[NEohioPAL]Shawn & Eyen Double Bill in Cesear's Forum Plays at Playhouse Square

Cesearsforum at aol.com Cesearsforum at aol.com
Sun May 22 21:34:34 PDT 2005

-------------------------------1116822874

Cesear's Forum is pleased to announce it will be presenting a double bill of=
=20
two neoexpressionist plays; Wallace Shawn's SUMMER EVENING, and Tom Eyen's=20
WHAT IS MAKING GILDA SO GRAY?, at Kennedy's Down Under, Playhouse Square Cen=
ter,=20
Cleveland, Ohio, June 24th through July 30th. The parallel motifs of yearnin=
g=20
desire and connection are pieced together through amusing, provocative=20
language with an underlying sense of tragedy.
In the first play, SUMMER EVENING, a young couple is staying at a foreign=20
hotel. She loses herself in cold, sensual daydreams, while he tries to expre=
ss=20
his frustrated longing for her. Their improbable expectations and uneasy=20
appetites are deprecatingly accepted. In GILDA, happiness, security and memo=
ry haunt=20
a couple=E2=80=99s relationship (one small problem: their inability to remem=
ber each=20
other=E2=80=99s name). The play conjectures on whether marriage is a gloriou=
s or a sad=20
compromise.
The plays of Mr. Eyen & Mr. Shawn share an immediacy, a =E2=80=9Cthis minute=
=E2=80=9D=20
quality, although the language is not random. Stylized prose and distinct mo=
ments=20
are connected to form a pattern, discontinuous, like a jigsaw puzzle, which=20=
the=20
audience=E2=80=99s imagination completes.
Wallace Shawn is a playwright, screenwriter, and a theatre-film-television=20
character actor. He is best known for his acting turns in films that include=
:=20
Manhattan, The Princess Bride and My Dinner with Andre, the latter for which=
 he=20
wrote the screenplay. His plays include: AUNT DAN AND LEMON, THE DESIGNATED=20
MOURNER, THE FEVER, THE HOTEL PLAY and MARIE AND BRUCE. Educated at Harvard=20=
and=20
Oxford, Mr. Shawn=E2=80=99s heady, dramatic comedies made a name for him in=20=
New York=20
City=E2=80=99s theatrical underground of the =E2=80=9880=E2=80=99s.
Tom Eyen (1941 =E2=80=93 1991) was a playwright, lyricist, director and a pr=
incipal=20
proponent of the 1960=E2=80=99s Off Off Broadway movement. Initially, his wo=
rk was seen=20
at the Caffe Cino & LaMama (with his Theatre of the Eye Repertory Company),=20
then Off Broadway and London. He wrote three musicals for then unknown Bette=
=20
Midler and two plays featured Divine. His humor extended to writing televisi=
on=20
scripts for the series Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman and he won a Tony Award fo=
r=20
the book (& lyrics) of DREAMGIRLS. Other works include: THE WHITE WHORE AND=20=
THE=20
BIT PLAYER, SARAH B. DIVINE, WHO KILLED MY BALD SISTER SOPHIE?, THE DIRTIEST=
=20
SHOW IN TOWN and WOMEN BEHIND BARS.
SUMMER EVENING & WHAT IS MAKING GILDA SO GRAY?, June 24th through July 30th,=
=20
Kennedy's Down Under, Playhouse Square Center, 1501 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland=
,=20
Friday & Saturdays at 8 pm. Single Tickets at $15.00. Call Tickets.com at=20
(216) 241-6000.=20

-------------------------------1116822874

<HTML><HEAD>
<META charset=3DUTF-8 http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charse=
t=3DUTF-8">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2900.2627" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
f">
<P class=3Dtext-main align=3Djustify><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D3=
>Cesear's Forum is pleased to announce it will be presenting a double bill o=
f two neoexpressionist plays; Wallace Shawn's <STRONG><EM>SUMMER EVENING</EM=
></STRONG>, and Tom Eyen's <EM><STRONG>WHAT IS MAKING GILDA SO GRAY?</STRONG=
></EM>, at Kennedy's Down Under, Playhouse Square Center, Cleveland, Ohio, J=
une 24th through July 30th. The parallel motifs of yearning desire and conne=
ction are pieced together through amusing, provocative language with an unde=
rlying sense of tragedy.</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D3>In the first play, <EM><STRONG>SU=
MMER EVENING</STRONG></EM>, a young couple is staying at a foreign hotel. Sh=
e loses herself in cold, sensual daydreams, while he tries to express his fr=
ustrated longing for her. Their improbable expectations and uneasy appetites=
 are deprecatingly accepted. In <EM><STRONG>GILDA</STRONG></EM>, happiness,=20=
security and memory haunt a couple=E2=80=99s relationship (one small problem=
: their inability to remember each other=E2=80=99s name). The play conjectur=
es on whether marriage is a glorious or a sad compromise.</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D3>The plays of Mr. Eyen & Mr. S=
hawn share an immediacy, a =E2=80=9Cthis minute=E2=80=9D quality, although t=
he language is not random. Stylized prose and distinct moments are connected=
 to form a pattern, discontinuous, like a jigsaw puzzle, which the audience=
=E2=80=99s imagination completes.</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D3>Wallace Shawn is a playwright, sc=
reenwriter, and a theatre-film-television character actor. He is best known=20=
for his acting turns in films that include: <EM>Manhattan, The Princess Brid=
e</EM> and <EM>My Dinner with Andre</EM>, the latter for which he wrote the=20=
screenplay. His plays include: <EM>AUNT DAN AND LEMON, THE DESIGNATED MOURNE=
R, THE FEVER, THE HOTEL PLAY </EM>and<EM> MARIE AND BRUCE</EM>. Educated at=20=
Harvard and Oxford, Mr. Shawn=E2=80=99s heady, dramatic comedies made a name=
 for him in New York City=E2=80=99s theatrical underground of the =E2=80=988=
0=E2=80=99s.</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D3>Tom Eyen (1941 =E2=80=93 1991) wa=
s a playwright, lyricist, director and a principal proponent of the 1960=E2=
=80=99s Off Off Broadway movement. Initially, his work was seen at the Caffe=
 Cino & LaMama (with his Theatre of the Eye Repertory Company), then Off=
 Broadway and London. He wrote three musicals for then unknown Bette Midler=20=
and two plays featured Divine. His humor extended to writing television scri=
pts for the series <EM>Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman</EM> and he won a Tony Awa=
rd for the book (& lyrics) of <EM>DREAMGIRLS</EM>. Other works include:=20=
<EM>THE WHITE WHORE AND THE BIT PLAYER, SARAH B. DIVINE, WHO KILLED MY BALD=20=
SISTER SOPHIE?, THE DIRTIEST SHOW IN TOWN and WOMEN BEHIND BARS</EM>.</FONT>=
</P>
<P class=3Dh2><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"><FONT size=3D3><STRONG><EM>SUMM=
ER EVENING</EM> </STRONG>&<STRONG> <EM>WHAT IS MAKING GILDA SO GRAY</EM>=
?</STRONG>, June 24th through July 30th, Kennedy's Down Under, Playhouse Squ=
are Center, 1501 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, Friday & Saturdays at 8 pm. S=
ingle Tickets at $15.00. Call Tickets.com at (216) 241-6000. </FONT></FONT><=
/P>