[NEohioPAL]Ruby Fox, Local Playwright, 80 Years Young & Headed to Off-Broadway

Wakeup4664 at aol.com Wakeup4664 at aol.com
Sun Jul 31 08:11:15 PDT 2005

--part1_fc.183c2091.301e4413_boundary

Contact:  Sue Johnson
(216) 561-8608
 wakeup4664 at aol.com

For Immediate Release
   Ruby Fox, Local Playwright, 80 Years Young & Headed to Off-Broadway

Robert "Ruby" Fox is having a big year.  He just celebrated his 80th birthday
with a huge surprise birthday party given by his wife, Donna, and his family,
where he saw his original one-act plays, Wednesdays with Hilda and Celibacy
Odyssey performed.   The WAKE UP And LIVE's Actors' Studio is dedicating its
2005-06 season of "PlayActs" to Ruby.  Now, Ruby and Celibacy Odyssey are headed
to the Big Apple, where Celibacy Odyssey, "a farcical fantasy romp," will be
performed off-Broadway at the Studio Theatre, September 17th.  Ruby is a
testimony to the concept that "success can come at any age."

But, before Odyssey goes to off-Broadway, Ruby hopes that Clevelanders will
come to see it, Saturday, August 6th, 7:00 P at Loganberry Books, 13015
Larchmere, where Forever Milly, another of his one-acts, will also be presented as
part of "PlayActs."  "PlayActs" will also showcase 2 short plays by Gary
Webster, Ruby's colleague, co-author of Harlem Blues and fellow
Playwright-in-Residence for the WAKE UP And LIVE's Actors' Studio. The audience will see Webster's
Is This How Frankie and Annette Got Started?, and We Want to be in Pictures .
. . Or on TV . . . Or  on Radio . . . Or . . .

The "PlayActs" evening of lighthearted entertainment also features Bob Segal,
jazz clarinetist and David Johnson with B.B. Dog, "jazz saxophonist."

Ruby's writing career began to form when he created a "Vaudeville" show and
other skits for the single parents group at the JCC in 1979.  In 1993, Ruby
took his first playwriting course with Bob Noll, another prominent local
playwright, at the Cleveland Playhouse.  He was hooked!  Eventually, Ruby responded to
an ad for WAKE UP And LIVE's Actors' Studio which called for playwrights to
submit their works.  He responded, and from there, a wonderful relationship was
begun and has grown into Ruby becoming one of the Actors' Studio's two
Playwrights-in-Residence.

The WAKE UP And LIVE's Actors' Studio has performed numerous plays by Ruby,
at many staged readings from Borders Books to Cuyahoga Community College.  This
prolific playwright has written both drama and comedy which reflect his deep
understanding of people, their foibles and triumphs.  Over the years, he has
written such diverse pieces as Wednesdays with Hilda which addresses race
relations and touches the heart with Jewish heritage and, Sophie's Legacy, which
takes an improbable look at "creative pregnancy."

Recently, Ruby and his work were the focus of the Actors' Studio TV program,
WAKE UP And LIVE with the ARTS where local actors read excerpts of his play,
Date Mates.  Ruby is also co-author, along with Gary Webster and Sue Johnson,
of Harlem Blues, a play about four female African-American actors in Harlem,
inspired by his imagination. Ruby also was part of the writing team for
Webster's My Big Fat Dysfunctional Office which was commissioned by the Ohio Education
Association earlier this year.

Currently, and for the past 6 years, Ruby has been leading a writers group
that meets the first and third Tuesday of every month at Borders Books at
Severance Mall. For more information about the writers' group, contact:
rubyfox3001 at aol.com

For "PlayActs" tickets, contact WAKE UP And LIVE's Actors' Studio, (216)
561-8608.

Admission:  $15.00 each
                  $25.00 for two  (Credit cards accepted. Min. $25.00)
Make checks payable & mail to:
WAKE UP And LIVE's Actors' Studio
P.O. Box 201524 . Shaker Heights, OH 44120
Attn:  Sue Johnson
(216) 561-8608  .   wakeup4664 at aol.com

http://carolirvin.com/wakeup.htm

--part1_fc.183c2091.301e4413_boundary

=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">Contact:  Sue Johnson<BR>
(216) 561-8608<BR>
 wakeup4664 at aol.com<BR>
<BR>
<P ALIGN=3DCENTER><B><U>For Immediate Release</U><BR>
</B>  <B> Ruby Fox, Local Playwright, 80 Years Young & Headed=20=
to Off-Broadway</B><BR>
<P ALIGN=3DLEFT><BR>
Robert "Ruby" Fox is having a big year.  He just celebrated his 80th bi=
rthday with a huge surprise birthday party given by his wife, Donna, and his=
 family, where he saw his original one-act plays, <I>Wednesdays with Hilda</=
I> and <I>Celibacy Odyssey</I> performed.   The <B>WAKE UP And LIV=
E's <I>Actors' Studio</B> </I>is dedicating its 2005-06 season of <B>"PlayAc=
ts"</B> to Ruby.  Now, Ruby and <I>Celibacy Odyssey </I>are headed to t=
he Big Apple, where <I>Celibacy Odyssey,</I> "a farcical fantasy romp," will=
 be performed off-Broadway at the Studio Theatre, September 17th.  Ruby=
 is a testimony to the concept that "success can come at any age."<BR>
<BR>
But, before <I>Odyssey </I>goes to off-Broadway, Ruby hopes that Clevelander=
s will come to see it, Saturday, August 6th, 7:00 P at Loganberry Books, 130=
15 Larchmere, where <I>Forever Milly</I>, another of his one-acts, will also=
 be presented as part of <B>"PlayActs." </B> <B>"PlayActs" </B>will als=
o showcase 2 short plays by Gary Webster, Ruby's colleague, co-author of <I>=
Harlem Blues</I> and fellow Playwright-in-Residence for the <B>WAKE UP And L=
IVE's <I>Actors' Studio.</B></I> The audience will see Webster's <I>Is This=20=
How Frankie and Annette Got Started?,</I> and <I>We Want to be in Pictures .=
 . . Or on TV . . . Or  on Radio . . . Or . . .</I><BR>
<BR>
The <B>"PlayActs" </B>evening of lighthearted entertainment also features Bo=
b Segal, jazz clarinetist and David Johnson with B.B. Dog, "jazz saxophonist=
."<BR>
<BR>
Ruby's writing career began to form when he created a "Vaudeville" show and=20=
other skits for the single parents group at the JCC in 1979.  In 1993,=20=
Ruby took his first playwriting course with Bob Noll, another prominent loca=
l playwright, at the Cleveland Playhouse.  He was hooked!  Eventua=
lly, Ruby responded to an ad for <B>WAKE UP And LIVE's <I>Actors' Studio</I>=
 </B>which called for playwrights to submit their works.  He responded,=
 and from there, a wonderful relationship was begun and has grown into Ruby=20=
becoming one of the <B><I>Actors' Studio's </B></I>two Playwrights-in-Reside=
nce. <BR>
<BR>
The <B>WAKE UP And LIVE's <I>Actors' Studio</B></I> has performed numerous p=
lays by Ruby, at many staged readings from Borders Books to Cuyahoga Communi=
ty College.  This prolific playwright has written both drama and comedy=
 which reflect his deep understanding of people, their foibles and triumphs.=
  Over the years, he has written such diverse pieces as <I>Wednesdays w=
ith Hilda </I>which addresses race relations and touches the heart with Jewi=
sh heritage and, <I>Sophie's Legacy,</I> which takes an improbable look at "=
creative pregnancy."  <BR>
<BR>
Recently, Ruby and his work were the focus of the <B><I>Actors' Studio </B><=
/I>TV program, <B><I>WAKE UP</I> <I>And LIVE with the ARTS</B></I> where loc=
al actors read excerpts of his play, <I>Date Mates. </I> Ruby is also c=
o-author, along with Gary Webster and Sue Johnson, of <I>Harlem Blues</I>, a=
 play about four female African-American actors in Harlem, inspired by his i=
magination. Ruby also was part of the writing team for Webster's <I>My Big F=
at Dysfunctional Office </I>which was commissioned by the Ohio Education Ass=
ociation earlier this year.<BR>
<BR>
Currently, and for the past 6 years, Ruby has been leading a writers group t=
hat meets the first and third Tuesday of every month at Borders Books at Sev=
erance Mall. For more information about the writers' group, contact:  r=
ubyfox3001 at aol.com<BR>
<BR>
For <B>"PlayActs"</B> tickets, contact <B>WAKE UP And LIVE's <I>Actors' Stud=
io</I>, (</B>216) 561-8608.<BR>
<BR>
Admission:  $15.00 each  <BR>
            &nbs=
p;     $25.00 for two  (Credit cards accepted. Min.=
 $25.00)<BR>
Make checks payable & mail to:<BR>
<B>WAKE UP And LIVE's <I>Actors' Studio</B></I><BR>
P.O. Box 201524 . Shaker Heights, OH 44120<BR>
Attn:  Sue Johnson    <BR>
(216) 561-8608  .   wakeup4664 at aol.com<BR>
<BR>
http://carolirvin.com/wakeup.htm<BR>