[NEohioPAL]From Mike Kraft regarding Gary Rainer's union position

Helene & Ray Tomecko raytom at en.com
Thu Sep 22 05:20:45 PDT 2005

*Mike Kraft asked me to post this on his behalf in that he
 is currently unsubscribed from the list. -Helene

Financial Core: A response to Gary Rainer
=20
Dear Gary:
=20
First, I am an AFTRA board member, and a 24-year member of AFTRA and 17-yea=
member of SAG, and I can be fairly characterized as a =B3Die-Hard=B2 Union
proponent.=20
=20
However, I must point out to readers that you have been working the opposit=
side of the fence, as you point out in your message; =B3I used to work in LA
as a talent agent and manager=B2. It was certainly in your best interest to
encourage your clients to go Fi-Core, as you could then reap the commission
on those non-union jobs (which, as you know, can be commissioned at a much
higher rate than the 10% union rate).
=20
To respond briefly to your message, I would like to mention that the
=B3events=B2 and other perks of union membership are not the reason we are
members of a union. We are members because we ARE the union. We are a body
of people with like interests who join together for the common good of the
group. Individually, there is no strength, no voice, no bargaining power.
Together, we work for what is fair and just.
=20
We don=B9t join the union for what we can get, we join the union for what we
can give.
=20
The right to work on ALL jobs, union and non-union is merely a right to wor=
for less than you deserve. Don=B9t be fooled; the rates in this and ALL other
regional markets are based on the standard set by the union. Let the union
fall and everyone will be scratching for scraps.
=20
You say there are =B3a lot of nonunion films and commercials=B2. I agree.
Therefore, if you do not want to be part of the union, be non-union and go
get those jobs.
=20
I realize there is less union work in this area now than in past years.
Therefore, this is the most important time for the union to not only remain
strong, but to become stronger.
=20
I am proactive in my career by being a diehard union actor. It is the only
way to ensure that I will still be a professional actor until my retirement=
.
In these times, it seems like a no-brainer to me.
=20
If you are interested in knowing more about Financial Core, go to the neopa=
forum at yahoo.com and check the FILES under =B3Thinking About Financial
Core.=B2 I shall also post a following message to this site titled, =B3The Core
Issue.=B2 Or contact me directly at mikekraft at wideopenwest.com.
=20
=20
Sincerely,