[NEohioPAL]Get a new "Hattitude" -- See "Crowns"

Jan Harcar jharcar at weathervaneplayhouse.com
Wed Dec 28 12:02:29 PST 2005

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C60BBF.B89D1840

WEATHERVANE PLAYHOUSE Ushers in the New Year with CROWNS

The gospel musical adapted by Regina Taylor from the best-selling book

by Michael Cunningham & Craig Marberry

Weathervane Playhouse presents Crowns, the gospel musical. Crowns is a =
spirited and soulful salute to African-American heritage, faith and =
fashion and plays January 11 through February 5, 2006. This =
"stand-up-and-testify" gospel musical was inspired by a coffee-table =
book CROWNS: PORTRAITS OF BLACK WOMEN IN CHURCH HATS, by Michael =
Cunningham and Craig Marberry, featuring African-American women wearing =
their elaborate church hats.

In Regina Taylor's stage adaptation, a young woman who journeys to the =
South becomes initiated into a circle of regal, crown-wearing women who =
welcome her into their "circle of hat queens." This unique intersection =
of faith with fashion creates a vivid tribute to "hattitude" - engaging =
you on an inspiring journey toward personal identity, purpose and belief =
in a higher power. As the writer James Baldwin observed, "Sometimes =
under those hats there's a lot of joy and a lot of sorrow." With a =
similar mixture of hard-earned wisdom and heartfelt joy, Crowns =
celebrates a singularly colorful slice of life. Weathervane's production =
features hat by Dee Hall and Associates.

Our Directing Team

Director - Dale Ricardo Shields holds Bachelors and Masters of Fine Arts =
degrees from Ohio University. He most recently directed Topdog Underdog =
at the Beck Center for the Arts. He performed with the Saint Paul Civic =
Symphony at the Saint Paul Landmark Center as the Narrator in Aaron =
Copland's A Lincoln Portrait. His extensive professional credits as a =
director, stage manager and actor (Broadway and Off Broadway) include =
The Joseph Papp Public Theatre (New York Shakespeare Festival), The =
Actors Studio, Actors Theatre of Louisville, Playwrights Horizon, =
Ensemble Studio Theatre, Cleveland Play House, Dobama Theatre, Hilberry =
Repertory Theatre, Karamu House, The Henry Street Settlement House and =
The Negro Ensemble Company. His directing credits include Man of La =
Mancha, Rumors, For Colored Girls., The Night Thoreau Spent in Jail, =
Golden Boy, Of Mice and Men, A Streetcar Named Desire, Laughter on the =
Twenty-Third Floor and Driving Miss Daisy (among others). As an actor, =
Shields appeared in the New York revival of Anyone Can Whistle, the =
Lincoln Center premiere of Lily, The Bill Cosby Show, Another World, =
Guiding Light, Saturday Night Live and various commercials and film =
work.

Musical Director - Edward E. Ridley, Jr. is thrilled to be returning to =
the uplifting musical Crowns where he previously worked as Music =
Director at The Cleveland Play House. Other recent productions include =
The Piano Lesson, Daughter of a Buffalo Soldier, and Tony & Tina's =
Wedding. In addition to extensive theater work, he serves as Music =
Director for the Christian Fellowship Center Church. He is also on the =
music faculty at the Eastern Campus of Cuyahoga Community College. Ed's =
versatility and talent as a performer has allowed him to accompany such =
great artists as Aretha Franklin, Lauryn Hill, Walter Hawkins and Clark =
Terry. Of the many blessings in Ed's life, his greatest treasures are =
his lovely wife Josephine, and their three children, Gabrielle, Sarah =
and Joel.

Choreographer - Michael Medcalf whose uncompromising professionalism and =
pursuit of excellence as a performer, choreographer and dance educator, =
and his commitment to the exposure of the art form to underserved =
communities, has guided him and his endeavors to perform, choreograph =
and teach dance throughout the world. In 1998, Medcalf returned home to =
Cleveland and founded Cleveland Contemporary Dance Theatre, a =
contemporary dance company dedicated to celebrating, teaching and =
promoting diversity through dance. As a professional dancer Medcalf has =
worked intimately with prominent choreographers such as Talley Beatty, =
Katherine Dunham, Donald McKayle, Ronald K. Brown, Bill T. Jones, Cleo =
Parker Robinson, Dianne McIntyre, Kevin (Iega) Jeff, Gary Abbott, Eleo =
Pomare, Dwight Rhoden and David Rousseve. Medcalf has served as the =
choreographer for Cleveland Municipal School District's All-City Musical =
for the past 4 years. His credits to the program includes The Wiz, West =
Side Story, Carmen Jones and the Hot Mikado. Additional theater credits =
include choreography for East Cleveland Community Theater's production =
of South Pacific.

CAST:

Charessa Banks (Mother Shaw)
Charessa is a graduate of North High School in Akron and earned a degree =
in Broadcast Journalism at Pasadena City College in California.

Neysa Fuller (Yolanda)
Neysa received a Bachelor of Art degree in Applied Psychology from =
Cedarville University. While there, she participated in various choral =
groups on campus including the Women's Choir and Gospel Choir and =
Ensemble. Currently, she is a graduate student at The University of =
Akron in the College of Education and directs a vocal ensemble for her =
church.

Jocelyn E. Grant (Velma)
Jocelyn was previously in the Weathervane productions Little Shop of =
Horrors as Chiffon and in The Wiz as Evillene. She is a graduate of =
Firestone High School and is currently a third-year student at The =
University of Akron majoring in English. Jocelyn is also a choir member =
and Minister-in-Training at the United Baptist Church.

Telsha L. Curry (Jeanette)
Telsha earned a baccalaureate degree in English with a minor in Spanish =
and a certificate in Linguistics from The University of Akron where she =
added a variety of dance classes to her undergraduate studies. She has =
been employed as a substitute teacher in Akron Public Schools. Telsha =
has studied at the prestigious Alvin Ailey School of Dance in New York =
and at the School of Cleveland Contemporary Dance Theatre under the =
artistic leadership of Michael Medcalf.

Rhonda K. Brown (Mabel)
Rhonda has been singing since she was five years old. She has =
distinguished herself throughout the Greater Northern Ohio area with her =
unique song stylings and musical interpretations. As a student at The =
University of Akron, she was a member of the University Gospel Choir. =
She has also been a member of the Akron Symphony Orchestra's Gospel =
Meets Symphony Choir for the last 12 years serving as a section leader =
and lead singer. She has also performed as the opening singer for =
several popular artists including the world-renowned jazz singer, Phil =
Perry. Rhonda's current interests include performing with the choir at =
Arlington Church of God.

Patricia (Dolly) Roebuck (Wanda)
Patricia graduated form Archbishop Hoban High School and attended The =
University of Akron. Although she has enjoyed theater for many years, =
this is her theatrical stage debut. She has been a member of the =
Arlington Church of God Chancel Choir for more the 25 years. She serves =
as assistant director of the Arlington Children's Choir and is a staff =
member of the Youth Excellence Performing Arts Workshop (YEPAW), which =
encourages young people to pursue lifestyles of excellence.

Daniel Shaw (Man/Preacher)=20
Daniel's creative endeavors include drama as well as musicals. He has =
appeared in night clubs and showcases in the New York, Los Angeles and =
San Francisco areas. As a singer, tap dancer and musician, he has =
performed with the Hunter's Point Ensemble in San Francisco in Mr. Big =
Time Buck White and also at Sweetwater's in New York City. Most =
recently, Daniel worked in Joe Louis Blues (Sidney Bechet) at the Oscar =
Hammerstein II Center for Theater Studies (Columbia University Campus), =
NY. He has also appeared in the HBO movie Proximity with James Coburn =
and Rob Lowe. Daniel worked behind the camera as a Production Assistant =
on the Cosby Show for Carsey Warner Productions. He is a former student =
at the Center for The Media Arts of New York.
BACKSTAGE:

Nichole Strong Stage Manager

Marcus Bentley Assistant to the Director

Tommy Garrett Assistant Musical Director

Jordan Cooper Assistant Stage Manager

Charles Korecki Lighting Designer

Ryan Durfee Lighting Designer

Jerry Mirman Sound Designer

Pauline Geraci Properties Designer

David Cooper Costume Designer

Dee Hall Professional Milliner

Dust off your favorite hat and join us at Weathervane Playhouse January =
12 - February 5, 2005 for a performance of CROWNS. Low-cost preview =
performances on Wednesday and Thursday, January 11 & 12 at 7:30 p.m. =
with official opening on Friday, January 13 at 8:00 p.m. Other =
performances are Thursdays at 7:30 p.m., Fridays and Saturdays at 8 p.m. =
and Sundays at 2:30 p.m. Special luncheon Matinee on Saturday, January =
28; lunch at 1 p.m., Matinee 2:30 p.m. Charge by phone at Weathervane's =
Ticket Office at 330-836-2626. Call between 10 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. =
Tuesday through Friday. Tickets: $20 (Other Tickets: Wed. & Thurs =
previews $14, Students 17 or younger $16, College Students and Senior =
Citizens $18 on Thursdays and Sundays, luncheon matinee $30. Half-price =
student rush tickets may be purchased at the door with ID. Student Rush =
not available for Luncheon/matinee.)

The production is recommended for general audiences age 14 or older.

The Ohio Arts Council helped fund this program with state tax dollars to =
encourage economic growth,

education excellence and cultural enrichment for all Ohioans.

Additional Season Sponsors: WKSU, Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company

www.weathervaneplayhouse.com

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C60BBF.B89D1840

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><B><FONT face=3DHelvetica>
<P align=3Dcenter>WEATHERVANE PLAYHOUSE </FONT><FONT face=3DHelvetica =
size=3D4>Ushers=20
in the New Year with <I>CROWNS</I></FONT></P>
<P align=3Dcenter><FONT face=3DHelvetica size=3D2>The gospel musical =
adapted by Regina=20
Taylor from the best-selling book</P>
<P align=3Dcenter>by Michael Cunningham & Craig =
Marberry</P><I></B></I>
<P><B>Weathervane Playhouse</B> presents <B><I>Crowns, the gospel=20
musical</B></I>. Crowns is a spirited and soulful salute to =
African-American=20
heritage, faith and fashion and plays <B>January 11 through February 5,=20
2006</B>. This "stand-up-and-testify" gospel musical was inspired by a=20
coffee-table book <B>CROWNS: PORTRAITS OF BLACK WOMEN IN CHURCH =
HATS</B>, by=20
<B>Michael Cunningham</B> and <B>Craig Marberry</B>, featuring =
African-American=20
women wearing their elaborate church hats.</P>
<P>In <B>Regina Taylor=92s</B> stage adaptation, a young woman who =
journeys to the=20
South becomes initiated into a circle of regal, crown-wearing women who =
welcome=20
her into their "circle of hat queens." This unique intersection of faith =
with=20
fashion creates a vivid tribute to "hattitude" =96 engaging you on an =
inspiring=20
journey toward personal identity, purpose and belief in a higher power. =
As the=20
writer James Baldwin observed, "Sometimes under those hats there=92s a =
lot of joy=20
and a lot of sorrow." With a similar mixture of hard-earned wisdom and =
heartfelt=20
joy, <I>Crowns</I> celebrates a singularly colorful slice of life. =
Weathervane=92s=20
production features hat by <B>Dee Hall and Associates</B>.</P><B>
<P>Our Directing Team</P>
<P>Director =96 Dale Ricardo Shields</B> holds Bachelors and Masters of =
Fine Arts=20
degrees from Ohio University. He most recently directed <I>Topdog =
Underdog</I>=20
at the Beck Center for the Arts. He performed with the Saint Paul Civic =
Symphony=20
at the Saint Paul Landmark Center as the Narrator in Aaron Copland=92s =
<I>A=20
Lincoln Portrait.</I> His extensive professional credits as a director, =
stage=20
manager and actor (Broadway and Off Broadway) include The Joseph Papp =
Public=20
Theatre (New York Shakespeare Festival), The Actors Studio, Actors =
Theatre of=20
Louisville, Playwrights Horizon, Ensemble Studio Theatre, Cleveland Play =
House,=20
Dobama Theatre, Hilberry Repertory Theatre, Karamu House, The Henry =
Street=20
Settlement House and The Negro Ensemble Company. His directing credits =
include=20
<I>Man of La Mancha, Rumors, For Colored Girls=85, The Night Thoreau =
Spent in=20
Jail, Golden Boy, Of Mice and Men, A Streetcar Named Desire, Laughter on =
the=20
Twenty-Third Floor and Driving Miss Daisy</I> (among others). As an =
actor,=20
Shields appeared in the New York revival of <I>Anyone Can Whistle</I>, =
the=20
Lincoln Center premiere of <I>Lily, The Bill Cosby Show, Another World, =
Guiding=20
Light, Saturday Night Live </I></FONT><FONT face=3DHelvetica =
size=3D2>and various=20
commercials and film work.</P><B>
<P>Musical Director =96 Edward E. Ridley, Jr. </B>is thrilled to be =
returning to=20
the uplifting musical <I>Crowns</I> where he previously worked as Music =
Director=20
at The Cleveland Play House. Other recent productions include<I> The =
Piano=20
Lesson, Daughter of a Buffalo Soldier, and Tony & Tina's =
Wedding.</I> In=20
addition to extensive theater work, he serves as Music Director for the=20
Christian Fellowship Center Church. He is also on the music faculty at =
the=20
Eastern Campus of Cuyahoga Community College. Ed's versatility and =
talent as a=20
performer has allowed him to accompany such great artists as Aretha =
Franklin,=20
Lauryn Hill, Walter Hawkins and Clark Terry. Of the many blessings in =
Ed's life,=20
his greatest treasures are his lovely wife Josephine, and their three =
children,=20
Gabrielle, Sarah and Joel.</P><B>
<P>Choreographer =96 Michael Medcalf </B>whose uncompromising =
professionalism and=20
pursuit of excellence as a performer, choreographer and dance educator, =
and his=20
commitment to the exposure of the art form to underserved communities, =
has=20
guided him and his endeavors to perform, choreograph and teach dance =
throughout=20
the world. In 1998, Medcalf returned home to Cleveland and founded =
Cleveland=20
Contemporary Dance Theatre, a contemporary dance company dedicated to=20
celebrating, teaching and promoting diversity through dance. As a =
professional=20
dancer Medcalf has worked intimately with prominent choreographers such =
as=20
Talley Beatty, Katherine Dunham, Donald McKayle, Ronald K. Brown, Bill =
T. Jones,=20
Cleo Parker Robinson, Dianne McIntyre, Kevin (Iega) Jeff, Gary Abbott, =
Eleo=20
Pomare, Dwight Rhoden and David Rousseve. Medcalf has served as the=20
choreographer for Cleveland Municipal School District's All-City Musical =
for the=20
past 4 years. His credits to the program includes <I>The Wiz, West Side =
Story,=20
Carmen Jones</I> and the <I>Hot Mikado</I>. Additional theater credits =
include=20
choreography for East Cleveland Community Theater's production of =
<I>South=20
Pacific</I>.</P>
<P><STRONG>CAST:</STRONG></P></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Charessa Banks <EM>(Mother =
Shaw)</EM></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Charessa is a graduate of North High School in =
Akron and=20
earned a degree in Broadcast Journalism at Pasadena City College in=20
California.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Neysa Fuller <EM>(Yolanda)</EM></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Neysa received a Bachelor of Art degree in =
Applied=20
Psychology from Cedarville University. While there, she participated in =
various=20
choral groups on campus including the Women=92s Choir and Gospel Choir =
and=20
Ensemble. Currently, she is a graduate student at The University of =
Akron in the=20
College of Education and directs a vocal ensemble for her =
church.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Jocelyn E. Grant <EM>(Velma)</EM></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Jocelyn was previously in the Weathervane =
productions=20
<I>Little Shop of Horrors</I> as Chiffon and in <I>The Wiz</I> as =
Evillene. She=20
is a graduate of Firestone High School and is currently a third-year =
student at=20
The University of Akron majoring in English. Jocelyn is also a choir =
member and=20
Minister-in-Training at the United Baptist Church.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Telsha L. Curry <EM>(Jeanette)</EM></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Telsha earned a baccalaureate degree in English =
with a=20
minor in Spanish and a certificate in Linguistics from The University of =
Akron=20
where she added a variety of dance classes to her undergraduate studies. =
She has=20
been employed as a substitute teacher in Akron Public Schools. Telsha =
has=20
studied at the prestigious Alvin Ailey School of Dance in New York and =
at the=20
School of Cleveland Contemporary Dance Theatre under the artistic =
leadership of=20
Michael Medcalf.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT> </DIV></FONT><FONT face=3DHelvetica =
size=3D2>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Rhonda K. Brown <EM>(Mabel)</EM></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Rhonda has been singing since she was five years =
old. She=20
has distinguished herself throughout the Greater Northern Ohio area with =
her=20
unique song stylings and musical interpretations. As a student at The =
University=20
of Akron, she was a member of the University Gospel Choir. She has also =
been a=20
member of the Akron Symphony Orchestra=92s Gospel Meets Symphony Choir =
for the=20
last 12 years serving as a section leader and lead singer. She has also=20
performed as the opening singer for several popular artists including =
the=20
world-renowned jazz singer, Phil Perry. Rhonda=92s current interests =
include=20
performing with the choir at Arlington Church of God.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Patricia (Dolly) Roebuck =
<EM>(Wanda)</EM></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Patricia graduated form Archbishop Hoban High =
School and=20
attended The University of Akron. Although she has enjoyed theater for =
many=20
years, this is her theatrical stage debut. She has been a member of the=20
Arlington Church of God Chancel Choir for more the 25 years. She serves =
as=20
assistant director of the Arlington Children=92s Choir and is a staff =
member of=20
the Youth Excellence Performing Arts Workshop (YEPAW), which encourages =
young=20
people to pursue lifestyles of excellence.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Daniel Shaw <EM>(Man/Preacher) =
</EM></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>Daniel=92s creative endeavors include drama as well as musicals. He =
has=20
appeared in night clubs and showcases in the New York, Los Angeles and =
San=20
Francisco areas. As a singer, tap dancer and musician, he has performed =
with the=20
Hunter=92s Point Ensemble in San Francisco in <I>Mr. Big Time Buck =
White</I> and=20
also at Sweetwater=92s in New York City. Most recently, Daniel worked in =
<I>Joe=20
Louis Blues</I> (Sidney Bechet) at the Oscar Hammerstein II Center for =
Theater=20
Studies (Columbia University Campus), NY. He has also appeared in the =
HBO movie=20
<I>Proximity</I> with James Coburn and Rob Lowe. Daniel worked behind =
the camera=20
as a Production Assistant on the Cosby Show for Carsey Warner =
Productions. He is=20
a former student at the Center for The Media Arts of New York.</DIV>
<DIV><B>
<P align=3Dleft>BACKSTAGE:</P>
<P>Nichole Strong </B>Stage Manager</P><B>
<P>Marcus Bentley </B>Assistant to the Director</P><B>
<P>Tommy Garrett</B> Assistant Musical Director</P><B>
<P>Jordan Cooper </B>Assistant Stage Manager</P><B>
<P>Charles Korecki</B> Lighting Designer</P><B>
<P>Ryan Durfee</B> Lighting Designer</P><B>
<P>Jerry Mirman</B> Sound Designer</P><B>
<P>Pauline Geraci</B> Properties Designer</P><B>
<P>David Cooper</B> Costume Designer</P><B>
<P>Dee Hall</B> Professional Milliner</P>
<P>Dust off your favorite hat and join us at Weathervane Playhouse =
<B>January 12=20
=96 February 5, 2005</B> for a performance of <B><I>CROWNS</B></I>. =
Low-cost=20
preview performances on <B>Wednesday and Thursday, January 11 & 12 =
at=20
<U>7:30 p.m.</B></U> with official opening on <B>Friday, January 13 at =
8:00=20
p.m.</B> Other performances are <U>Thursdays at 7:30 p.m.</U>, Fridays =
and=20
Saturdays at 8 p.m. and Sundays at 2:30 p.m. Special luncheon Matinee on =

Saturday, January 28; lunch at 1 p.m., Matinee 2:30 p.m. Charge by phone =
at=20
Weathervane=92s Ticket Office at <B>330-836-2626</B>. <B><I>Call between =
10 a.m.=20
and 5:30 p.m. Tuesday through Friday. </B>Tickets: $20 </I>(Other =
Tickets: Wed.=20
& Thurs previews $14, Students 17 or younger $16, College Students =
and=20
Senior Citizens $18 on Thursdays and Sundays, luncheon matinee $30. =
Half-price=20
student rush tickets may be purchased at the door with ID. Student Rush =
not=20
available for Luncheon/matinee.)</P><B>
<P align=3Dcenter>The production is recommended for general audiences =
age 14 or=20
older.</P></B></FONT><I><FONT face=3DHelvetica size=3D1>
<P align=3Dcenter>The Ohio Arts Council helped fund this program with =
state tax=20
dollars to encourage economic growth,</P>
<P align=3Dcenter>education excellence and cultural enrichment for all=20
Ohioans.</P>
<P align=3Dcenter>Additional Season Sponsors: WKSU, Goodyear Tire & =
Rubber=20
Company</P></I>
<P align=3Dcenter><A=20
href=3D"http://www.weathervaneplayhouse.com">www.weathervaneplayhouse.com=
</A></FONT><FONT=20
face=3DHelvetica size=3D2></P></FONT></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C60BBF.B89D1840--