[NEohioPAL]Got Pay Meeting-Another opinion

JGMCPHERS at aol.com JGMCPHERS at aol.com
Thu Mar 24 09:26:54 PST 2005

-------------------------------1111685214

Interesting opinions everyone----- I'm working  on a production and
regrettably couldn't be at the  meeting---but from the buzz around town, I obviously
missed a very  interesting eye-opening experience for both sides of the fence.

I agree-- with much of what some of you expressed---not all--
 I have quietly sat back, observed and watched this for a  long time. Its
been topic of conversation  many times with others in  the field both here in
Cleveland and in other cities. I see actors,  production and tech people working
their way, rung by rung, up  the unstable ladder of the performing arts--( no
one starts at the top  right out of the gate)  One would not do that unless
there is a  dedication to growing as an individual in the art itself.. Heaven
knows there  are a lot of  other jobs with much better pay and certainly more
reasonable  hours. Obviously there is a wide level of abilities within Union
actors, AND the same within Non-Union I've seen outstanding Union  actors turned
away because the budget can only get them part way to union  standards.
Tragic. I've seen outstanding Non-Union actors turned away  from what could have
been some fabulous opportunities even though their  talents would compliment a
role/job. Tragic. Both have the same results---  they end up not working. How
is either supposed to survive or grow?
I will never believe that all is black and white with these issues....  many
times things get clouded with the pressures involving
producers,agents,directors, critics opinions, budgets, time restraints and  everything else we all
know comes into play.
I'm fortunate in that I have been able to land a number of  well-paid
contracts each year. If a situation is worth  it- I do no-pay things. I've even
donated stipends back into the  pot for the next project if I feel its really
needed and I can swing  it.
A lot of people have told me ( Union AND Non-Union) that  they are swimming
around in the gray area of this issue, need to come up  for air once in a
while-- and hesitate to say it.

Weigh each situation...aren't we all trying to do the same thing? Just  watch
so a talent/skill is not taken advantage of.. this alone will  raise the bar.
Its a big picture-- not always a pretty one.
Jolene M

-------------------------------1111685214

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2900.2604" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
Arial"=20
e_document=20
face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D2>
<DIV>Interesting opinions everyone----- I'm working=20
on a production and <STRONG>regrettably</STRONG> couldn't be at th=
e=20
meeting---but from the buzz around town, I obviously missed a very=20
interesting eye-opening experience for both sides of the fence.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I agree-- with much of what some of you expressed---not all--</DIV>
<DIV> I have quietly sat back, observed and watched this for=20=
a=20
long time. Its been topic of conversation  many times with others=20=
in=20
the field both here in Cleveland and in other cities. I see actors,=20
production and tech people working their way, rung by rung, up=20
the unstable ladder of the performing arts--( no one starts at the top=20
right out of the gate)  One would not do that unless there is=
 a=20
dedication to growing as an individual in the art itself.. Heaven knows ther=
e=20
are a lot of  other jobs with much better pay and certainly more reason=
able=20
hours. Obviously there is a wide level of abilities <EM>within</EM> Union=20
actors, AND the <EM>same</EM> within Non-Union I've seen outstanding Un=
ion=20
actors turned away because the budget can only get them part way to uni=
on=20
standards. Tragic. I've seen outstanding Non-Union actors turned away=20
from what could have been some fabulous opportunities even though their=
=20
talents would compliment a role/job. Tragic. Both have the same results=
---=20
they end up not working. How is either supposed to survive or grow?</DIV>
<DIV>I will never believe that all is black and white with these issues=
....=20
many times things get clouded with the pressures involving=20
producers,agents,directors, critics opinions, budgets, time restraints =
and=20
everything else we all know comes into play.</DIV>
<DIV>I'm fortunate in that I have been able to land a number=20=
of=20
well-paid contracts each year. If a situation is worth=20
it- I do no-pay things. I've even donated stipends back into =
the=20
pot for the next project if I feel its really needed and I can swing=20
it.</DIV>
<DIV>A lot of people have told me ( <U>Union AND Non-Union)</U> that=20
they are swimming around in the gray area of this issue, need to come u=
p=20
for air once in a while-- and hesitate to say it.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Weigh each situation...aren't we all trying to do the same thing? Just=20
watch so a talent/skill is not taken advantage of.. this alone wil=
l=20
raise the bar.</DIV>
<DIV>Its a big picture-- not always a pretty one. </DIV>
<DIV>Jolene M</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>