at the same time.Every director has the right to have professional expectations in their work environment, every cast is there to sublimate their individual egos for the good of the whole production and hope that in doing so, they create the magic of theater and live performance.</DIV>
<DIV>    If you've "been there, done that" there is always the option to reach out, share your personal experience and let the impaired user know that there are choices they can make. If they need help, you can offer it. After all, many of these people have the disease of alcoholism and chemical dependency. You just may be the person that helps them to see what they are doing and you may be the person that is their catalyst for change.</DIV>
<DIV>   Aside from that, I am always moved when "the list" is motivated to think, speak, and express</DIV>
<DIV>a variety of opinions and experiences.It takes courage to speak out and take risks, but I respect and admire Randy and everyone else for doing so. I would expect that from artists and am grateful we have a venue for communicating with one another.</DIV>
<DIV>                                                                    Shalom & love,</DIV>
<DIV>                                                                                                Evie Morris</DIV>
<DIV>      </DIV>
--0-56638970-1107060817=:90252--