[NEohioPAL]Cleveland IndieClub

Frank Mixson Frank at Time-LineProductions.com
Fri Nov 25 14:42:48 PST 2005

--0-2018859710-1132958568=:45004

Wow..  Christine you're very fortunate.  Congratulations..   Due to transportation problems, I have not been able to attend the mtgs regularly, heck, I've even suspended the taping of the show I produce, until I get in that in  order..   But one thing I've noticed is some clique'y'ness in the community..   Some people seem to not have any problems getting some help with their projects but others.. like myself.. cannot get any responses when I have asked for help.. I've done so several times at the meetings..  I've shown a music video, documentary trailers, and some of you might have even seen the tv show I produce.  I've always gotten good feedback on my work, even as I continue to study and learn the tools and techniques for this craft, but do I ever get any help from the club members?  One actor has shown up regularly to help out... and trust I appreciate his help a lot.

Now I know someone will say that you should volunteer to help others, first. I have answered some calls on this list and there was no  follow up from the originator of the posting, or just one, in one case.  I attributed it to the fact that they were already in production, and that I'm sure it was kinda crazy at that time.   I told others who I knew were doing things that if they needed my help to let me know..    I know how that goes.. I learned much volunteering  on the set of movies I was acting in and that I would show up for and lend my time to on days I wasn't the scene.  From finding and providing locations, to telephone calls for scheduling cast, to camera work, etc, believe me, I've paid my dues, and I continue to (I can name names and movies if you think I'm making this up). I've done PA work on some movies that I've had no part in, as well.

I sometimes have heard negative gossip about filmmakers or someone else in the community at some of our events..  I try real hard not to pass along negative gossip..  But I've seen someone walk in the meeting and then immediately overheard people at the next table telling someone something negative about the person... another time, someone who I used associate with one particular person in the community came to me and told me not work with  that person, and then proceeded to tell me how they fell out..   and so forth, basically trying to dissuade  me  from using that person and their resources for what I was trying to accomplish.

I know we, as humans, are prone to gossip, lol.  Just the nature of the beast, I suppost.  We are also prone to clique'y'ness,  and those two traits work to help some, but at the disadvantage of others.

Just my experience...

Frank Mixson
Time-LineProductions.com

th at cros.net> wrote:
Christopher, Alex, Bill, etal:

As an ardent "learner" and IndieClub attendee, I feel compelled to respond.

IndieClub is not only thriving, it has outgrown its first location at Talkies and moved to the larger Hyacinth Lofts. Even then, the meetings are often standing room only.

What used to be a 3 hour meeting has expanded to over 4 hours. This was done for one reason only as far as I know- so that we would all have the time to NETWORK! We were so busy screening work and having in really good speakers (like this month's Phil Garrett, previously of Dreamworks!) that we had run out of time to fish the talent pool for people to work on our shoots.

>From my association with Cleveland IndieClub, I have worked on 11 projects in the last 3 years. 2 of those were my own, with a third to shoot next weekend. I have done everything I could. My 20+ years expertise is in wardrobe and make up, so I have done alot of that. But I have worked as an extra and PA and moved through the ranks to script supervise, write, direct and produce.

To be sure, when I started seriously in film, I knew very little. I learned by volunteering to work on others' projects- yes, even the bad ones. You learn as much, if not more, on a bad shoot than a good one. Because I have a good work ethic, show up and do my job with the most professional attitude I have, I get asked back and recruited for other work. I am lucky enough that now I am regularly paid to work on films (yes, indies can pay!). Of course, I care a lot about the work and have studied everything I can get my hands on about filmmaking.

The only thing IndieClubbers lack as a whole, is the same thing every indie struggles with- MONEY. We need to learn how to raise it and spend it wisely to produce distributable product.

My next shoot is next weekend, and is entirely crewed by INDIECLUBBERS! Actors, crew, pa's- all from Indieclub. Some of these people honor me completely by agreeing to come work on my shoot, others are like I was a few years ago, hungry to learn.

Why do I share all of this? Because my personal story is just one of many- A great many Indieclubbers are just like me, and we survive becasue we work together. My product improves with every new technique I learn and I never tire of learning.

Just one modest success story from IndieCleveland. Hope to see you all at the next meeting.

Christine Chapman
lilith at cros.net

______________________________________
Disney's "BEAUTY AND THE BEAST" at Beck Center 12/2-12/31. 216-521-2540. http://www.fredsternfeld.com/beautyandthebeast.htm
_______________________________________
There is a sister site to this list called the "NEoPAL Bulletin Board." Occasionally when "hot-button" discussions go on more than a day or two, the bulletin board is used. The Neopal bulletin board also has some other terrific features, like a searchable database for you to put your personal information, a place to post pictures and a chat room with a nightly 11pm gathering to discuss hot topics: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/neopal/
_______________________________________
Disclaimer: The facts and/or opinions expressed in this message are solely those of the person in the "from" or "reply-to" header. The fact that this message is posted should in no way be taken as an endorsement by the administrator of this list. Subscribers should perform due diligence for all goods, services and activities promoted on NEohioPAL.

NEohioPAL mailing list
NEohioPAL at lists.fredsternfeld.com
http://www.fredsternfeld.com

--0-2018859710-1132958568=:45004

<DIV>
<DIV>Wow..  Christine you're very fortunate.  Congratulations..   Due to transportation problems, I have not been able to attend the mtgs regularly, heck, I've even suspended the taping of the show I produce, until I get in that in  order..   But one thing I've noticed is some clique'y'ness in the community..   Some people seem to not have any problems getting some help with their projects but others.. like myself.. cannot get any responses when I have asked for help.. I've done so several times at the meetings..  I've shown a music video, documentary trailers, and some of you might have even seen the tv show I produce.  I've always gotten good feedback on my work, even as I continue to study and learn the tools and techniques for this craft, but do I ever get any help from the club members?  One actor has shown up regularly to help out... and trust I appreciate his help a lot.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Now I know someone will say that you should volunteer to help others, first. I have answered some calls on this list and there was no  follow up from the originator of the posting, or just one, in one case.  I attributed it to the fact that they were already in production, and that I'm sure it was kinda crazy at that time.   I told others who I knew were doing things that if they needed my help to let me know..    I know how that goes.. I learned much volunteering  on the set of movies I was acting in and that I would show up for and lend my time to on days I wasn't the scene.  From finding and providing locations, to telephone calls for scheduling cast, to camera work, etc, believe me, I've paid my dues, and I continue to (I can name names and movies if you think I'm making this up). I've done PA work on some movies that I've had no part in, as well.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I sometimes have heard negative gossip about filmmakers or someone else in the community at some of our events..  I try real hard not to pass along negative gossip..  But I've seen someone walk in the meeting and then immediately overheard people at the next table telling someone something negative about the person... another time, someone who I used associate with one particular person in the community came to me and told me not work with  that person, and then proceeded to tell me how they fell out..   and so forth, basically trying to dissuade  me  from using that person and their resources for what I was trying to accomplish.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I know we, as humans, are prone to gossip, lol.  Just the nature of the beast, I suppost.  We are also prone to clique'y'ness,  and those two traits work to help some, but at the disadvantage of others.  </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Just my experience...</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Frank Mixson</DIV>
<DIV>Time-LineProductions.com</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><BR><B><I>th at cros.net></I></B> wrote:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">Christopher, Alex, Bill, etal:<BR><BR>As an ardent "learner" and IndieClub attendee, I feel compelled to respond.<BR><BR>IndieClub is not only thriving, it has outgrown its first location at Talkies and moved to the larger Hyacinth Lofts. Even then, the meetings are often standing room only.<BR><BR>What used to be a 3 hour meeting has expanded to over 4 hours. This was done for one reason only as far as I know- so that we would all have the time to NETWORK! We were so busy screening work and having in really good speakers (like this month's Phil Garrett, previously of Dreamworks!) that we had run out of time to fish the talent pool for people to work on our shoots.<BR><BR>>From my association with Cleveland IndieClub, I have worked on 11 projects in the last 3 years. 2 of those were my own, with a third to shoot next weekend. I have done everything I could. My 20+ years expertise
 is in wardrobe and make up, so I have done alot of that. But I have worked as an extra and PA and moved through the ranks to script supervise, write, direct and produce.<BR><BR>To be sure, when I started seriously in film, I knew very little. I learned by volunteering to work on others' projects- yes, even the bad ones. You learn as much, if not more, on a bad shoot than a good one. Because I have a good work ethic, show up and do my job with the most professional attitude I have, I get asked back and recruited for other work. I am lucky enough that now I am regularly paid to work on films (yes, indies can pay!). Of course, I care a lot about the work and have studied everything I can get my hands on about filmmaking.<BR><BR>The only thing IndieClubbers lack as a whole, is the same thing every indie struggles with- MONEY. We need to learn how to raise it and spend it wisely to produce distributable product.<BR><BR>My next shoot is next weekend, and is entirely crewed by
 INDIECLUBBERS! Actors, crew, pa's- all from Indieclub. Some of these people honor me completely by agreeing to come work on my shoot, others are like I was a few years ago, hungry to learn.<BR><BR>Why do I share all of this? Because my personal story is just one of many- A great many Indieclubbers are just like me, and we survive becasue we work together. My product improves with every new technique I learn and I never tire of learning.<BR><BR>Just one modest success story from IndieCleveland. Hope to see you all at the next meeting.<BR><BR>Christine Chapman<BR>lilith at cros.net<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>______________________________________<BR>Disney's "BEAUTY AND THE BEAST" at Beck Center 12/2-12/31. 216-521-2540. http://www.fredsternfeld.com/beautyandthebeast.htm<BR>_______________________________________<BR>There is a sister site to this list called the "NEoPAL Bulletin Board." Occasionally when "hot-button" discussions go on more than a day or two, the bulletin board is used. The
 Neopal bulletin board also has some other terrific features, like a searchable database for you to put your personal information, a place to post pictures and a chat room with a nightly 11pm gathering to discuss hot topics: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/neopal/ <BR>_______________________________________<BR>Disclaimer: The facts and/or opinions expressed in this message are solely those of the person in the "from" or "reply-to" header. The fact that this message is posted should in no way be taken as an endorsement by the administrator of this list. Subscribers should perform due diligence for all goods, services and activities promoted on NEohioPAL.<BR><BR>NEohioPAL mailing list<BR>NEohioPAL at lists.fredsternfeld.com<BR>http://lists.fredsternfeld.com/mailman/listinfo/neohiopal<BR>http://www.fredsternfeld.com<BR></BLOCKQUOTE></DIV>
--0-2018859710-1132958568=:45004--