[NEohioPAL]National Press Photographers Exhibit "Life through a Shutter"

Standing Rock Cultural Arts info at standingrock.net
Mon Dec 19 07:35:57 PST 2005

--MS_Mac_OE_3217833357_858255_MIME_Part

Greetings,

Standing Rock Cultural Arts presents
=20
WHO:=A0 The Kent State University Chapter of the NPPA (National Press
Photographers Association) and KSU Alumni

WHAT:  "Life Through A Shutter" A Photography Exhibit

-A collective portfolio of recent=A0independent and=A0collaborative projects.
Including the "24-hours in Portage County" project and several=A0independent
student projects that will all be on display.

WHEN:=A0 Opening Reception, January 7, 8pm
-Exhibit runs through January 28.

WHERE: =A0North Water Street Gallery, 257 N. Water St., Kent, Ohio

GALLERY HOURS:  Thursday-Saturday, 1-5pm or by appointment

CONTACT:  Jeff @ 330-673-4970

UPDATES:  www.standingrock.net

National Press Photographer's Association

Mission Statement=20

The National Press Photographers Association is dedicated to the advancemen=
of photojournalism, its creation, editing and distribution, in all news
media. NPPA encourages photojournalists to reflect high standards of qualit=
in their professional performance and in their personal code of ethics. NPP=
vigorously promotes freedom of the press in all its forms. To this end, NPP=
provides continuing educational programs and fraternalism without bias, as
we support and acknowledge the best the profession has to offer.

Our members include still and television photographers, editors, students
and representatives of businesses that serve the photojournalism industry.
As of the Fall of 2003, NPPA had over 8,000 paid professional members, abou=
1,500 paid student members, and nearly 500 life members--bringing the total
membership to just over 10,000.

History=20

The National Press Photographers Association was founded in 1946. In the
first issue of National Press Photographer (published in Boston, Mass. in
April 1946), an editorial on the front page proclaimed, "With this issue is
born a voice, one that has been mute much too long."
t the early history of the NPPA? Purchase a copy of A Voice is Born: The
Founding and Early Years of the National Press Photographers
"We're no longer going to permit ourselves to be relegated to the position
of unwelcome, but necessary, stepchildren of the Fourth Estate. We've got a
voice, finally, and we're going to make use of it. No false modesty. No
muffling of that voice under a barrel. We're going to yell so loud -- when
the occasion demands, and not just for the fun of hearing ourselves shout -=
-
that those in this country who have been injuring us with scant courtesy
will begin to realize that here is a new force to be reckoned with."

In the early years, the struggles included trying to get cameras allowed
into the courtrooms and to improve government/media relations. And, in fact=
,
many of the programs that NPPA has today including the "job bureau" as it
was then called, an insurance program, "The Complete Book of Press
Photography" and programs for "newsreel cameramen" had their start back in
the late 1940s.

But they've grown as have many of NPPA's other programs. Today, NPPA hosts
five national workshops of various types on everything from general
photography and motivation to television photography and technology. Today,
NPPA has a Job Information Bank that posts several job openings every week.
Today, NPPA has an e-commerce store, an AV Library and publishes materials
that are in demand by researchers, students, instructors and
photojournalists all over the world.

Membership in NPPA is open to professional news photographers and all other=
whose occupation has a direct professional relationship with
photojournalism. All members receive a monthly copy of News Photographer
magazine, The Best of Photojournalism Yearbook and 2 Volume Television
Winners' DVD, regional publications, access to the Job Information Bank,
discounts on all NPPA programs and eligibility to enter all NPPA contests.

More Info on NPPA can be found at http://www.nppa.org
If you have questions about NPPA, don't hesitate t

=A9NPPA 2005.
All rights reserved

--MS_Mac_OE_3217833357_858255_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>National Press Photographers Exhibit "Life through a Shutter&qu=
ot;</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<B>Greetings,<BR>
<BR>
</B><FONT SIZE=3D"5">Standing Rock Cultural Arts presents<BR>
</FONT><B> <BR>
</B><H3>WHO:=A0 The Kent State University Chapter of the NPPA (National Press=
 Photographers Association) and KSU Alumni<BR>
<BR>
</H3><FONT SIZE=3D"4"><B>WHAT:  </B></FONT><B><FONT SIZE=3D"5"><U>"Li=
fe Through A Shutter"</U> </FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"4">A Photography Exhibit<B=

</FONT></B><H2><BR>
</H2><H3>-A collective portfolio of recent=A0independent and=A0collaborative pr=
ojects. Including the "24-hours in Portage County" project and sev=
eral=A0independent student projects that will all be on display.<BR>
<BR>
WHEN:=A0 Opening Reception, January 7, 8pm<BR>
-Exhibit runs through January 28.<BR>
<BR>
WHERE: =A0North Water Street Gallery, 257 N. Water St., Kent, Ohio<BR>
<BR>
GALLERY HOURS:  Thursday-Saturday, 1-5pm or by appointment <BR>
<BR>
CONTACT:  Jeff @ 330-673-4970<BR>
<BR>
UPDATES:  www.standingrock.net<BR>
<BR>
</H3><FONT FACE=3D"Arial"><H2>National Press Photographer's Association<BR>
</H2><H3><BR>
</H3><FONT SIZE=3D"5">Mission Statement <BR>
</FONT><H2><BR>
The National Press Photographers Association is dedicated to the advancemen=
t of photojournalism, its creation, editing and distribution, in all news me=
dia. NPPA encourages photojournalists to reflect high standards of quality i=
n their professional performance and in their personal code of ethics. NPPA =
vigorously promotes freedom of the press in all its forms. To this end, NPPA=
 provides continuing educational programs and fraternalism without bias, as =
we support and acknowledge the best the profession has to offer.<BR>
<BR>
Our members include still and television photographers, editors, students a=
nd representatives of businesses that serve the photojournalism industry. As=
 of the Fall of 2003, NPPA had over 8,000 paid professional members, about 1=
,500 paid student members, and nearly 500 life members--bringing the total m=
embership to just over 10,000.<BR>
</H2><H3><BR>
<BR>
</H3><H1>History <BR>
<BR>
</H1><FONT SIZE=3D"5"><B>The National Press Photographers Association was fou=
nded in 1946. In the first issue of <I>National Press Photographer</I> (publ=
ished in Boston, Mass. in April 1946), an editorial on the front page procla=
imed, "With this issue is born a voice, one that has been mute much too=
 long."<BR>
</B></FONT><B><FONT COLOR=3D"#FFFFFF"><FONT SIZE=3D"4">t the early history of t=
he NPPA? Purchase a copy of <I>A Voice is Born: The Founding and Early Years=
 of the National Press Photographers<BR>
</I></FONT></FONT></B><H3>"We're no longer going to permit ourselves t=
o be relegated to the position of unwelcome, but necessary, stepchildren of =
the Fourth Estate. We've got a voice, finally, and we're going to make use o=
f it. No false modesty. No muffling of that voice under a barrel. We're goin=
g to yell so loud -- when the occasion demands, and not just for the fun of =
hearing ourselves shout -- that those in this country who have been injuring=
 us with scant courtesy will begin to realize that here is a new force to be=
 reckoned with."<BR>
<BR>
In the early years, the struggles included trying to get cameras allowed in=
to the courtrooms and to improve government/media relations. And, in fact, m=
any of the programs that NPPA has today including the "job bureau"=
 as it was then called, an insurance program, "The Complete Book of Pre=
ss Photography" and programs for "newsreel cameramen" had the=
ir start back in the late 1940s.<BR>
<BR>
But they've grown as have many of NPPA's other programs. Today, NPPA hosts =
five national workshops of various types on everything from general photogra=
phy and motivation to television photography and technology. Today, NPPA has=
 a Job Information Bank that posts several job openings every week. Today, N=
PPA has an e-commerce store, an AV Library and publishes materials that are =
in demand by researchers, students, instructors and photojournalists all ove=
r the world.<BR>
<BR>
</H3><FONT SIZE=3D"4"><B>Membership in NPPA is open to professional news phot=
ographers and all others whose occupation has a direct professional relation=
ship with photojournalism. All members receive a monthly copy of <I>News Pho=
tographer</I> magazine, <I>The Best of Photojournalism Yearbook</I> and 2 Vo=
lume Television Winners' DVD, regional publications, access to the Job Infor=
mation Bank, discounts on all NPPA programs and eligibility to enter all NPP=
A contests.<BR>
</B></FONT><H3><BR>
More Info on NPPA can be found at http://www.nppa.org<BR>
<FONT COLOR=3D"#FFFFFF">If you have questions about NPPA, don't hesitate t<BR=

</FONT><BR>
</H3><FONT COLOR=3D"#FFFFFF"><B>=A9NPPA 2005.<BR>
</B>All rights reserved</FONT></FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3217833357_858255_MIME_Part--