[NEohioPAL]APRIL ACTING WORKSHOP

nwpl at lycos.com nwpl at lycos.com
Tue Feb 22 12:02:06 PST 2005

<STRONG><FONT size=3D5>New World Performance Lab's Workshop in Performance =
Ecology is filling up fast. There are still some spaces available, but cont=
act us now to register. <BR></FONT></STRONG><BR><FONT size=3D5>New World Pe=
rformance Laboratory announces a Workshop in Performance Ecology in residen=
ce at the beautiful Camp Asbury in Northeastern Ohio, April 1-3, 2005 <BR><=
/FONT><BR>New World Performance Lab will conduct a three day workshop in Pe=
rformance Ecology in residence at Camp Asbury the weekend of April 1-3, 200=
5. Pre-registration is from February 7 through March 1. Participation is li=
mited. Cost of the workshop is $200. This includes two nights of lodging an=
d six meals (dinner on Friday through lunch on Sunday). The workshop begins=
 Friday after dinner and continues until Sunday afternoon. To register and =
for more information contact NWPL at 330-867-3299 or nwpl at lycos.com <BR><BR=
>Performance Ecology is Jairo Cuesta=B4s term for a line of research he has=
 conducted since working in Jerzy Grotowski=B4s =93Theater of Sources=94 He=
 traces the word ecology to its greek root oikos (house) and relates Perfor=
mance Ecology to humanity=B4s increasing alienation from the=94first house=
=94 -- the body in the natural environment. <BR><BR>Performance Ecology is =
designed around the rudimentary performative elements concerning one=B4s hu=
manness and relationship with the physical world. <BR><BR>Performance Ecolo=
gy seeks to liberate the dormant energy and creative impulses in the partic=
ipant/performer -- in solitude, in company, with the space or with the part=
ner. <BR><BR>Performance Ecology involves creative training in the basic el=
ements of the actor=B4s craft: physical exercise, voice work, attention and=
 perception, precision and flow, seeing, listening, meeting and the montage=
 of physical actions. <BR><BR>Performance Ecology is more than a workshop; =
it is a performance event that encourages the task of creating active cultu=
re. <BR><BR>Jairo Cuesta and James Slowiak have constructed a structural to=
ol that builds community and compassion while exploring the participant=B4s=
 individuality, creativity, and cultural dignity.  NWPL has conducted =
workshops in Performance Ecology around the world, including Italy, France,=
 Poland, Wales, Colombia, Lebanon, Taiwan, and other countries.<BR><BR>For =
more information see our website: www.nwplab.org <BR><BR>The mission of NWP=
L is to create theatre events and pedagogical programs, to research perform=
ance techniques from around the world, and to develop a contemporary perfor=
mance methodology for culturally diverse theatre artists. <BR><BR>The New W=
orld Performance Laboratory (NWPL), under the artistic direction of James S=
lowiak and Jairo Cuesta, is an evolving community of theatre artists. The c=
ompany's work has been featured in The Drama Review, Grotowski's Objective =
Drama Research by Lisa Wolford, and The Grotowski Sourcebook, edited by Ric=
hard Schechner and Lisa Wolford. Since 1992, NWPL has toured its performanc=
es and conducted workshops in Italy, Poland, France, Belgium, Bulgaria, Leb=
anon, Romania, Wales, Brazil, Colombia, and various cities in the USA, incl=
uding Chicago and New York. <BR><BR>James Slowiak is currently Professor of=
 Theatre at the University of Akron and Co-Artistic Director of New World P=
erformance Laboratory. From 1983 to 1989, Mr. Slowiak served as assistant t=
o Jerzy Grotowsky in all facets of the Focused Research Program in Objectiv=
e Drama at the University of California=96Irvine and at the Workcenter of J=
erzy Grotowski.in Pontedera, Italy. Mr. Slowiak=92s work in collaboration w=
ith Grotowski is discussed in several articles and books, including a new w=
ork for Routledge=92s Performance Practitioners series he is coauthoring wi=
th Jairo Cuesta. <BR><BR>Jairo Cuesta (co-artistic director) is a Colombian=
 actor and director. He collaborated with Jerzy Grotowski in the Theatre of=
 Sources and the Objective Drama Program from 1976 to 1986, working in Pola=
nd, France, Italy, Mexico, Haiti, and the USA. He participated in prelimina=
ry workshops for The Mahabarata in Paris, under the direction of Peter Broo=
k. Mr. Cuesta has been a guest artist at The University of Paris; the Unive=
rsity of California-Irvine; The Colorado College; Eckerd College; Case West=
ern Reserve University; and The University of Akron where he directed Samue=
l Beckett's Endgame. Mr. Cuesta has conducted numerous workshops in Perform=
ance Ecology and actor training techniques around the world. He has perform=
ed with Teatro Libre in Bogota, Colombia, and co-directed (with James Slowi=
ak) Moliere's The Misanthrope. For NWPL, Mr. Cuesta has directed The Dybbuk=
 and has performed in Mothers Work, The Recital of the Bird, Epiphany I, Th=
e Phantoms of King Lear, The Book of Saints and Martyrs, Woyzeck, Electra, =
HamletMachine, Love in the Time of Lunatics, and Deathwatch. <BR><BR>C a m =
p A S B U R Y <BR>About the Camp <BR><BR>Camp Asbury is a year-round facili=
ty owned and operated by the East Ohio Conference of The United Methodist C=
hurch. Camp Asbury is open to all persons regardless of race, gender, age, =
religion, or disability. <BR><BR>Heritage <BR>Camp Asbury began as a summer=
 camping site, offering its first summer programming in 1957. Over the year=
s, Camp Asbury has evolved into a year-round retreat and conference center =
with he addition of all season facilities and year-round staff. <BR><BR>Loc=
ation <BR>Camp Asbury is conveniently located two miles southwest of Hiram,=
 Ohio, in northern portage County. It is easily accessible from the Ohio tu=
rnpike (exit 13A), US Route 422 extension, and State Routes 82 and 88. The =
camp is approximately a one-hour drive from the Akron, Canton, Cleveland an=
d Youngstown areas. Cleveland Hopkins International Airport and Akron/Canto=
n Regional Airport are each about a one-hour drive from Camp Asbury. Pittsb=
urgh International Airport is located about 100 miles from the camp. <BR><B=
R>Administration <BR>The site is managed by the Camp director, Rev. William=
 Graham, and the site manager, Mr. Frank Duplay, who reside at the camp. Ye=
ar-round staff also includes an assistant director, food service manager an=
d a caretaker. <BR><BR>Camp Asbury is a not-for-profit, religiously affilia=
ted organization and meets all criteria as a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizat=
ion. <BR><BR>Affiliations <BR>Camp Asbury is accredited by the American Cam=
ping Association (ACA) and is approved by the Portage County Health Departm=
ent. <BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>New World Performance Laboratory <BR>James Slo=
wiak <BR>Jairo Cuesta <BR>Co-Artistic Director <BR><BR>
--=20
Find what you are looking for with the <a href=3Dhttp://r.lycos.com/r/yp_em=
ailfooter/http://yellowpages.lycos.com/default.asp?SRC=3Dlycos10>Lycos Yell=
ow Pages </a>