[NEohioPAL]NEWFANGLED NEWS - November 2005

Newfangled Productions newfangled02 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 7 05:44:42 PST 2005

Contents:
1. Message from the Artistic Director
2. CONTINUING THIS MONTH – Newfangled Leaf Tour 2005
3. COMING UP – Dear Steve
4. Newfangled looking for new proposals
5. Newfangled looking for young playwrights
6. Newfangled community
7. Contact info

1. Message from the Artistic Director

Hello!

Oliver here. The last couple of weeks have been filled
with rapturous leaf raking joy. Plus, we’ve received a
nice batch of letters for Steve Lynch. We still need
more, though. If you haven’t written yours yet, take a
few minutes right now before you get back to what you
were doing. A few minutes of your time could bring so
much joy to Steve. In this newsletter you’ll find the
instructions repeated if you need to refresh your
memory.

Also, keep Jamie and Justin Hale in your thoughts. The
stork could be visiting any day now!

Yours,
Oliver Corrigan
Artistic Director

2. CONTINUING THIS MONTH – Newfangled Leaf Tour 2005

There is an enemy out there. A dangerous foe. And
Newfangled Productions is there to defeat it!

The Newfangled Board of Trustees (plus a few extra
Newfangled friends) are preparing themselves to brave
the elements yet again to make the lawns of
northeastern Ohio a leaf-free place for a low, low
price.

For the Newfangled price of $25 the board will come to
your house and rake your leaves.

Please call Catherine Loya at (330)671-7123 or email
newfangled02 at yahoo.com for more information and to set
up an appointment.

Remember: You’re not only helping support our numerous
programs but you’re protecting our way of life!

3. COMING UP – Dear Steve

Dear friends,

Please join Newfangled Productions in a very special
project.

Some of you may know our friend Steve Lynch. Some of
you may not. But either way, please take a moment to
read his story:

Steve Lynch is as 23 year old native of Bainbridge,
Ohio and graduate of Ohio State University. He was a
very active member of Newfangled Productions in our
first three years - in fact, he was there right at the
beginning singing and playing at our very first event
- The First Starving Artists’ Ball.

A year ago Steve left his home, his friends and his
family to join the Peace Corps. He is currently
stationed in Turkmenistan, a former soviet country in
central Asia. He has dedicated two years of his life
to service and hardship.

Many of us talk about working for peace from the
comfort of our homes, but Steve has made a great
sacrifice - leaving everything he has ever known to
travel to a country where the people are impoverished,
where electricity and hot water are considered
luxuries and where the “president for life” squanders
what little his people have on self-glorification and
statues in his honor.

There must be many days when Steve feels alone and
forgotten, but we have not forgotten him. He is far
from home but he is never far from our hearts. And
with that in mind, please help us to create a very
special gift for Steve.

Our intention is to create a book of letters from as
many people as we can to send to Steve for Christmas.
We hope to collect letters from those of you who know
Steve and from those of you who do not, but are still
touched by his story. If you are his friend, now is
the time to remind him, to tell him how much you miss
him and how proud you are of him. If you’ve never met
him, now is the chance to introduce yourself, to thank
him for proving that in a world that sometimes seems
full of selfishness and violence that there are people
like him working for peace and humility.

Please email your letter to newfangled02 at yahoo.com by
December 1st with the following information:

Your name
Where you live
You occupation or some other one-line distinctive
description of yourself

Example:

Dear Steve,
Thank you so much for all that you are doing. You are
an example to us all.

Johnny Newfangled
Akron, Ohio
Sprocket salesman for “Newfangled Sprocket Company”

Your letter can be as short or as long as you would
like - a couple of sentences or a full-length letter.
It is up to you. But what’s important is that you say
something - that we can show in a small way that no
matter how far away Steve is he is never alone.

Also, please provide us with a way to contact you,
whether through email, phone or a mailing address (all
three would be preferable). Once the letters are
collected and the book is produced we would love to
make copies available for all of you - so we can all
share in the celebration of this remarkable person.

Finally, think of this book as a “surprise party.” It
is so much more fun if Steve doesn’t know about this
until he receives the book. We encourage you to make
copies of this letter, to send it to your friends,
family and coworkers - to post it on mailing lists and
on coffee shop bulletin boards, but if you post it on
the internet, try not to post it someplace where Steve
is likely to see it. (Steve has limited internet
access through the Peace Corps to communicate with
home and to post letters.)

If you have any questions, comments or want to help in
any additional way please feel free to email us at
newfangled02 at yahoo.com or call (330)620-9686.

Yours,

Oliver Corrigan
Artistic Director
Newfangled Productions
(330)620-9686
newfangled02 at yahoo.com
http://www.geocities.com/newfangledwebsite

P.S. To read about Steve’s experiences in his own
words please read http://goodprovider.diaryland.com.

P.P.S. To learn more about the Peace Corps read
http://www.peacecorps.gov.

P.P.P.S. To learn more about Turkmenistan start with
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkmenistan.

4. Newfangled looking for new proposals

We are very excited about the projects we have lined
up for this year, but we are still looking for new
proposals. Interested in directing a play, playing a
concert, dancing, painting, poetry, anything? The
sky’s the limit. Please contact Artistic Director
Oliver Corrigan at 330-620-9686.

5. Newfangled looking for young playwrights

For the past two years Newfangled Productions has
produced workshop performances of the plays of young
people through our “Under Construction” program [Bums:
A Musical (2004) and Don’t Step on my Anthill & Old
George (2005)]. Are you or someone you know a
playwright under 21 years old? Please contact Artistic
Director Oliver Corrigan at 330-620-9686 and your play
could be the one chosen this year.

6. Newfangled community

* Congratulations to board member Nathan Ruggles on
his swizzy new job. He will be leaving us for
Cincinnati in a few weeks. Good luck, Nathan! You’ll
be missed.

* Happy birthday this month to former board member
Cara Kay and current board vice president Brian
Richeson.

7. Contact info

Newfangled Productions
535 E Cuyahoga Falls Ave #3