[NEohioPAL]The Plain Dealer

Christopher Fortunato judgehand2003a at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 20 18:51:12 PST 2005

--0-120037077-1132541472=:33952

I understand that a loss of audition notices in the Plain Dealer is quite distressing to the community.  Nonetheless, the Plain Dealer reportage has declined in recent years.  The Sunday paper used to contain articles on stamps, coins and the like.  There used to be a larger book section and magazine, too.  Over the years, the PD has dropped these segments of their paper for more money making segments.  True, there is an increased and improved segment on classified and job ads, but those sections bring in money to the paper.  Big money.

  BTW, Tony Brown and his fellow journalists may be in sympathy with you being Newspaper Guild members.  Their union is always at loggerheads with the PD.  But they can't say so in public.

  If you look at the trade papers, you can see that newspapers are losing circulation and, as a result, advertising revenue.  The San Francisco Chronicle recently lost 16% of its readership recently.  (Check the articles at HughHewitt.com.)

  Don't forget that the Plain Dealer endorsed the losing candidate for Mayor in Cleveland.  What it probably failed to realize is that most persons living in Cleveland proper do not read the PD except for the sports section.

  I generally get my news from other sources than mainstream media including newsmax.com, nytimes.com (the only elite media source) steynonline.com, telegraph.co.uk,  hughhewitt.com and the redoubtable Fox News.

  Last week, Hugh Hewitt (WHK 1420), an excellent radio talk show host whom I listen to and call into regularly, had a one hour segment on his show depicting the loss of newspaper readership.  He showed from call-ins that students 25 and younger do not even read newspapers, but get their news from blogs, websites, radio and television.

  So, I would not lament the end of the Friday news audition notices.  Frankly, I have not reviewed them much relying on Fred's site instead.

  Sincerely,

  Christopher Fortunato

--0-120037077-1132541472=:33952

<DIV id=RTEContent>I understand that a loss of audition notices in the Plain Dealer is quite distressing to the community.  Nonetheless, the Plain Dealer reportage has declined in recent years.  The Sunday paper used to contain articles on stamps, coins and the like.  There used to be a larger book section and magazine, too.  Over the years, the PD has dropped these segments of their paper for more money making segments.  True, there is an increased and improved segment on classified and job ads, but those sections bring in money to the paper.  Big money.</DIV>  <DIV> </DIV>  <DIV>BTW, Tony Brown and his fellow journalists may be in sympathy with you being Newspaper Guild members.  Their union is always at loggerheads with the PD.  But they can't say so in public.</DIV>  <DIV> </DIV>  <DIV>If you look at the trade papers, you can see that newspapers are losing circulation and, as a result, advertising revenue.  The San Francisco
 Chronicle recently lost 16% of its readership recently.  (Check the articles at HughHewitt.com.)</DIV>  <DIV> </DIV>  <DIV>Don't forget that the Plain Dealer endorsed the losing candidate for Mayor in Cleveland.  What it probably failed to realize is that most persons living in Cleveland proper do not read the PD except for the sports section.</DIV>  <DIV> </DIV>  <DIV>I generally get my news from other sources than mainstream media including newsmax.com, nytimes.com (the only elite media source) steynonline.com, telegraph.co.uk,  hughhewitt.com and the redoubtable Fox News.</DIV>  <DIV> </DIV>  <DIV>Last week, Hugh Hewitt (WHK 1420), an excellent radio talk show host whom I listen to and call into regularly, had a one hour segment on his show depicting the loss of newspaper readership.  He showed from call-ins that students 25 and younger do not even read newspapers, but get their news from blogs, websites, radio and television.</DIV>
 <DIV> </DIV>  <DIV>So, I would not lament the end of the Friday news audition notices.  Frankly, I have not reviewed them much relying on Fred's site instead.</DIV>  <DIV> </DIV>  <DIV>Sincerely,</DIV>  <DIV> </DIV>  <DIV>Christopher Fortunato</DIV><p>
		<hr size=1> <a href="http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylc=X3oDMTFqODRtdXQ4BF9TAzMyOTc1MDIEX3MDOTY2ODgxNjkEcG9zAzEEc2VjA21haWwtZm9vdGVyBHNsawNmYw--/SIG=110oav78o/**http%3a//farechase.yahoo.com/">Yahoo! FareChase - Search multiple travel sites in one click.</a>

--0-120037077-1132541472=:33952--