[NEohioPAL]Got Pay Meeting-Another opinion

sunshine sunshine at apk.net
Thu Mar 24 09:44:24 PST 2005

I just do stand up comedy and improvisational acting and I did two short
films, at no pay, one of which never made it out of the camera I think.
I started standup over 3 years ago.  I many times do not get paid to
perform but it's because I need to do that in my chosen profession to get
exposure and to get better.  In New York City, comedians starting out are
asked at times to PAY for stage time.
The point is, I agree with the posts about "paying ones dues", learning
the art form, and doing what you believe you need to do to make yourself
better, so you can be successful and then get paid.
I read these posts looking for unpaid talent all the time, and the only
one I've ever been quite shocked about is the one from a certain local TV
station looking for unpaid talent to do a promo spot for the station. I
thought that was dead wrong and pretentious and insulting and rude to all
of you, and I don't think anyone should have responded.  Otherwise, you do
what you have to do, so one day, with perserverence, hard work, and luck,
you can do what you want to do.
for what it's worth, that's my two cents
-Mike W.