[NEohioPAL]Interesting read: is the web killing the newspaper industry?

mikeanthnort at aol.com mikeanthnort at aol.com
Tue Dec 6 13:46:25 PST 2005

----------MailBlocks_8C7C8C5A3FADE53_13C0_40D8_MBLK-M10.sysops.aol.com

On the same token, there are some news services which if missed can be viewed on the Net, which is a "broadcaster" itself.  That's one good example of interperability.  The problem you write about with regard to broadcast news or even locally distributed newspaper content is very much the same as the problem with the webcast of information we receive via the Internet (only that on the web, the scale of unworthy content is vastly superior, as there are currently fewer means of sifting out the gold from the horse dung).

As long as it's all agreed that niche groups of interest whose borders are done away with via the web have as much (but no more) importance as geographically, localized community groups, then whether you're a broadcast news service, a newspaper in distribution, or a web service provider--whatever your business of fancy--you better be damned sure integrity is molded into your strategy.   Otherwise, the technology is bound to give you a wake-up call itself and, excuse the cliche, catch you with your pants down!

Newspapers, TV news, etc., would have it as a great strategy for the future in becoming "sifters" of such content that can be backed up by more in-depth coverage via pointers to acclaimed web spaces.  That's my bet, I'm all in; and all out!

Mike