[NEohioPAL]Janet Snell Art Exhibit

Standing Rock Cultural Arts info at standingrock.net
Fri Jul 22 09:43:55 PDT 2005

--MS_Mac_OE_3204881036_139348_MIME_Part

Greetings,

WHO:  Standing Rock Cultural Arts

WHAT: =B3Heads Up=B2  Art Exhibition
-paintings, drawings, and prints by Janet Snell
=20
WHEN:  August 5 - August 12
-Opening Reception:  August 5, 8-11pm

WHERE:  North Water Street Gallery, 257 N. Water St., Kent

CONTACT:  330-673-4970

GALLERY HOURS:  Thursday-Saturday, 1-5pm or by appointment

Janet Snell Artist Statement

My interest has long been in marrying the figurative with the abstract,
exemplified in the human figure, it=B9s psychological underpinnings, and its
moods.  First, I get an image in my head and then I develop the space in
which the image resides---there is a lot of improvising going on.  The spac=
is the abstract, thus the poetry between image and space.  I am inspired by
music sometimes.  I get an image in my head when I=B9m listening to Jimi
Hendrix, Tom Waits, U2, etc.  More than anything, I want the image to
provoke thought in the viewer and myself.

Janet Snell Biography

I am a magna cum laude graduate of the Maryland Institute, College of Art
(1976)
where I studied painting with the late abstract expressionist Edward
Dugmore.
I have been included in over 40 group and solo shows in New York City,
Washington D.C., Baltimore, Cleveland, Akron and other cities.  I am the
author of =B3Flytrap=B2 (Cleveland Poetry Center 1990)- a book of drawings and
poems about the drawings, as well as an E-chapbook, =B3Heads=B2 (March Street
Press 1998) which was also painting and verse.Another book of drawings with
poems written by my sister, =B3Prisoner=B9s Dilemma=B2, is forthcoming.
I have been published in many literary journals including, =B3Gargoyle=B2,
=B3Washington Review=B2, and =B3River Oak Review=B2.  I will also be in a group
show, =B3Room with a View=B2, in James McCarthy=B9s Conference Room - starting
September 1st and running to December 31st.

www.standingrock.net for updates

Thank you for supporting the Arts,

Jeff Ingram/Executive Director
Standing Rock Cultural Arts
257 N. Water St.
Kent, OH 44240
330-673-4970
info at standingrock.net

--MS_Mac_OE_3204881036_139348_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Janet Snell Art Exhibit</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<B>Greetings,<BR>
<BR>
</B><FONT FACE=3D"Helvetica"><H2>WHO:  Standing Rock Cultural Arts<BR>
<BR>
WHAT: =B3Heads Up=B2  Art Exhibition<BR>
</H2><FONT SIZE=3D"4"><B>-paintings, drawings, and prints by Janet Snell<BR>
</B></FONT><H2> <BR>
WHEN:  August 5 - August 12<BR>
</H2><FONT SIZE=3D"5"><B>-</B></FONT><B><FONT SIZE=3D"4">Opening Reception: &nb=
sp;August 5, 8-11pm<BR>
</FONT></B><H2><BR>
WHERE:  North Water Street Gallery, 257 N. Water St., Kent<BR>
<BR>
CONTACT:  330-673-4970<BR>
<BR>
</H2><FONT SIZE=3D"5"><B>GALLERY HOURS:  Thursday-Saturday, 1-5pm </B></=
FONT><B>or by appointment<BR>
<BR>
Janet Snell Artist Statement<BR>
<BR>
My interest has long been in marrying the figurative with the abstract, exe=
mplified in the human figure, it=B9s psychological underpinnings, and its mood=
s.  First, I get an image in my head and then I develop the space in wh=
ich the image resides---there is a lot of improvising going on.  The sp=
ace is the abstract, thus the poetry between image and space.  I am ins=
pired by music sometimes.  I get an image in my head when I=B9m listening=
 to Jimi Hendrix, Tom Waits, U2, etc.  More than anything, I want the i=
mage to provoke thought in the viewer and myself.<BR>
<BR>
Janet Snell Biography<BR>
<BR>
I am a magna cum laude graduate of the Maryland Institute, College of Art (=
1976)<BR>
where I studied painting with the late abstract expressionist Edward Dugmor=
e.<BR>
I have been included in over 40 group and solo shows in New York City, Wash=
ington D.C., Baltimore, Cleveland, Akron and other cities.  I am the au=
thor of =B3Flytrap=B2 (Cleveland Poetry Center 1990)- a book of drawings and poe=
ms about the drawings, as well as an E-chapbook, =B3Heads=B2 (March Street Press=
 1998) which was also painting and verse.Another book of drawings with poems=
 written by my sister, =B3Prisoner=B9s Dilemma=B2, is forthcoming.<BR>
I have been published in many literary journals including, =B3Gargoyle=B2, =B3Was=
hington Review=B2, and =B3River Oak Review=B2.  I will also be in a group sho=
w, =B3Room with a View=B2, in James McCarthy=B9s Conference Room - starting Septem=
ber 1st and running to December 31st.<BR>
</B><H2><BR>
</H2><FONT SIZE=3D"4"><B>www.standingrock.net for updates<BR>
</B></FONT><H3><BR>
Thank you for supporting the Arts,<BR>
<BR>
</H3><FONT SIZE=3D"4"><B>Jeff Ingram/Executive Director<BR>
</B></FONT><H3>Standing Rock Cultural Arts<BR>
257 N. Water St.<BR>
Kent, OH 44240<BR>
330-673-4970<BR>
</H3><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><FONT SIZE=3D"4"><B><U>info at standingrock.net<BR>
</U></B></FONT></FONT></FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3204881036_139348_MIME_Part--