[NEohioPAL]Re: Rent review / Actors Equity

Eric Oswald eoswaldbigred at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 9 04:06:24 PST 2006

This is probably something that should go over to the
NEOPAL Yahoo Group, but I had to respond to one thing
about Adam Kern's missive to the NEOPAL Group.  He
asked "What's the big deal about a 'Community' Theatre
hiring on an equity actor or two when we're part of
that same community also?"

I feel that hiring an Equity actor or two at a
"Community Theatre" would negate the whole purpose of
Community Theater.  It is supposed to be a place where
members of the community can have an involvement in
theater that they normally wouldn't have.  If
community theatres were to all start having several
Equity contracts per show, then the opportunities for
your "average Janes and Joes" to have a chance in the
spotlight would be gone and it would start becoming
"professional" theater, not "community" theater.  Just
my humble, "Average Joe" opinion.

Eric Oswald
Community Theater Actor