[NEohioPAL]Going Solo: Classes in solo performance begin this September!

Smorton8 at aol.com Smorton8 at aol.com
Thu Aug 4 17:50:33 PDT 2005

-------------------------------1123203033

GOING SOLO: WRITING FOR SOLO  PERFORMANCE
A new 8 -week session , taught by award-winning playwright Sarah Morton=20
begins September 24th!  =20

Do you have a story you've always wanted to tell?=20
         =20
Have you thought about writing a solo piece for yourself, or someone else,=20
but weren't sure how to get started?=20

Have you dreamed about having the stage ALL TO YOURSELF, even for a couple o=
f=20
minutes?  (Come on, admit it...)=20

Going Solo is an eight- week introduction to the art of writing for solo=20
performance. =20
In a small workshop setting, students will explore the basics of creating=20
solo work , through writing exercises, storytelling,  movement, and=20
improvisation.  Learn how to create dynamic, theatrical solo pieces and unco=
ver your own=20
unique voice as a writer/performer. All levels of experience are welcome. Fo=
r=20
the final class, students will perform from their solo works -in- progress,=20=
for=20
an invited audience.=20

Class meets on Saturdays from 2-4 pm. September 24th-November 12th.=20
at ORTHODOX, next to the Gordon Square Theatre, on the Cleveland Public=20
Theatre campus.=20

Investment: 150 dollars.
 * Sliding scale is available, for those with special circumstances. Please=20
contact the instructor for more information.=20
=20
To register or for more info, contact Sarah Morton at smorton8 at aol.com,
or call (216) 534-7543.=20

*Class size is limited. Please register early.=20

Comments from past Going Solo students: =20

 'Sarah Morton's Writing for Solo Performance Class is a superb blend of=20
writer's workshop, performance practicum, and spa for the writer's soul. We=20
actually WROTE, in class, and all week long. Then we PERFORMED, which inform=
ed our=20
writing. It worked, just like it was supposed to. Sarah is an enlightened=20
teacher. She is intelligent, very funny, serious, and gentle. I learned so m=
uch=20
about myself, writing, writing for the stage. I was able to write the piece=20=
that=20
has been inside my head for a long time, perform it, re-work it, then perfor=
m=20
it again. AMAZING! ' --- Lynnette Guttmann,  Cabaret performer and voice=20
teacher     =20

 'Anyone fascinated by the creative process will be right at home in Sarah=20
Morton's Going Solo class=E2=80=93 it's demanding ( requires devising, writi=
ng, and=20
performing one's work), and liberating ( is very playful and great fun) In o=
ther=20
words, Morton knows how to invite the Muse! '    =20
  -- Jo Gibson, adjunct faculty in English, CSU                            =20=
 =20
                                                                    =20
                                                              =20
'With Sarah Morton's coaching and direction, I developed, wrote, and=20
performed the stories that resided within me for almost forty years, awaitin=
g their=20
birth moment. '
                                                  -- Ubu=20
Zurub,writer/performer/comedienne

About the instructor:=20
Sarah Morton is a playwright, actor, educator, and activist, and a native of=
=20
Cleveland, Ohio=20
She recently performed her solo piece,  4 MINUTES TO HAPPY at the New York=20
International Fringe Festival and at Cleveland Public Theatre. Other recent=20
productions include  THREE WORDS with Great Lakes Theatre Festival (tour), =20=
NIGHT=20
BLOOMERS with Emerging Artists Theater in NYC, and COURAGE OF I, a series of=
=20
monologues created with the residents of the Elyria YWCA, and produced by=20
Cleveland Public Theatre.  Acting credits include Avery Bly in SIN ( Bad Epi=
taph=20
Theatre Company). Jane Sand in Deb Margolin's BRINGING THE FISHERMEN HOME (=20
Cleveland Public Theatre) Dancer in THE EIGHT ( CPT), and her solo piece THE=
=20
EIGHTH WONDER OF THE WORLD, ( Dobama Theatre) which earned her a SCENE award=
 for=20
Best Solo Performance.  She has been an artist in residence at Cleveland Sta=
te=20
University, Cleveland School of the Arts, Shaker Heights High School, and=20
Hathaway Brown School, and served on the education staff at Cleveland Public=
=20
Theatre, where she taught Writing for Solo Performance for beginning and adv=
anced=20
students.  For the past six years, she has also been teaching and designing=20
curriculum for The Cleveland Play House's  highly regarded  Young Playwright=
s=20
Workshop, a program for gifted high school writers.  Her play NIGHT BLOOMERS=
 will=20
receive its world premiere at The Cleveland Play House's new work festival,=20
Fusion Fest, in May of 2006.=20

=20
                                                                           =20=
 =20
                             =20

-------------------------------1123203033

<HTML><HEAD>
<META charset=3DUTF-8 http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charse=
t=3DUTF-8">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2900.2668" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
f">
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT lang=3D0 face=3DArial size=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" PTSIZE=3D"10"=
>GOING SOLO: WRITING FOR SOLO  PERFORMANCE<BR>A new 8 -week session , t=
aught by award-winning playwright Sarah Morton <BR>begins September 24th! &n=
bsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT lang=3D0 face=3DArial size=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" PTSIZE=3D"10"=
>Do you have a story you've always wanted to tell? <BR>   &nb=
sp;      <BR>Have you thought about writing a=20=
solo piece for yourself, or someone else, <BR>but weren't sure how to get st=
arted? </FONT></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT lang=3D0 face=3DArial size=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" PTSIZE=3D"10"=
>Have you dreamed about having the stage ALL TO YOURSELF, even for a couple=20=
of minutes?  (Come on, admit it...) </FONT></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT lang=3D0 face=3DArial size=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" PTSIZE=3D"10"=
>Going Solo is an eight- week introduction to the art of writing for solo pe=
rformance.  <BR>In a small workshop setting, students will explore the=20=
basics of creating solo work , through writing exercises, storytelling,=
  movement, and improvisation.  Learn how to create dynamic, theat=
rical solo pieces and uncover your own unique voice as a writer/performer. A=
ll levels of experience are welcome. For the final class, students will perf=
orm from their solo works -in- progress, for an invited audience. </FONT></D=

<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT lang=3D0 face=3DArial size=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" PTSIZE=3D"10"=
>Class meets on Saturdays from 2-4 pm. September 24th-November 12th. <BR>at=20=
ORTHODOX, next to the Gordon Square Theatre, on the Cleveland Public Theatre=
 campus. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT lang=3D0 face=3DArial size=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" PTSIZE=3D"10"=
>Investment: 150 dollars.<BR> * Sliding scale is available, for those w=
ith special circumstances. Please contact the instructor for more informatio=
n. <BR> <BR>To register or for more info, contact Sarah Morton at <A hr=
ef=3D"mailto:smorton8 at aol.com">smorton8 at aol.com</A>,<BR>or call (216) 534-75=
43. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT lang=3D0 face=3DArial size=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" PTSIZE=3D"10"=
>*Class size is limited. Please register early. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT lang=3D0 face=3DArial size=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" PTSIZE=3D"10"=
>Comments from past Going Solo students:  </FONT></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT lang=3D0 face=3DArial size=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" PTSIZE=3D"10"=
> 'Sarah Morton's Writing for Solo Performance Class is a superb blend=20=
of writer's workshop, performance practicum, and spa for the writer's soul.=20=
We actually WROTE, in class, and all week long. Then we PERFORMED, which inf=
ormed our writing. It worked, just like it was supposed to. Sarah is an enli=
ghtened teacher. She is intelligent, very funny, serious, and gentle. I lear=
ned so much about myself, writing, writing for the stage. I was able to writ=
e the piece that has been inside my head for a long time, perform it, re-wor=
k it, then perform it again. AMAZING! ' --- Lynnette Guttmann,  Ca=
baret performer and voice teacher      </FONT></DIV=

<DIV><FONT lang=3D0 face=3DArial size=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" PTSIZE=3D"10"=
></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT lang=3D0 face=3DArial size=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" PTSIZE=3D"10"=
> 'Anyone fascinated by the creative process will be right at home in S=
arah Morton's Going Solo class=E2=80=93 it's demanding ( requires devising,=20=
writing, and performing one's work), and liberating ( is very playful and gr=
eat fun) In other words, Morton knows how to invite the Muse! '   =
  </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT lang=3D0 face=3DArial size=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" PTSIZE=3D"10"=
>  -- Jo Gibson, adjunct faculty in English, CSU </FONT><FONT=
 lang=3D0 face=3DArial size=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" PTSIZE=3D"10"> &nb=
sp;            &=
nbsp;           &nbsp=
;            &nb=
sp;            &=
nbsp;           &nbsp=
;            &nb=
sp;            &=
nbsp;        <BR>   &=
nbsp;           &nbsp=
;            &nb=
sp;            &=
nbsp;           &nbsp=
;         <BR>'With Sarah Morton's c=
oaching and direction, I developed, wrote, and performed the stories that re=
sided within me for almost forty years, awaiting their birth moment. '<BR>&n=
bsp;            =
            &nbs=
p;            &n=
bsp;           -- Ubu=
 Zurub,writer/performer/comedienne</FONT></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT lang=3D0 face=3DArial size=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" PTSIZE=3D"10"=
>About the instructor: <BR>Sarah Morton is a playwright, actor, educator, an=
d activist, and a native of Cleveland, Ohio <BR>She recently performed her s=
olo piece,  4 MINUTES TO HAPPY at the New York International Fringe Fes=
tival and at Cleveland Public Theatre. Other recent productions include&nbsp=
; THREE WORDS with Great Lakes Theatre Festival (tour),  NIGHT BLOOMERS=
 with Emerging Artists Theater in NYC, and COURAGE OF I, a series of monolog=
ues created with the residents of the Elyria YWCA, and produced by Cleveland=
 Public Theatre.  Acting credits include Avery Bly in SIN ( Bad Epitaph=
 Theatre Company). Jane Sand in Deb Margolin's BRINGING THE FISHERMEN HOME (=
 Cleveland Public Theatre) Dancer in THE EIGHT ( CPT), and her solo piece TH=
E EIGHTH WONDER OF THE WORLD, ( Dobama Theatre) which earned her a SCENE awa=
rd for Best Solo Performance.  She has been an artist in residence at C=
leveland State University, Cleveland School of the Arts, Shaker Heights High=
 School, and Hathaway Brown School, and served on the education staff at Cle=
veland Public Theatre, where she taught Writing for Solo Performance for beg=
inning and advanced students.  For the past six years, she has also bee=
n teaching and designing curriculum for The Cleveland Play House's  hig=
hly regarded  Young Playwrights Workshop, a program for gifted high sch=
ool writers.  Her play NIGHT BLOOMERS will receive its world premiere a=
t The Cleveland Play House's new work festival, Fusion Fest, in May of 2006.=
 </FONT></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT lang=3D0 face=3DArial size=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" PTSIZE=3D"10"=
> <BR>           &nbs=
p;            &n=
bsp;            =
            &nbs=
p;            &n=
bsp;            =
            &nbs=
p;            &n=
bsp;       <BR></DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>