[NEohioPAL]Important notice for email users of AOL or CS

Joanne Popp w8inglong at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 25 08:32:06 PDT 2005

--0-2122055976-1122305526=:464

For several weeks I was having a problem with email delayed or returned undelivered to an individual AOL account. It wasn't until I sent a large mailing about our concert that I found all AOL and CompuServe accounts on my list rejected the email.  I contacted Hotmail which was the account I used to do the mailing and sent myself an email from my Hotmail account to my CompuServe account as a test. Mail to CompuServe was also undeliverable.

The following was the response I received from Hotmail:
AOL recently (it has been over a month now) made changes to their e-mail system to reduce spam sent to their customers; however, this change has had the unintended consequence of keeping certain legitimate e-mail messages from entering their systems. Additionally, AOL’s update also targets e-mail generated by PCs infected with viruses.

As MSN Hotmail Sympatico Mail continues to work with AOL on a solution, here are some steps you can take that may help resolve the issue in the meantime:

   Contact your network administrator or your Internet Service Provider (ISP) and ask that they contact AOL to ensure your ISP’s IP proxy address is on AOL’s safe list.
   Contact your anti-virus software manufacturer to ensure your virus data files are completely up to date. Then, run your virus scanning software to help ensure your PC is not infected.

I followed all the instructions and this morning ran another test mailing to all my accounts the IP region AOL blocked not only for AOL users but CompuServe users as well contains most of Hotmail, some parts of MSN mail and other domains in the Microsoft Network. The block is only one way.  Hotmail can receive from AOL and CompuServe but if you hit reply from an effected Hotmail or MSN account it will not go back.  Additionally AOL and CompuServe mail clients do receive other mail. Without specific notice by personal or phone contact there would be no way of knowing these IP addresses are blocked from your system.  If you depend on your email and primarily use AOL or CompuServe, you might consider using a different email account with another provider temporarily to ensure needed replies.

Joanne M. Popp
Adm. Assistant
Zion UCC of Tremont
http://www.zionchurch.org

Adm. Assistant,
Zion UCC of Tremont
http://zionchurch.org
Whosoever is everyone.

---------------------------------
--0-2122055976-1122305526=:464

<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>For several weeks I was having a problem with email delayed or returned undelivered to an individual AOL account. It wasn't until I sent a large mailing about our concert that I found all AOL and CompuServe accounts on my list rejected the email.  I contacted Hotmail which was the account I used to do the mailing and sent myself an email from my Hotmail account to my CompuServe account as a test. Mail to CompuServe was also undeliverable.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>The following was the response I received from Hotmail:</DIV>
<DIV class=INTRO id=INTRO style="DISPLAY: block"><STRONG>AOL recently</STRONG> (it has been over a month now) <STRONG>made changes to their e-mail system to reduce spam sent to their customers; however, this change has had the unintended consequence of keeping certain legitimate e-mail messages from entering their systems. Additionally, AOL’s update also targets e-mail generated by PCs infected with viruses.</STRONG> </DIV>
<DIV class=INTRO style="DISPLAY: block"><STRONG></STRONG> </DIV>
<DIV class=INTRO style="DISPLAY: block"><STRONG>As MSN Hotmail Sympatico Mail continues to work with AOL on a solution, here are some steps you can take that may help resolve the issue in the meantime:</STRONG></DIV>
<UL>
<LI><STRONG>Contact your network administrator or your Internet Service Provider (ISP) and ask that they contact AOL to ensure your ISP’s IP proxy address is on AOL’s safe list. </STRONG>
<LI><STRONG>Contact your anti-virus software manufacturer to ensure your virus data files are completely up to date. Then, run your virus scanning software to help ensure your PC is not infected. </STRONG></LI></UL>
<P>I followed all the instructions and this morning ran another test mailing to all my accounts the IP region AOL blocked not only for AOL users but CompuServe users as well contains most of Hotmail, some parts of MSN mail and other domains in the Microsoft Network. The block is only one way.  Hotmail can receive from AOL and CompuServe but if you hit reply from an effected Hotmail or MSN account it will not go back.  Additionally AOL and CompuServe mail clients <U>do</U> receive other mail. Without specific notice by personal or phone contact there would be no way of knowing these IP addresses are blocked from your system.  If you depend on your email and primarily use AOL or CompuServe, you might consider using a different email account with another provider temporarily to ensure needed replies.  </P>
<P>Joanne M. Popp<BR>Adm. Assistant<BR>Zion UCC of Tremont<BR><A href="http://www.zionchurch.org/">http://www.zionchurch.org</A></P></DIV></DIV></DIV><BR><BR><DIV>Adm. Assistant,<BR>Zion UCC of Tremont</DIV>
<DIV><A href="http://zionchurch.org">http://zionchurch.org</A></DIV>
<DIV>Whosoever is everyone.</DIV><p>
		<hr size=1> <a href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=34442/*http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs">Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home page </a>
--0-2122055976-1122305526=:464--