[NEohioPAL]Going Solo: Winter classes in Writing for Solo Performance!

Smorton8 at aol.com Smorton8 at aol.com
Thu Dec 15 12:57:49 PST 2005

-------------------------------1134680269

GOING SOLO: WRITING FOR SOLO  PERFORMANCE
A new 8 -week session , taught by award-winning playwright Sarah Morton=20
begins Saturday, January 21st. =20

Do you have a story you've always wanted to tell?=20
         =20
Have you thought about writing a solo piece for yourself, or someone else,=20
but weren't sure how to get started?
 =20
This workshop explores the basics of creating solo work for the stage ,=20
through writing and storytelling exercises, movement, character work, and=20
improvisation.  Learn how to create dynamic, theatrical solo pieces and unco=
ver your=20
own unique voice as a writer/performer. All levels of experience are welcome=
.=20

For the final class, students will perform from their solo works -in-=20
progress, for an invited audience.=20

Class meets on Saturdays from 2:30-4:30 pm, January 21st-March 11th. =20
at ORTHODOX, in the Detroit Avenue Arts complex, located next to Cleveland=20
Public Theatre.=20

Investment: $ 160
 * Sliding scale is available, for those with special circumstances. Please=20
contact the instructor for more information.=20
=20
To register or for more info, contact Sarah Morton at smorton8 at aol.com,
or call (216) 534-7543.=20

*Class size is limited. Please register early.=20

Comments from past Going Solo students: =20

 Sarah Morton's Writing for Solo Performance Class is a superb blend of=20
writer's workshop, performance practicum, and spa for the writer's soul. We=20
actually WROTE, in class, and all week long. Then we PERFORMED, which inform=
ed our=20
writing. It worked, just like it was supposed to.  I learned so much about=20
myself, writing, writing for the stage. I was able to write the piece that h=
as been=20
inside my head for a long time, perform it, re-work it, then perform it=20
again. AMAZING!  =E2=80=93- Lynnette Guttmann,  Cabaret performer and voice=20=
coach     =20

Sarah is an excellent listener, very adept at hearing not only what you say,=
=20
but=20
what you WANT to say. She creates a fertile, stimulating environment. We all=
=20
felt safe enough to stretch ourselves. The class was excellent in that it ga=
ve=20
me a sense of needing to be accountable as a writer, not only to myself, but=
=20
to others as well.- - Scott Plate, actor/director

Anyone fascinated by the creative process will be right at home in Sarah=20
Morton's Going Solo class=E2=80=93 it's demanding ( requires devising, writi=
ng, and=20
performing one's work), and liberating ( is very playful and great fun) In o=
ther=20
words, Morton knows how to invite the Muse!  -=E2=80=93Jo Gibson, Adjunct fa=
culty in=20
English, CSU
                                                              =20
With Sarah Morton's coaching and direction, I developed, wrote, and performe=
d=20
the stories that resided within me for almost forty years, awaiting their=20
birth moment.
                -- Ubu Zurub, award-winning writer/performer/comedienne

About the instructor:=20
Sarah Morton is a playwright, actor, educator, and activist, and a native of=
=20
Cleveland, Ohio.
She recently performed her solo piece,  4 MINUTES TO HAPPY at the New York=20
International Fringe Festival and at Cleveland Public Theatre, where it was=20
nominated for a Northern Ohio Live Theatre Achievement Award and a Cleveland=
=20
Theater Collective award for Best Actress.  Other recent productions include=
  THREE=20
WORDS with Great Lakes Theatre Festival (tour),  NIGHT BLOOMERS with Emergin=
g=20
Artists Theater in NYC, and COURAGE OF I, a series of monologues created wit=
h=20
the residents of the Elyria YWCA, and produced by Cleveland Public Theatre.=20=
=20
Acting credits include the world premiere of Eric Coble's T.I.D.Y. at Beck=20
Center,  SIN with  Bad Epitaph Theatre Company,  BRINGING THE FISHERMEN HOME=
 and=20
THE EIGHT at CPT, and her solo piece THE EIGHTH WONDER OF THE WORLD at Dobam=
a,=20
which earned her a SCENE award for Best Solo Performance.  She has been an=20
artist in residence at Cleveland State University, Cleveland School of the A=
rts,=20
Shaker Heights High School, and Hathaway Brown School, and served on the=20
education staff at Cleveland Public Theatre, where she taught Writing for So=
lo=20
Performance for beginning and advanced students.  For the past six years, sh=
e has=20
also been teaching and designing curriculum for The Cleveland Play House's =20
highly regarded  Young Playwrights Workshop, a program for gifted high schoo=
l=20
writers.  Her play NIGHT BLOOMERS will receive its world premiere at The=20
Cleveland Play House's new work festival, Fusion Fest, in May of 2006.=20

=20
                                                                           =20=
 =20
                             =20

-------------------------------1134680269

<HTML><HEAD>
<META charset=3DUTF-8 http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charse=
t=3DUTF-8">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2900.2769" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
f">
<DIV>GOING SOLO: WRITING FOR SOLO  PERFORMANCE<BR>A new 8 -week session=
 , taught by award-winning playwright Sarah Morton <BR>begins Saturday, Janu=
ary 21st.  </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Do you have a story you've always wanted to tell? <BR>  &nbsp=
;       <BR>Have you thought about writin=
g a solo piece for yourself, or someone else, <BR>but weren't sure how to ge=
t started?<BR>  <BR>This workshop explores the basics of creating solo=20=
work for the stage , through writing and storytelling exercises, movement, c=
haracter work, and improvisation.  Learn how to create dynamic, theatri=
cal solo pieces and uncover your own unique voice as a writer/performer. All=
 levels of experience are welcome. </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>For the final class, students will perform from their solo works -in- p=
rogress, for an invited audience. </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Class meets on Saturdays from 2:30-4:30 pm, January 21st-March 11th.&nb=
sp; <BR>at ORTHODOX, in the Detroit Avenue Arts complex, located next to Cle=
veland Public Theatre. </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Investment: $ 160<BR> * Sliding scale is available, for those with=
 special circumstances. Please contact the instructor for more information.=20=
<BR> <BR>To register or for more info, contact Sarah Morton at <A href=
=3D"mailto:smorton8 at aol.com">smorton8 at aol.com</A>,<BR>or call (216) 534-7543=
. </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>*Class size is limited. Please register early. </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Comments from past Going Solo students:  </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV> Sarah Morton's Writing for Solo Performance Class is a superb ble=
nd of writer's workshop, performance practicum, and spa for the writer's sou=
l. We actually WROTE, in class, and all week long. Then we PERFORMED, which=20=
informed our writing. It worked, just like it was supposed to.  I learn=
ed so much about myself, writing, writing for the stage. I was able to write=
 the piece that has been inside my head for a long time, perform it, re-work=
 it, then perform it again. AMAZING!  =E2=80=93- Lynnette Guttmann,&nbs=
p; Cabaret performer and voice coach      </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Sarah is an excellent listener, very adept at hearing not only what you=
 say, but <BR>what you WANT to say. She creates a fertile, stimulating envir=
onment. We all felt safe enough to stretch ourselves. The class was excellen=
t in that it gave me a sense of needing to be accountable as a writer, not o=
nly to myself, but to others as well.- - Scott Plate, actor/director</DIV>
<DIV><BR>Anyone fascinated by the creative process will be right at home in=20=
Sarah Morton's Going Solo class=E2=80=93 it's demanding ( requires devising,=
 writing, and performing one's work), and liberating ( is very playful and g=
reat fun) In other words, Morton knows how to invite the Muse!  -=E2=
=80=93Jo Gibson, Adjunct faculty in English, CSU<BR>   &=
nbsp;           &nbsp=
;            &nb=
sp;            &=
nbsp;           &nbsp=
;         <BR>With Sarah Morton's co=
aching and direction, I developed, wrote, and performed the stories that res=
ided within me for almost forty years, awaiting their birth moment.<BR>&nbsp=
;            &nb=
sp;  -- Ubu Zurub, award-winning writer/performer/comedienne</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>About the instructor: <BR>Sarah Morton is a playwright, actor, educator=
, and activist, and a native of Cleveland, Ohio.<BR>She recently performed h=
er solo piece,  4 MINUTES TO HAPPY at the New York International Fringe=
 Festival and at Cleveland Public Theatre, where it was nominated for a Nort=
hern Ohio Live Theatre Achievement Award and a Cleveland Theater Collective=20=
award for Best Actress.  Other recent productions include  THREE W=
ORDS with Great Lakes Theatre Festival (tour),  NIGHT BLOOMERS with Eme=
rging Artists Theater in NYC, and COURAGE OF I, a series of monologues creat=
ed with the residents of the Elyria YWCA, and produced by Cleveland Public T=
heatre.  Acting credits include the world premiere of Eric Coble's=
 T.I.D.Y. at Beck Center,  SIN with  Bad Epitaph Theatre=
 Company,  BRINGING THE FISHERMEN HOME and THE EIGHT at CPT, =
and her solo piece THE EIGHTH WONDER OF THE WORLD at Dobama, which earn=
ed her a SCENE award for Best Solo Performance.  She has been an artist=
 in residence at Cleveland State University, Cleveland School of the Arts, S=
haker Heights High School, and Hathaway Brown School, and served on the educ=
ation staff at Cleveland Public Theatre, where she taught Writing for Solo P=
erformance for beginning and advanced students.  For the past six years=
, she has also been teaching and designing curriculum for The Cleveland Play=
 House's  highly regarded  Young Playwrights Workshop, a program f=
or gifted high school writers.  Her play NIGHT BLOOMERS will receive it=
s world premiere at The Cleveland Play House's new work festival, Fusion Fes=
t, in May of 2006. </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV> <BR>           =
            &nbs=