[NEohioPAL]3rd Annual Standing Rock Film Festival

Standing Rock Cultural Arts info at standingrock.net
Fri Jan 6 09:56:20 PST 2006

--MS_Mac_OE_3219396980_579478_MIME_Part

Greetings,

WHO:  STANDING ROCK CULTURAL ARTS

WHAT:  The THIRD ANNUAL STANDING ROCK INTERNATIONAL SHORT FILM AND VIDEO
FESTIVAL =20
-Featuring short films from as far away as Australia and as near as Kent,
Ohio!
-Featuring animation, documentaries, music videos, and collages!
-Featuring local filmmaking legend Robert Banks!
-Featuring Australian animator Darcy Predergast!
-Featuring live film soundtracks with Mike Hovancsek and Joe Culley!
=20
WHEN:  JANUARY 28th, 2006 at 8pm
=20
WHERE:  THE KENT STAGE, 175 E. MAIN ST., KENT, OHIO
(For info about The Kent Stage or for driving directions please go to:
http://www.kentstage.org/)

COST:  $10.00 General Admission, $7.00 Student and Seniors

Updates:  www.standingrock.net

CONTACT:  This event is produced by Jeff Ingram and directed by Mike
Hovancsek.  Call 330-673-4970 or e-mail info at standingrock.net for more
information.

     This year promises to be an exciting one.  First of all, we have
Cleveland filmmaker Robert Banks coming down to screen several of his short
films.  Robert is one of the few independent filmmakers who is actually
making films instead of videos.  He makes abstract, symbolic films that
often include meticulous processes such as hand painting and scratching the
individual frames of the film.  Robert has had his films shown in many
prestigious festivals, including the Sundance Film Festival, The New York
Film Festival, and SXSW.  He also was named Filmmaker of the Year at the
Midwest Filmmakers Conference and in 2000 he was the honored guest filmmake=
in London at the BBC British Short Film Festival.

     In addition to Robert, we've discovered an incredibly talented
filmmaker from Australia named Darcy Prendergast.  Darcy recently won the
Vote Art Award in an international Animation Competition (which can be
viewed at www.noise.net).  His entry "Off the Rails" is a 6-minute clay
animation piece that took over a year to make!  Not being content with the
two-dimensional cartoons he had been drawing since childhood, Darcy
Prendergast moved onto clay animation.  It is a medium he has since
mastered.  "Off the Rails" recently won the national "Big Break"
competition.  More info on Darcy can be found at:
http://www.noise.net/darcyprendergast
=20
     Also, we'll be screening "Blood and Sunflowers", an incredible
animation piece by  California artist, Christiane Cegavske.  Dark and
fascinating, this piece contains all the mystery and awe of a Grimms Fairy
Tale.  Christiane is an accomplished artist in many mediums.  We are honore=
to present her work here.  More info can be found at
http://christianecegavske.com/

     Also, returning this year, we have Mike Hovancsek and Joe Culley
performing live soundtracks to some of the films.  For more information on
these musicians can be found at:  http://mikeh.8m.com/
=20

Thank you for supporting independent filmmakers!

Standing Rock Cultural Arts
257 N. Water St.
Kent, OH 44240
330-673-4970
info at standingrock.net
www.standingrock.net

Additional information on two of the featured filmmakers:
=20
Darcy Prendergast Interview
Tell us something about where you come from:
     I have been drawing cartoons since I was knee high to a texta, if
textas had knees. I've always been a huge fan of cartoons, in my younger
years doing far more watching than producing. Now, it's kind of reversed.
I'm constantly sketching comic strips, people on the train, and weird stuff
from my mind, and writing stories. I felt my drawings weren=B9t jumping off
the page enough however, and so began to look into Clay Animation, the
technique made famous by films such as Wallace and Grommit and Chicken Run.
My love of clay modelling started back in Primary School, making clay
penises to entertain class mates. It was a cheap laugh. From there, I have
taken the art-form a little more seriously, pushing myself so hard for ever=
new film I make. I still get cheap laughs, but the subject matter is
slightly more sophisticated, only slightly. My aim is simple: to bring more
laughter into the world, with a little social commentary along the way.

List five words that describe you:
     Loud, offbeat, crazy, ambitious, dreamer.

Who are some people in your life you admire?
     Adam Elliot, the Academy Award winner and creator of Australia=B9s own,
Harvie Krumpet, the dedication and direction of Adam is nothing short of
amazing, and has traits I want to emulate. His story is so inspiring to me,
as he has achieved exactly what I aspire to. He always has time to assist m=
and unveil the mysteries of the industry. Nick Hilligoss, veteran animator
at the ABC, another mentor to me on my clay animation path. His technical
knowledge in all aspects of production is well honed. I admire his attentio=
to detail and his willingness to make time for me.

How would you describe your work?
     A humorous look at the weirder, more eccentric characters within
society. I love meeting weird people from different walks of life and
cultures.
List your three favourite things:
Building plasticine characters, making people laugh and cleaning my ears.

What do you do for fun?
     Chase sheep, go riding or skating, make bon fires, draw, listen to
tunes, play drums, play cricket, annoy the dogs, annoy my sister through my
terrible singing, and I don't mind drinking a few beers here and there
either.

What do you consider to be essential in your creative process?
     I'd have to say observing people=B9s behaviour and personalities, and
exaggerating them to form an accentuated cartoon character. I then use my
characters to create compelling stories that are worth producing. The
essential part to any film is a solid story. Bad story equals Bad film.

What has been the biggest challenge for you so far?
     Making "Off the Rails", my 6 minute clay animated film. It took over a
year to make, and was an extreme learning curve me. It=B9s easily the most
time consuming form of animation, and every day throws you new challenges.

Do you have a life/creative highlight?
     The highlight so far would have to be when I was watching a screening
of my first film "Couch Potato" at ACMI, which actually included a clay sex
scene. A lady behind me actually remarked "What sort of freak made this?"
and I proudly turned around and said "I did."

How do you imagine yourself in ten years time and what challenges do you
imagine you'll face along the way?
     In ten years time I hope to have an Oscar under the belt, and some
serious funding to back up my animations. Winning the Oscar is going to be =
massive challenge, as is securing some substantial funding. The journey
wouldn=B9t be half as fun if the pinnacle was easy to reach, I enjoy the clim=
upwards.

Is there an idea or subject that you feel obsessed by or curious about at
the moment?
     I'm still obsessed with unusual people. I love meeting people that
"society" considers detached. Their stories are far more interesting.

Noise is...=20
     The constant gibberish that spills from my mouth. It also happens to b=
an encouraging habitat for creative minds.

Robert Banks (filmmaker)
>From Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia.

Robert C. Banks, Jr. (born 1966) is an American experimental filmmaker.
Biography

Banks attended the Cleveland School of the Arts, and has taught film at
Cuyahoga Community College, the Cleveland Institute of Art, and Cleveland
State University.

His best known work is the 1992 film, X: The Baby Cinema, a 4.5 minute, 16
mm short film which chronicled the commercial appropriation of the image of
Malcolm X. The movie appeared on the compilation video The Best Of The New
York Underground:  Year One.

The 1994 feature documentary film, You Can't Get a Piece of Mind explores
the world of Cleveland musician and Vietnam veteran, Dan "Supie T" Theman.

Banks has had his films shown at the Sundance Film Festival, was named
Filmmaker of the Year at the Midwest Filmmakers Conference, and in 2000, he
was the honored guest filmmaker in London at the BBC British Short Film
Festival.

Banks currently lives in Cleveland, Ohio.

Filmography

Banks has made some of his works freely available for downloading. See
external links section for details.

*    (1989) Untitled (16mm)
*    (1990) Froggy Central (16mm)
*    (1992) Eyes (16mm)
*    (1993) X The Baby Cinema (16mm)
*    (1994) My First Drug....The Idiot Box (16mm)
*    (1996) You Can't Get a Piece of Mind (16mm)
*    (1997) MPG: Motion Picture Genocide (35mm)
*    (1998) Jaded (35mm)
*    (1999) Outlet (35mm)
*    (1999) Embryonic (35mm)
*    (1999) Gold Fish Sunflowers (35mm)
*    (1999) Bone Face (35mm)
*    (1999) Love Rusty (8mm/16mm/35mm)
*    (2000) Rage Against the Dying Light
*    (2002) Autopilot
*    (2003) The Devil's Filmmaker: Bohica (cinematographer only)
*    (2004) A.W.O.L. (35mm)
*    (2004) Banks vs. Barney (parody of Matthew Barney's Cremaster)

Awards

*    Filmmaker of the Year (2001), Midwest Filmmakers Conference
*    Jury Citation Award for Outlet, Black Mariah Film Festival
*    Prize Pieces Award, National Black Programming Consortium
*    Best Experimental for X-The Baby Cinema (1993), The First NY
Underground Film Festival

--MS_Mac_OE_3219396980_579478_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>3rd Annual Standing Rock Film Festival</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
Greetings,<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
 <FONT COLOR=3D"#FF0000"><FONT SIZE=3D"5"><B>WHO:</B></FONT></FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"=
5"><B>  STANDING ROCK CULTURAL ARTS <BR>
</B></FONT><BR>
<FONT COLOR=3D"#FF0000"><FONT SIZE=3D"5"><B>WHAT: </B></FONT></FONT><FONT SIZE=3D=
"5"><B> </B></FONT><B><FONT SIZE=3D"4">The THIRD ANNUAL STANDING ROCK INTERNAT=
IONAL SHORT FILM AND VIDEO FESTIVAL</FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"5">  <BR>
</FONT>-Featuring short films from as far away as Australia and as near as =
Kent, Ohio!<BR>
-Featuring animation, documentaries, music videos, and collages!<BR>
-Featuring local filmmaking legend Robert Banks!<BR>
-Featuring Australian animator Darcy Predergast!<BR>
-Featuring live film soundtracks with Mike Hovancsek and Joe Culley!<BR>
</B><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial"> <BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#FF0000"><FONT SIZE=3D"5"><B>WHEN:</B></FONT></FON=
T><FONT SIZE=3D"5"><B>  JANUARY 28th, 2006 at 8pm<BR>
</B></FONT> <BR>
<FONT COLOR=3D"#FF0000"><FONT SIZE=3D"5"><B>WHERE:</B></FONT></FONT><FONT SIZE=3D=
"5"><B>  THE KENT STAGE, 175 E. MAIN ST., KENT, OHIO<BR>
</B></FONT><B>(For info about The Kent Stage or for driving directions plea=
se go to: http://www.kentstage.org/)<BR>
</B><FONT SIZE=3D"5"><BR>
<FONT COLOR=3D"#FF0000"><B>COST:</B></FONT><B>  $10.00 General Admission=
, $7.00 Student and Seniors<BR>
</B></FONT><H2><BR>
</H2><FONT COLOR=3D"#FF0000"><FONT SIZE=3D"5"><B>Updates:  </B></FONT></FO=
NT><FONT SIZE=3D"5"><B>www.standingrock.net<BR>
</B></FONT><H2><BR>
</H2><FONT COLOR=3D"#FF0000"><FONT SIZE=3D"5"><B>CONTACT:</B></FONT></FONT><B><=
FONT SIZE=3D"4">  </FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"5">This event is produced by Jeff In=
gram and directed by Mike Hovancsek.  Call 330-673-4970 or e-mail info@=
standingrock.net for more information.<BR>
</FONT></B><FONT SIZE=3D"5"><BR>
</FONT><B>     This year promises to be an exciting one=
.  First of all, we have Cleveland filmmaker <FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><FON=
T SIZE=3D"4">Robert Banks</FONT></FONT> coming down to screen several of his s=
hort films.  Robert is one of the few independent filmmakers who is act=
ually making <I>films</I> instead of videos.  He makes abstract, symbol=
ic films that often include meticulous processes such as hand painting and s=
cratching the individual frames of the film.  Robert has had his films =
shown in many prestigious festivals, including the Sundance Film Festival, T=
he New York Film Festival, and SXSW.  He also was named Filmmaker of th=
e Year at the Midwest Filmmakers Conference and in 2000 he was the honored g=
uest filmmaker in London at the BBC British Short Film Festival.  <BR>
</B><BR>
<B>     In addition to Robert, we've discovered an incr=
edibly talented filmmaker from Australia named <FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><FONT S=
IZE=3D"4">Darcy Prendergast</FONT></FONT>.  Darcy<FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><F=
ONT SIZE=3D"4"> </FONT></FONT>recently won the Vote Art Award in an internatio=
nal Animation Competition (which can be viewed at www.noise.net).  His =
entry "Off the Rails" is a 6-minute clay animation piece that took=
 over a year to make!  Not being content with the two-dimensional carto=
ons he had been drawing since childhood, Darcy Prendergast moved onto clay a=
nimation.  It is a medium he has since mastered.  "Off the Ra=
ils" recently won the national "Big Break" competition. &nbsp=
;More info on Darcy can be found at:  http://www.noise.net/darcyprender=
gast<BR>
</B> <BR>
<B>     Also, we'll be screening "Blood and Sunflo=
wers", an incredible animation piece by  California artist, <FONT =
COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><FONT SIZE=3D"4">Christiane Cegavsk</FONT>e.  </FONT>Dark=
 and fascinating, this piece contains all the mystery and awe of a Grimms Fa=
iry Tale.  <FONT SIZE=3D"4">Christiane </FONT>is<FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"> </=
FONT>an accomplished artist in many mediums.  We are honored to present=
 her work here.<FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"> </FONT> More info can be found at<FONT=
 COLOR=3D"#0000FF">  </FONT>http://christianecegavske.com/<BR>
</B><FONT SIZE=3D"4"><BR>
</FONT><B>     Also, returning this year, we have <FONT=
 COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><FONT SIZE=3D"4">Mike Hovancsek and Joe Culley</FONT></FONT> =
performing live soundtracks to some of the films.  For more information=
 on these musicians can be found at:  http://mikeh.8m.com/<BR>
</B> <BR>
<B><BR>
</B><H2>Thank you for supporting independent filmmakers!<BR>
<BR>
</H2><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">Standing Rock Cultural Arts<BR>
257 N. Water St.<BR>
Kent, OH 44240<BR>
330-673-4970<BR>
<FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><U>info at standingrock.net<BR>
www.standingrock.net<BR>
<BR>
</U></FONT><H1>Additional information on two of the featured filmmakers:<BR=

</H1><H3> <BR>
</H3><H2>Darcy Prendergast Interview<BR>
</H2></FONT><B>Tell us something about where you come from:<BR>
</B>     I have been drawing cartoons since I was knee =
high to a texta, if textas had knees. I've always been a huge fan of cartoon=
s, in my younger years doing far more watching than producing. Now, it's kin=
d of reversed.  I'm constantly sketching comic strips, people on the tr=
ain, and weird stuff from my mind, and writing stories. I felt my drawings w=
eren=B9t jumping off the page enough however, and so began to look into Clay A=
nimation, the technique made famous by films such as Wallace and Grommit and=
 Chicken Run. My love of clay modelling started back in Primary School, maki=
ng clay penises to entertain class mates. It was a cheap laugh. From there, =
I have taken the art-form a little more seriously, pushing myself so hard fo=
r every new film I make. I still get cheap laughs, but the subject matter is=
 slightly more sophisticated, only slightly. My aim is simple: to bring more=
 laughter into the world, with a little social commentary along the way.<BR>
<B><BR>
List five words that describe you:<BR>
</B>     Loud, offbeat, crazy, ambitious, dreamer.<BR>
<B><BR>
Who are some people in your life you admire?<BR>
</B>     Adam Elliot, the Academy Award winner and crea=
tor of Australia=B9s own, Harvie Krumpet, the dedication and direction of Adam=
 is nothing short of amazing, and has traits I want to emulate. His story is=
 so inspiring to me, as he has achieved exactly what I aspire to. He always =
has time to assist me and unveil the mysteries of the industry. Nick Hilligo=
ss, veteran animator at the ABC, another mentor to me on my clay animation p=
ath. His technical knowledge in all aspects of production is well honed. I a=
dmire his attention to detail and his willingness to make time for me.<BR>
<BR>
<B>How would you describe your work?<BR>
</B>     A humorous look at the weirder, more eccentric=
 characters within society. I love meeting weird people from different walks=
 of life and cultures.<BR>
<B>List your three favourite things:<BR>
</B>Building plasticine characters, making people laugh and cleaning my ear=
s.<BR>
 <BR>
<B>What do you do for fun? <BR>
</B>     Chase sheep, go riding or skating, make bon fi=
res, draw, listen to tunes, play drums, play cricket, annoy the dogs, annoy =
my sister through my terrible singing, and I don't mind drinking a few beers=
 here and there either.<BR>
<BR>
<B>What do you consider to be essential in your creative process? <BR>
</B>     I'd have to say observing people=B9s behaviour a=
nd personalities, and exaggerating them to form an accentuated cartoon chara=
cter. I then use my characters to create compelling stories that are worth p=
roducing. The essential part to any film is a solid story. Bad story equals =
Bad film.<BR>
<BR>
<B>What has been the biggest challenge for you so far? <BR>
</B>     Making "Off the Rails", my 6 minute =
clay animated film. It took over a year to make, and was an extreme learning=
 curve me. It=B9s easily the most time consuming form of animation, and every =
day throws you new challenges.<BR>
<BR>
<B>Do you have a life/creative highlight? <BR>
</B>     The highlight so far would have to be when I w=
as watching a screening of my first film "Couch Potato" at ACMI, w=
hich actually included a clay sex scene. A lady behind me actually remarked =
"What sort of freak made this?" and I proudly turned around and sa=
id "I did."<BR>
<BR>
<B>How do you imagine yourself in ten years time and what challenges do you=
 imagine you'll face along the way?<BR>
</B>     In ten years time I hope to have an Oscar unde=
r the belt, and some serious funding to back up my animations. Winning the O=
scar is going to be a massive challenge, as is securing some substantial fun=
ding. The journey wouldn=B9t be half as fun if the pinnacle was easy to reach,=
 I enjoy the climb upwards.<BR>
<BR>
<B>Is there an idea or subject that you feel obsessed by or curious about a=
t the moment?<BR>
</B>     I'm still obsessed with unusual people. I love=
 meeting people that "society" considers detached. Their stories a=
re far more interesting.<BR>
<BR>
<B>Noise is... <BR>
</B>     The constant gibberish that spills from my mou=
th. It also happens to be an encouraging habitat for creative minds.<BR>
<B><BR>
<FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><FONT FACE=3D"Gadget"><U><BR>
</U></FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman"><BR>
</FONT></B><FONT FACE=3D"Times"><H2><BR>
Robert Banks (filmmaker)<BR>
</H2><FONT SIZE=3D"4"><B><I>From Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia</I></B></FO=
NT><B><I>. <BR>
</I><BR>
<BR>
Robert C. Banks, Jr. (born <FONT COLOR=3D"#0033CC">1966</FONT>) is an America=
n <FONT COLOR=3D"#0033CC">experimental filmmaker</FONT>.<BR>
</B></FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"5">Biography<BR>
</FONT><BR>
Banks attended the Cleveland School of the Arts, and has taught film at Cuy=
ahoga Community College, the <FONT COLOR=3D"#0033CC">Cleveland Institute of Ar=
t</FONT>, and <FONT COLOR=3D"#0033CC">Cleveland State University</FONT>.<BR>
<BR>
His best known work is the 1992 film, <FONT COLOR=3D"#CC3300"><I>X: The Baby =
Cinema</I></FONT>, a 4.5 minute, <FONT COLOR=3D"#0033CC">16 mm</FONT> <FONT CO=
LOR=3D"#0033CC">short film</FONT> which chronicled the commercial appropriatio=
n of the image of <FONT COLOR=3D"#0033CC">Malcolm X</FONT>. The movie appeared=
 on the compilation video <I>The Best Of The New York Underground:  Yea=
r One</I>.<BR>
<BR>
The 1994 feature documentary film, <FONT COLOR=3D"#0033CC"><I>You Can't Get a=
 Piece of Mind</I></FONT> explores the world of Cleveland musician and Vietn=
am veteran, <FONT COLOR=3D"#0033CC">Dan "Supie T" Theman</FONT>.<BR>
<BR>
<B>Banks has had his films shown at the Sundance Film Festival, was named F=
ilmmaker of the Year at the Midwest Filmmakers Conference, and in 2000, he w=
as the honored guest filmmaker in London at the BBC British Short Film Festi=
val.<BR>
</B><BR>
Banks currently lives in <FONT COLOR=3D"#0033CC">Cleveland</FONT>, Ohio.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<FONT SIZE=3D"5">Filmography<BR>
</FONT><BR>
Banks has made some of his works freely available for downloading. See exte=
rnal links section for details.<BR>
<BR>
*    (1989) <FONT COLOR=3D"#CC3300"><I>Untitled</I></FONT> (16=
mm)<BR>
*    (1990) <FONT COLOR=3D"#CC3300"><I>Froggy Central</I></FON=
T> (16mm)<BR>
*    (1992) <FONT COLOR=3D"#CC3300"><I>Eyes</I></FONT> (16mm)<=

*    (1993) <FONT COLOR=3D"#CC3300"><I>X The Baby Cinema</I></=
FONT> (16mm)<BR>
*    (1994) <FONT COLOR=3D"#CC3300"><I>My First Drug....The Id=
iot Box</I></FONT> (16mm)<BR>
*    (1996) <FONT COLOR=3D"#0033CC"><I>You Can't Get a Piece o=
f Mind</I></FONT> (16mm)<BR>
*    (1997) <FONT COLOR=3D"#0033CC"><I>MPG: Motion Picture Gen=
ocide</I></FONT> (35mm)<BR>
*    (1998) <FONT COLOR=3D"#0033CC"><I>Jaded</I></FONT> (35mm)=
<BR>
*    (1999) <FONT COLOR=3D"#CC3300"><I>Outlet</I></FONT> (35mm=
)<BR>
*    (1999) <FONT COLOR=3D"#CC3300"><I>Embryonic</I></FONT> (3=
5mm)<BR>
*    (1999) <FONT COLOR=3D"#CC3300"><I>Gold Fish Sunflowers</I=
></FONT> (35mm)<BR>
*    (1999) <FONT COLOR=3D"#CC3300"><I>Bone Face</I></FONT> (3=
5mm)<BR>
*    (1999) <FONT COLOR=3D"#CC3300"><I>Love Rusty</I></FONT> (=
8mm/16mm/35mm)<BR>
*    (2000) <FONT COLOR=3D"#CC3300"><I>Rage Against the Dying =
Light<BR>
</I></FONT>*    (2002) <FONT COLOR=3D"#0033CC"><I>Autopilot<BR=

</I></FONT>*    (2003) <FONT COLOR=3D"#CC3300"><I>The Devil's =
Filmmaker: Bohica</I></FONT> (cinematographer only)<BR>
*    (2004) <FONT COLOR=3D"#0033CC"><I>A.W.O.L.</I></FONT> (35=
mm)<BR>
*    (2004) <FONT COLOR=3D"#CC3300"><I>Banks vs. Barney</I></F=
ONT> (parody of <FONT COLOR=3D"#0033CC">Matthew Barney</FONT>'s <FONT COLOR=3D"#=
0033CC"><I>Cremaster</I></FONT>)<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<FONT SIZE=3D"5">Awards<BR>
</FONT><BR>
*    <I>Filmmaker of the Year</I> (2001), Midwest Filmmakers=
 Conference<BR>
*    <I>Jury Citation Award</I> for <I>Outlet</I>, Black Mar=
iah Film Festival<BR>
*    <I>Prize Pieces Award</I>, National Black Programming C=
onsortium<BR>
*    <I>Best Experimental</I> for <I>X-The Baby Cinema</I> (=
1993), The First NY Underground Film Festival<BR>
<BR>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3219396980_579478_MIME_Part--