Re:   [NEohioPAL]PD Friday drops Theatre listings!

LissyGulick at aol.com LissyGulick at aol.com
Mon Nov 14 07:30:47 PST 2005

--part1_21d.2b1e560.30aa07a7_boundary

Thanks, Michael -- and at least it got attention for the new magazine. Or as=
=20
G.B. Shaw said, "there is no such thing aas bad publicity!"
Best, Lissy Gulick

In a message dated 11/14/05 10:28:31 AM, MNORMAN at plaind.com writes:

> [...]
> photos. Even with the best publicists working on a show, and the best=20
> photos, how
> can we attract audiences when the paper will not print our basic informati=
on=20
> and
> promote theater in this town. This decision comes from the top, I am sure.=
> know Tony's space is limited by his editors. If the theatre is to survive=20=
in
> Cleveland, our only major newspaper must help inform the public.
>=20
> Please start a letter writing campaign to reverse this terrible policy!!!
> Those listings were crucial to letting potential audience members know wha=
t=20
> was
> playing, where, when, and how to buy tickets, etc. Printing free listings=20
> and
> audition notices (also missing) is the least they can offer to theatres th=
at
> cannot afford the PD's expensive ad space. Start at the top and email=20
> letters to
> the editor at letters at plaind.com
>=20
> It is just not fair to the wonderful theatre artists working so hard in th=
is
> community not to have some visability. And it is not fair to assume
> Clevelanders are not interested in anything besides movies, comedy, and ro=
ck=20
> concerts!
> Kick and Scream!!!!
> Love to you all!
> Sarah May
>=20
> ______________________________________
> Disney's "BEAUTY AND THE BEAST" at Beck Center 12/2-12/31. 216-521-2540.=20
> http://www.fredsternfeld.com/beautyandthebeast.htm
> _______________________________________
> There is a sister site to this list called the "NEoPAL Bulletin Board."=20
> Occasionally when "hot-button" discussions go on more than a day or two, t=
he=20
> bulletin board is used. The Neopal bulletin board also has some other terr=
ific=20
> features, like a searchable database for you to put your personal informat=
ion,=20
> a place to post pictures and a chat room with a nightly 11pm gathering to=20
> discuss hot topics: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/neopal/
> _______________________________________
> Disclaimer: The facts and/or opinions expressed in this message are solely=
=20
> those of the person in the "from" or "reply-to" header. The fact that this=
=20
> message is posted should in no way be taken as an endorsement by the=20
> administrator of this list. Subscribers should perform due diligence for a=
ll goods,=20
> services and activities promoted on NEohioPAL.

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><HTML><BODY BGCOLOR=3D"#FFFF80"><FONT COL=
OR=3D"#000000" FACE=3D"Georgia" LANG=3D"0" SIZE=3D"3">Thanks, Michael -- and=
 at least it got attention for the new magazine. Or as G.B. Shaw said, "ther=
e is no such thing aas bad publicity!"<BR>
Best, Lissy Gulick<BR>
<BR>
In a message dated 11/14/05 10:28:31 AM, MNORMAN at plaind.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE CITE STYLE=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px;=20=
MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px" TYPE=3D"CITE"></FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#0=
00000" FACE=3D"Georgia" LANG=3D"0" SIZE=3D"3">Hello Everyone - Michael Norma=
n here. I'm the Arts Editor of the Plain Dealer. Just wanted to let you know=
 that the theater listings were accidentally omitted from the new Friday mag=
azine because of a production error. This, of course, did not make us happy,=
 as we wanted the new magazine to have a perfect rollout. Think of it as a p=
review in which one of the stage lights falls and destroys a portion of the=20=
set. :-) Hopefully, we'll get better as the run progresses.<BR>
<BR>
The new magazine will, in fact, have more space devoted to coverage of the F=
ine Arts, and theater in particular. We have started a new theater column in=
 the magazine that will be written weekly by Plain Dealer Theater Critic Ton=
y Brown. Arts Reporter Carolyn Jack will also be doing a weekly column of Cr=
itic's Choice picks in the magazine, which, of course, will frequenly concen=
trate on theater. She's also doing a separate Family and the Arts column in=20=
the new Family section at the back of the magazine, which will give all of t=
he arts groups doing children's programming another shot at coverage.<BR>
<BR>
The Fine Arts listings in the magazine will be at least a page each week, so=
metimes more as space allows. These are will "curated" lists in the magazine=
, with Friday Mag/Fine Arts Editor John Kappes, making selections each week=20=
for what gets printed. We will continue to prepare much larger listings that=
 will be published online at cleveland.com.<BR>
<BR>
We did make a difficult decision to stop publishing the Audition listings in=
 the Plain Dealer. However, we will continue to put those together and will=20=
display them online at cleveland.com. Hope that answers your questions. And=20=
thanks for reading. Please feel free to email or call me if you have any oth=
er questions or concerns. 216-999-4109.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Michael Norman<BR>
Arts & Entertainment Editor<BR>
The Plain Dealer<BR>
1801 Superior Ave.<BR>
Cleveland OH 44114<BR>
Phone: 216-999-4109<BR>
Mobile: 330-416-7968<BR>
Fax: 216-999-6269<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
>>> <Maysie929 at aol.com> 11/11/05 08:50PM >>><BR>
Help!<BR>
The Plain Dealer=A0 rolled out their new Friday magazine format today. Guess=
<BR>
what? There were a few theatre offerings promoted, but no listings. Anyone w=
ho<BR>
might want to attend a play must now go online to see what is playing. This<=

will not do!!!<BR>
<BR>
In the past few years we have seen less and less coverage for local theaters=
;<BR>
almost no preview articles except for=A0 professional offerings, and few<BR>
photos. Even with the best publicists working on a show, and the best photos=
, how<BR>
can we attract audiences when the paper will not print our basic information=
 and<BR>
promote theater in this town. This decision comes from the top, I am sure. I=
<BR>
know Tony's space is limited by his editors. If the theatre is to survive in=
<BR>
Cleveland, our only major newspaper must help inform the public.<BR>
<BR>
Please start a letter writing campaign to reverse this terrible policy!!!<BR=

Those listings were crucial to letting potential audience members know what=20=
was<BR>
playing, where, when, and how to buy tickets, etc. Printing free listings an=
d<BR>
audition notices (also missing) is the least they can offer to theatres that=
<BR>
cannot afford the PD's expensive ad space. Start at the top and email letter=
s to<BR>
the editor at letters at plaind.com<BR>
<BR>
It is just not fair to the wonderful theatre artists working so hard in this=
<BR>
community not to have some visability. And it is not fair to assume<BR>
Clevelanders are not interested in anything besides movies, comedy, and rock=
 concerts!<BR>
Kick and Scream!!!!<BR>
Love to you all!<BR>
Sarah May<BR>
<BR>
Disney's "BEAUTY AND THE BEAST" at Beck Center 12/2-12/31. 216-521-2540. htt=
p://www.fredsternfeld.com/beautyandthebeast.htm<BR>