[NEohioPAL]"The Late Henry Moss" - WOW!

Pommy Pommy at neo.rr.com
Sun Oct 23 04:12:18 PDT 2005

Unfortunately, it's too late for those who didn't know about this fabulous
piece of theater to be able to see it, as today is the last
performance.  But be sure to see whatever The Bang and the Clatter decides
to do next, because this was an unbelievable theater experience.

Intense is the word that springs to mind and, like the critics have said,
being in such proximity to the realistic action makes it something you
cringe from.  And yet this Sam Shepard play has moments of real humor.  I
think everyone was so ready to laugh as a relief from the tension of the
situation that these moments probably got more laughter than they deserved!

The subject matter, of course, is nothing to laugh about.  It's about an
abusive drunk and how his miserable actions and character still haunt the
two children he fathered, many years later.  However, one can't help but
watch in fascination as the story unfolds - thanks to the wonderful acting
talents of one of the most talented group of actors I've ever
seen.  Without them I don't think I would have liked this play.  It's not
my kind of play.  I like comedy; lighthearted stuff.  Not the stuff
nightmares are made of, like this.

It's hard to choose anyone who stood out because they were all so
good.  Sean Derry, Mark Mayo, and Jim Viront as the two sons and the
father, respectively, turned in amazing performances - keeping the audience
on the edge of their seats.  But the secondary characters played by Tina
Thompkins, Tom Barnes, and David LeMoyne were also excellent and added so
much to the success of this venture.  I've rarely seen such a well chosen
cast.  So congratulations, Sean McConaha and Sean Derry on your vision of
theater as it should be.  I can't wait to see your next offering.

--Linda Ryan