[NEohioPAL]Literature Dept. @ Cleveland Public Library...A Great Resource!

Donald Boozer donald.boozer at cpl.org
Tue Mar 7 06:57:02 PST 2006

Introducing one of the best-kept secrets in Northeast Ohio...

The Literature Department at Cleveland Public Library is a great reso=
urce for those involved in the performing arts. Whether you need a mo=
nologue for an audition, ideas for stage makeup, or tips for running =
a theater, the Literature Department is your starting place for autho=
ritative information. Every week, we will be posting helpful books al=
ong with links to our catalog for ease in reserving titles. Books fea=
tured here can be borrowed through any CLEVNET library with the touch=
 of a button. Whether you're from Cleveland, Fremont, Twinsburg, or O=
rrville, just place a hold through the link provided and choose your =
library as the pickup location. Useful web sites will also be highlig=
hted from time to time to keep you updated on valuable online resourc=
es.

The Literature Department is located on the second floor of the Main =
Library, downtown Cleveland, at East Sixth Street and Superior Avenue=
. For more information, visit our location, call 216-623-2881, or ema=
il us at =93literature <at> cpl.org.=94

As for highlights this week...

Haring-Smith, Tori.
Even More Monologues for Women by Women.
Heinemann, 2001.
(PN2080 .M5475 2001)
http://www.cpl.org/cgi-bin/lookup.pl?isbn=3D0325002479
(Link includes cover art and table of contents)
"Like the first two volumes in this series, [this book] features a wi=
de range of voices and characters, but this time with a more internat=
ional focus."

Unwin, Stephen.
So You Want To Be A Theatre Director?
Nick Hern Books, 2004.
(PN2053 .U59 2004)
http://www.cpl.org/cgi-bin/lookup.pl?isbn=3D1854597795
(Link includes cover art and table of contents)
"A hands-on, step-by-step guide to directing plays - by one of Britai=
n's leading theatre directors."

Webb, Duncan M.
Running Theaters: Best Practices for Leaders and Managers.
Allworth Press, 2004.
(PN2053 .W36 2004)
http://www.cpl.org/cgi-bin/lookup.pl?isbn=3D1581153937
A comprehensive resource including facility operations, audience deve=
lopment, fundraising, staff and volunteer management, and much more.

Online Resource:

Interplay
http://www.lib.pdx.edu/systems/interplay/
Interplay, a free database from Portland State University, is an onli=
ne index to more than 17,500 plays published in collections, antholog=
ies, and periodicals in both English and foreign language sources fro=
m the late nineteenth century to the present.

Donald Boozer, Literature Department
Cleveland Public Library
325 Superior Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44114
donald.boozer at cpl.org
216-623-2881 / 216-623-7050 (fax)
http://www.cpl.org