[NEOPAL]Sound Designer/Music Director Josh Senick going to Grad School

Josh Senick jsenick at mac.com
Fri Mar 24 09:31:25 PST 2006

Hello everyone,

I've worked with many of you over the past six years in various
capacities.  I've acted, played in orchestra pits, music directed,
directed, and sound designed for productions from Bay Village to
Madison and everywhere in between.  Because of the sheer number of
people I've worked with, I'm writing this bulk e-mail to NEOPAL (and
a few other people directly) in hopes that it will reach everyone who
may be interested in my plans.

After graduating with my BA in Music and Theater from Case in May
'05, I've been busy doing IT for Case's Music department while taking
on a limited number of projects on the side.  I started sound
designing two years ago for Case's theater department, and realizing
how much I enjoyed the process, have started to focus my energies in
that area.  This past December I decided to begin looking into MFA
programs in sound design.

After an exhausting month visiting the five schools I applied to
(UMKC, NCSA, Univ of Cinci, CalArts, and Yale), I've decided to move
to Los Angeles in late August to attend CalArts' three-year MFA
program in sound design.  At CalArts I'll have the opportunity to not
only design sound and compose for theatrical projects, but films and
and animation as well.

I am indebted to the Cleveland theater community for providing me
with many varied projects over the six years I've been here.  Working
in the Cleveland theaters has alternated between frustrating,
challenging, and fun, but all the projects I've contributed to have
been rewarding.  As I began interviewing at grad schools, all were
impressed with not only the length of my resume, but the various
kinds of projects I've worked on over such a short period of time.

There are a few people in particular I'd like to thank publicly for
their support.  I am indebted to everyone at Case, specifically Steve
McCue for taking a risk and letting me do my first full-scale sound
design for him, and Ron Wilson for hiring me to continue to design
for Case after that.  From CIM, I need to thank Marla Berg for her
amazing vocal instruction (I continue using her tricks in my vocal
coaching), Anita Pontremoli for taking me on as her student and
putting up with me all those weeks (months?) I was too busy with
outside projects to practice my classical piano repertoire, and Steve
Kohn for teaching me so much about computer audio technology.

In the theater scene, I'm indebted to Tom Meyrose at Huntington
Playhouse for giving me my first full-size music direction project.
I'd like to thank Willoughby Fine Arts and Dobama for their
productions of Missionaries and Highway Ulysses, respectively; those
two productions pushed my skills to their limits and helped me grow
considerably as an artist.  I'd like to thank all the actors,
directors, and musicians I've worked with for all their input and
hard work.  There are of course many more people who deserve thanks;
I'll do that in a more private forum.  I've also lost contact with a
lot of cool people I've worked with.  I'm just an e-mail away, guys.
Drop me a line and we can hang out before I go.

Because I've focused my attention on grad school admissions, I have
not booked much work for the summer.  If you're looking for a music
director, sound designer, sound operator/technician, pianist, vocal
coach, computer consultant, or any other number of loosely related
jobs, please feel free to contact me at jsenick at mac.com.  I'll be
here until the last few weeks of August.

Thanks for everything, Cleveland.  I won't forget the lessons I've
learned here and the good time's I've had.

Josh Senick