[NEOPAL]WHY STUDY ACTING at FAIRMOUNT? Fulton's Students Reflect...

Tom Q. Fulton tfulton at campus.jcu.edu
Wed Mar 29 08:02:45 PST 2006

------_=_NextPart_001_01C6534A.3D220A7B

New Professional Acting Session (Acting - American Theatre) =20
Begins This TUESDAY, April 4, 2006=20
There are only 4 slots left!  So register now...  440-338-3171
At the Mayfield Village Performing Arts Center
<http://www.fairmountcenter.org/mayfield/theatre.htm>  - In Partnership
with The Fairmount Center <http://www.fairmountcenter.org/> .

To learn more click here
<http://www.fairmountcenter.org/theatre_american.htm> .
The Professional Acting Workshops, led by Executive Director Tom Fulton,
provide the highest quality professional actor training for adults (ages
18 and up) and are grounded in the most practical and powerful actor
training concepts of the 20th century: The Stanislavski System.  They
provide a clearly defined practical education to those desiring to make
acting their profession or passionate vocation, providing an approach to
acting which requires the actor to work from a place of truth and
physical action.  Mr. Fulton is a working theater artist who loves to
teach, and has been teaching acting and directing since 1978. =20
_______
Reflections:  Read what actors have to say about the workshops:

Cleveland's Scene Magazine Names Tom Fulton Best Acting Teacher of 2004
"Many of the area's professional actors and quite a number of aspiring
amateurs seek out Tom Fulton for guidance in developing stage
characterizations.
Basing his classes at the Fairmount Center on the teachings of
Stanislavski, Fulton goes far beyond the stereotype of self indulgent
method acting. By putting each performer in touch with the physical
reality of the role under consideration, Fulton purges actors of the
"head games" they love to indulge in--and he does it all with a warm
smile."

Jeff Grover - Actor=20
"I had the privilege to participate in Tom Fulton's recent Chekhov
class. I found the experience to be eye and mind opening, in the same
way I did when working on "The Seagull" under his direction at Beck
Center earlier in 2004. Tom has a way of asking questions that enable
the participant to discover what is underneath the surface, without
insulting one's esteem or experience. It is delightful to see nuances,
as well as gain dramatic "ah hahs" that open doors to thinking, feeling
and behaving in a manner that seems so much more truthful, honest, and
frankly, exciting. If you want to expand your sense of self, as well as
your integrity and fun on stage, get on board with Tom."

Kelly Holt - Associate Professor Emeritus - Theater Arts and Dance -
CASE
"Tom Fulton's sustaining contribution to North Eastern Ohio's theater
vitality is well known and laudably appreciated. But, that his enduring
respect for the principles of the actor's craft definitively examined
and refined by Constantin Stanislavski, pedagogically elaborated and
culturally interpolated by those outstanding actor-teachers of the Group
Theater (Adler, Clurman, Lewis and Strasberg), elevates his commanding
perspective of the materials to the status of his magnificent
predecessors. Two decades his senior, I "discovered" him in my
retirement and now return avidly to examine my own innate creative
resources within the environment engendered by his masterfully honed
perceptivity!"

-Dolores Boda- Actor
"I told a director friend of mine what an incredible experience my
acting class with Tom Fulton had been. I described to my friend the
satisfaction I felt when I looked up to see Tom and the rest of the
class smiling and silent as my scene partner and I finished our scene
from the Three Sisters; it was one of those moments when you know you
got it, the art of what we do.  - My friend said, "You have discovered
the main benefit of working in acting classes: the chance to really
focus on the "Art" with people who understand and appreciate that; and
can help you grow as an actress." I couldn't say it any better.=20

That is what Tom does--- in an environment where you are challenged to
explore, where you are expected to explore, and in which that
exploration is appreciated. I highly recommend Tom Fulton's acting class
to novice and experienced actors."

-Mary Jane Nottage- Actor=20
"Cleveland is so lucky to have Tom Fulton as a Theatre Coach. I am so
grateful for his help in analyzing scripts, finding the key to scenes
and personally working on how to develop and explore any character from
Williams to Shaw to Shakespeare.  He has a knack of working individually
with each student on their own level and helping them solve their own
particular acting problems. His criticism is always accompanied with
suggestions and ideas on how to solve the acting problems.=20

He has worked with me to help me find the honest, relaxed and personal
approach.. Scenes and monologues are usually worked on about four times
in class. It is always exciting to see other class members grow and
stretch and develop during the course of the workshop."

-Anne Markt-
"Chekhov acting classes with Tom Fulton were excellent. I sincerely
recommend them to anyone looking to hone their acting skills. Tom is
such an incredible teacher. Each and every time I went to class I
witnessed a scene bloom from mediocre to mesmerizing. Tom's direction
revealed Chekhov's true tragic and comedic genius, while taking us to
levels as actors we never knew we could reach. With Tom's expansive
knowledge and input, we learned the difference between simply acting
compared to being involved physically and mentally in a scene. Most
importantly, we learned how to incorporate the physical reality which is
vital to making any performance come alive.=20

What I also liked about the classes is that it wasn't just teaching. Tom
pushed us to use our own imaginations and find the wants and overall
objectives for our characters. He passed on his knowledge so that we can
become independent actors. I learned how to take a show and break it
down in order to make my own discoveries. It is our job as actors to
create our character, not be told how. I'll admit that if I had seen
Chekhov or even done it without taking these classes I would have been
lost. I can't wait to take all the skills I learned and apply them to
the next show I'm in."

-Aaron Coleman-
"The insight I've learned will remain with me for the rest of my career
and my life. Tom coaches us to bring our own life experience and
humanity to the work. His class was nothing less than an epiphany."

=20

------_=_NextPart_001_01C6534A.3D220A7B

xmlns:dt=3D"uuid:C2F41010-65B3-11d1-A29F-00AA00C14882" =
xmlns:st1=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" =

<head>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
<o:SmartTagType =
namespaceuri=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"
 name=3D"City" =
downloadurl=3D"http://www.5iamas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"/>
 name=3D"PlaceType" downloadurl=3D"http://www.5iantlavalamp.com/"/>
 name=3D"PlaceName" downloadurl=3D"http://www.5iantlavalamp.com/"/>
<o:SmartTagType =
namespaceuri=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"
 name=3D"place" downloadurl=3D"http://www.5iantlavalamp.com/"/>
<!--[if !mso]>
st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }
<![endif]-->
<!--
 /* Font Definitions */
 @font-face
	{font-family:"ITC Stone Sans Std Medium";
	panose-1:2 11 6 2 3 5 3 2 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Geneva;
	panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0;}
 /* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";}
h1
	{margin-top:12.0pt;
	margin-right:0in;
	margin-bottom:3.0pt;
	margin-left:0in;
	page-break-after:avoid;
	font-size:16.0pt;
	font-family:Arial;
	font-weight:bold;}
h2
	{margin-top:12.0pt;
	margin-right:0in;
	margin-bottom:3.0pt;
	margin-left:0in;
	page-break-after:avoid;
	font-size:14.0pt;
	font-family:Arial;
	font-weight:bold;
	font-style:italic;}
h3
	{margin-top:12.0pt;
	margin-right:0in;
	margin-bottom:3.0pt;
	margin-left:0in;
	page-break-after:avoid;
	font-size:13.0pt;
	font-family:Arial;
	font-weight:bold;}
h4
	{margin-top:12.0pt;
	margin-right:0in;
	margin-bottom:3.0pt;
	margin-left:0in;
	page-break-after:avoid;
	font-size:14.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";
	font-weight:bold;}
h5
	{margin-top:12.0pt;
	margin-right:0in;
	margin-bottom:3.0pt;
	margin-left:0in;
	font-size:13.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";
	font-weight:bold;
	font-style:italic;}
h6
	{margin-top:12.0pt;
	margin-right:0in;
	margin-bottom:3.0pt;
	margin-left:0in;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";
	font-weight:bold;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
	{mso-margin-top-alt:auto;
	margin-right:0in;
	mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;
	margin-left:0in;
	font-size:8.5pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";}
p.style2, li.style2, div.style2
	{mso-margin-top-alt:auto;
	margin-right:0in;
	mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;
	margin-left:0in;
	font-size:9.0pt;
	font-family:Geneva;}
span.EmailStyle19
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	color:black;}
span.style21
	{font-family:Geneva;}
span.EmailStyle23
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"ITC Stone Sans Std Medium";
	color:windowtext;}
@page Section1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;}
div.Section1
	{page:Section1;}
-->
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
 <o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
 <o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
  <o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
 </o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
</head>

style=3D'font-size:
14.0pt;font-family:Geneva'>New Professional Acting Session (<i><span
style=3D'font-style:italic'>Acting - American Theatre</span></i>) =
size=3D4><span style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-weight:bold'><br>
style=3D'font-size:
12.0pt;font-family:Geneva'>Begins This TUESDAY, April 4, 2006 =
style=3D'font-weight:bold'><br>
face=3DGeneva><span
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:Geneva;color:maroon;font-style:ital=
ic'>There
are only 4 slots left!  So register now…  =
size=3D2 color=3Dmaroon><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;color:maroon;font-weight:
bold;font-style:italic'><br>
face=3DGeneva><span
style=3D'font-size:8.0pt;font-family:Geneva;color:maroon;font-weight:norm=
al;
font-style:italic'>At the <a
href=3D"http://www.fairmountcenter.org/mayfield/theatre.htm">Mayfield =
Village
Performing Arts Center</a> – In Partnership with <a
href=3D"http://www.fairmountcenter.org/">The Fairmount =
size=3D2 color=3Dmaroon face=3DGeneva><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:Geneva;

style=3D'font-size:
9.0pt;font-family:Geneva'>To learn more <a
href=3D"http://www.fairmountcenter.org/theatre_american.htm"><span
style=3D'font-weight:normal'>click =
style=3D'font-weight:bold'><br>
led by
Executive Director Tom Fulton, provide the highest quality professional =
actor
training for adults (ages 18 and up) and are grounded in the most =
practical and
powerful actor training concepts of the 20th century: The Stanislavski =
System.  They
provide a clearly defined practical education to those desiring to make =
acting
their profession or passionate vocation, providing an approach to acting =
which
requires the actor to work from a place of truth and physical =
action.  Mr.
Fulton is a working theater artist who loves to teach, and has been =
teaching
face=3DGeneva><span
style=3D'font-weight:bold'><br>
style=3D'font-family:Geneva'>____________________________________________=
style=3D'font-size:14.0pt;font-family:Geneva;color:maroon'>Reflections:&n=
bsp;
Read what actors have to say about the =
face=3DGeneva><span =

w:st=3D"on"><strong><b><font
  size=3D1 face=3DGeneva><span =
/strong></st1:City></st1:place><strong><b><font
face=3DGeneva><span style=3D'font-family:Geneva'>'s Scene Magazine Names =
Tom Fulton
"Many of the area's professional actors and quite a number of =
aspiring
amateurs seek out Tom Fulton for guidance in developing stage
characterizations.<br>
Basing his classes at the <st1:PlaceName =
w:st=3D"on">Fairmount</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType
w:st=3D"on">Center</st1:PlaceType> on the teachings of Stanislavski, =
<st1:place
w:st=3D"on"><st1:City w:st=3D"on">Fulton</st1:City></st1:place> goes far =
beyond the
stereotype of self indulgent method acting. By putting each performer in =
touch
with the physical reality of the role under consideration, Fulton purges =
actors
of the "head games" they love to indulge in--and he does it =
all with
a warm smile."<o:p></o:p></p>

face=3DGeneva><span
style=3D'font-size:9.0pt;font-family:Geneva;font-weight:bold'>Jeff =
Grover - Actor
style=3D'font-size:9.0pt;font-family:
Geneva'>"I had the privilege to participate in Tom Fulton's recent =
Chekhov
class. I found the experience to be eye and mind opening, in the same =
way I did
when working on "The Seagull" under his direction at =
<st1:place
w:st=3D"on"><st1:PlaceName w:st=3D"on">Beck</st1:PlaceName> =
<st1:PlaceType w:st=3D"on">Center</st1:PlaceType></st1:place>
earlier in 2004. Tom has a way of asking questions that enable the =
participant
to discover what is underneath the surface, without insulting one's =
esteem or
experience. It is delightful to see nuances, as well as gain dramatic =
"ah
hahs" that open doors to thinking, feeling and behaving in a manner =
that
seems so much more truthful, honest, and frankly, exciting. If you want =
expand your sense of self, as well as your integrity and fun on stage, =
get on
board with Tom."<br>
<b><span style=3D'font-weight:bold'>Kelly Holt - Associate Professor =
Emeritus -
"Tom Fulton's sustaining contribution to North Eastern Ohio's =
theater
vitality is well known and laudably appreciated. But, that his enduring =
respect
for the principles of the actor's craft definitively examined and =
refined by
Constantin Stanislavski, pedagogically elaborated and culturally =
interpolated
by those outstanding actor-teachers of the Group Theater (Adler, =
Clurman, Lewis
and Strasberg), elevates his commanding perspective of the materials to =
the
status of his magnificent predecessors. Two decades his senior, I
"discovered" him in my retirement and now return avidly to =
examine my
own innate creative resources within the environment engendered by his
masterfully honed perceptivity!"<br>
"I told a director friend of mine what an incredible experience my =
acting
class with Tom Fulton had been. I described to my friend the =
satisfaction I
felt when I looked up to see Tom and the rest of the class smiling and =
silent
as my scene partner and I finished our scene from the Three Sisters; it =
was one
of those moments when you know you got it, the art of what we do. =
 - My
friend said, "You have discovered the main benefit of working in =
acting
classes: the chance to really focus on the "Art" with people =
who
understand and appreciate that; and can help you grow as an =
actress." I
couldn't say it any better. <br>
That is what Tom does--- in an environment where you are challenged to =
explore,
where you are expected to explore, and in which that exploration is
appreciated. I highly recommend Tom Fulton's acting class to novice and
experienced actors."<br>
-Mary Jane Nottage- Actor <br>
w:st=3D"on">Cleveland</st1:City></st1:place>
[...]
develop during the course of the workshop."<br>
[...]
in."<br>
"The insight I've learned will remain with me for the rest of my =
career
and my life. Tom coaches us to bring our own life experience and =
humanity to
the work. His class was nothing less than an =
epiphany."</span></font><font

style=3D'font-size:

------_=_NextPart_001_01C6534A.3D220A7B--