[NEohioPAL]Is it just me, or did they think I wouldn't notice? CIFF RAG

Bill cinevid at yahoo.com
Fri May 6 06:00:14 PDT 2005

--0-1628720839-1115384414=:25433

Is it just me, or did they think I wouldn't notice?

One of the good things about the Cleveland International Film Festival was that they are one of the very few fests that actually let you see their reviewer's evaluations. Of course you have to wait till after the fest is over so you can't debate their opinions, but at least you get them. However this year I anxiously awaited my reviews only to find a single sheet with so little comment that it hardly seemed worth sending. With a lame scoring system that basically says, Yes, No, or Who Cares, I really feel cheated. I mean come on! My first reviews were handwritten requiring much time on the part of the reviewer, yet now even though it's probably an online evaluation system and very easy to do, I get less than one sheet of paper?! I'm sure they'd like to use the excuse that they get SOOO many submissions that there isn't enough time, but hey, they get paid for every one of those submissions. Maybe they just don't care very much about the submission process since, by their own
 admission, 80% of the schedule is already booked with films that were invited to be shown. You know, the 'safe' leftovers that have already placed in other fests.

But I guess the planners must know their audience better than the we do... or do they? A couple of local films called, "Nightowls of Coventry" and "Haywire" could have easily sold out two shows last year and been a great encouragement to local filmmakers, but instead ticket buyers were turned away. Anyway, I've posted samples from the evaluations I've received over the past three years and you tell me; is there something rotten in Denmark? (if so, get some European to film it and I'm sure the CIFF will show it)

To see samples of my previous reviews and the one I got this year goto:
http://cinevidproductions.com/festreviews/index.html

Bill Johns
www.cinevidproductions.com

---------------------------------
Yahoo! Mail
--0-1628720839-1115384414=:25433

<DIV>
<P>Is it just me, or did they think I wouldn't notice?</P>
<P>One of the good things about the Cleveland International Film Festival was that they are one of the very few fests that actually let you see their reviewer's evaluations. Of course you have to wait till after the fest is over so you can't debate their opinions, but at least you get them. However this year I anxiously awaited my reviews only to find a single sheet with so little comment that it hardly seemed worth sending. With a lame scoring system that basically says, Yes, No, or Who Cares, I really feel cheated. I mean come on! My first reviews were handwritten requiring much time on the part of the reviewer, yet now even though it's probably an online evaluation system and very easy to do, I get less than one sheet of paper?! I'm sure they'd like to use the excuse that they get SOOO many submissions that there isn't enough time, but hey, they get paid for every one of those submissions. Maybe they just don't care very much about the submission process since, by their own
 admission, 80% of the schedule is already booked with films that were invited to be shown. You know, the 'safe' leftovers that have already placed in other fests.</P>
<P>But I guess the planners must know their audience better than the we do... or do they? A couple of local films called, "Nightowls of Coventry" and "Haywire" could have easily sold out two shows last year and been a great encouragement to local filmmakers, but instead ticket buyers were turned away. Anyway, I've posted samples from the evaluations I've received over the past three years and you tell me; is there something rotten in Denmark? (if so, get some European to film it and I'm sure the CIFF will show it)</P></DIV>
<DIV>To see samples of my previous reviews and the one I got this year goto:</DIV>
<DIV><A href="http://cinevidproductions.com/festreviews/index.html">http://cinevidproductions.com/festreviews/index.html</A></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Bill Johns</DIV>
<DIV><A href="http://www.cinevidproductions.com">www.cinevidproductions.com</A></DIV>