[NEohioPAL]August Wilson

DALE SHIELDS ricardo2541 at msn.com
Sat Aug 27 13:24:36 PDT 2005

Renowned playwright has liver cancer

August Wilson: 'I've lived a blessed life'

Friday, August 26, 2005; Posted: 10:44 a.m. EDT (14:44 GMT)
SEATTLE, Washington (AP) -- Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright August Wilson
has been diagnosed with liver cancer and told a newspaper in his native
Pittsburgh that he is dying.

Wilson, 60, who lives in Seattle, was diagnosed with the ailment in June.

"It's not like poker, you can't throw your hand in," Wilson told the
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette in a story published Friday. "I've lived a blessed
life. I'm ready."

Wilson has recently been completing his 10-play cycle chronicling the black
experience in 20th-century America -- one play for each decade.

Two plays in the cycle, "Fences" and "The Piano Lesson," earned Pulitzer
Prizes. The 10th play, "Radio Golf," is now running at the Mark Taper Forum
in Los Angeles.

Wilson's personal assistant, Deanna Levitin, told The Seattle Times until
very recently, Wilson was working on rewrites of "Radio Golf," and that
people close to him remain optimistic.

"One of the things I'm proudest of in my career is producing so much of
August's work here," Seattle Repertory Theater managing director Benjamin
Moore said. "I'm going to believe that since August is such a feisty guy,
he'll meet this health challenge like he's met the challenge of writing an
extraordinary cultural history."

Wilson has lived in Seattle's Capitol Hill neighborhood since 1990. He and
his wife, Constant Romero, a costume designer he married in 1994, have a
daughter, Azula. Wilson also has a daughter from an earlier marriage.

"He's taking (the cancer) very well, with a lot of strength and
determination," his wife told the Seattle Post-Intelligencer. "It's so hard
when an illness falls on you. He has so many plans for working."

The Pittsburgh newspaper said doctors had recommended drug therapy followed
by a liver transplant, but the disease proved too far advanced. Wilson said
his physicians told him then that he had three to five months to live.

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may
not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

	|	|

Dale Ricardo Shields
ricardo2541 at msn.com

"There are no wrong notes." --Thelonius Monk