[NEohioPAL]Indie Filmmaking - re: Christopher and Bill Van Nostran

Bill cinevid at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 25 10:32:45 PST 2005

--0-1474271259-1132943565=:97988

--0-2081382362-1132943565=:97988

Christopher K. Young and Bill Van Nostran,

  Hey guys, good input, however the very things that you mention, (that a lot of people mention) have been tried before, without success sad to say.

  Bill, there is actually a screenwriting group that meets once a month at CSU called, Second Shift Screenwriters and they post here and at clevelandfilmmaking at yahoogroups.com. I'm not sure if they are critiquing their work or creating a master work or what. I want to attend but haven't as of yet. You can contact Christine for more info: christinednfr at yahoo.com

  Also, Bill and Chris, way back when The Film Society sponsored Cleveland Filmmakers, I suggested that we pool our talents. All writers submit their scripts, all shooters submit their reels, all directors, well you get the idea. Then the whole group would vote on the best of the best, hone it down to even better, then approach the city, businesses, etc. to get it financed and produced.

  Well, either no one felt confident enough about their own work, or they didn't want their doubts exposed to an open forum, or they were just too busy, but the idea got a lot of kudos and praise, but very quickly fell into oblivion. Eventually the entire group was disbanded, probably for lack of involvement. Then along came another organization that held great promise; a creative alliance of artists that would be a force to be reckoned with, that too failed. I even tried to give an intensive two day seminar on DV Filmmaking to help raise the quality bar. I got one attendee, thanks Christine!

  Chris, you mentioned that there are lots of people who want to work on other people's films and if you mean actors, sure, that only makes sense, but there aren't that many aspiring boom operators who's goal in life is to carry the crossarm of the indominable soundman. Even all the people who eagerly wanted to work on my feature, Madness have other aspirations besides crew work. And you're right they came to me, based on the quality of my previous works (thanks for your part in those successes by the way). However, I really hate using people for any great length of time for no-pay, so I kept the crew very small and they were and are very committed.

  I guess what I'm trying to articulate is we don't need a Film Czar or Commissioner for the indie film scene. It pretty much takes care of itself. If you are willing to really take the time and make your work stand out for quality in all areas, the community of actors, crew, businesses and local governments, will respond and support your efforts. I had cast and crew come for a full time, two week long shoot, for no pay, from as far away as Canton, Youngstown, and North Olmsted, to shoot in a million dollar house that didn't charge us a thing, all because they believed the experience would be worth it.

My biggest gripe is that in so many productions quality gets shoved to the bottom of the list and I walk into a landscape of burning bridges trying to find the few resources who haven't been burned or are willing to take a chance on one more independent film.

  As far as Cleveland Indieclub goes, we do network, but critiquing is forbidden. Attendance would drop to nothing if everyone worried their work wasn't good enough to please fellow filmmakers. One can only hope that as they see better work, they will incorporate that effort and ethic into their own projects.

  Thanks Fred for allowing this diatribe. I hope it gives the whole list some insight into the minds of indie filmmakers...

  For those actors interested in some guidelines when auditioning for Independent Film projects here are some tips:
  http://www.cinevidproductions.com/seminars/resources/AuditionTips.htm

  Thanks,
  Bill Johns
  www.cinevidproductions.com